Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Story Length and Choice

7 years ago

Hi, I've been playing story games on this site in passing, and I've finally decided to make an account. I wanted to know, for a beginning story, what would be a good length and amount of choices per page? For instance: a story with 5 choices per page, or a story with 2 choices per page. Thanks in advance! 

Story Length and Choice

7 years ago

Hi, welcome to CYStia. First of all, the length is up to you, but don't make a 5 page story and expect it to stay published (stories can be unpublished if they have horrible reviews). Second of all, the usual amount of choices ranges form 3 to 2, but if you think more choices will be needed, you may add them.

Story Length and Choice

7 years ago

There's really no right answer to this, put in as many choices as you have directions for the story to go. But five as a standard thing would get overwhelming fast. Usually you see two or three.

I'd recommend actually mapping out the paths on paper or using a program like Twine (or even MSPaint!) to help you visualize what you're getting yourself into while plotting them out, either way.

Story Length and Choice

7 years ago
1 to 3 per page.

Story Length and Choice

7 years ago
Welcome to the site :)
For how many choices/pages you write, it's really up to you! Write however many it takes to develop a fleshed-out story. When you're writing, think to yourself, where can I improve this story? Where could I expand it?

Story Length and Choice

7 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback! I wasn't really sure about this, so all the feedback is great! I'll get started on a story, and keep this advice in mind.