Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hallå! I am raijania, a newbie!

6 years ago

I wish I'd known about this beautiful website sooner! I love reading and playing games especially choose-your-own style games. I've been a writer for a long time, but not of story games, but I'm going to give it my best shot so I would love any tips you have for a newbie :)

6 years ago

Welcome to the Site!

Reading some of the higher rated storygames can give you some ideas on how a good can be written. Keep in mind that some are more story than game, or vice versa.
Also, proofreading is very important. It isn't very fun, but it makes the end product soooo much better.
It is usually recommended to start with something small, since you are less likely to lose motivation to finish it, and it is good practice.
Keep in mind that planning can be great, especially for bigger stories, but everyone has their own style so you don't have to do it (but I recommend it).

There is a lot you can do with storygames, you can add variables and script to make just about anything, throw in some HTML/JavaScript/CCS coding and you CAN make anything (or so I think). But do keep in mind that a good storygame doesn't HAVE to have these in it, it is just an option.

Finally, remember that this isn't your job, don't get too stressed out about it. Also keep in mind that (unless you are in a contest) there is no deadline for finishing the storygame, so take as long as you need.

Oh, also you can check out some of the Help & Info articles, they have some great information. You can also ask some more specific questions (or even for feedback) in the appropriate sub forums.
I am sure some people wouldn't mind you pming them questions either.

Good luck with reading/writing.

TL;DR
Just some of the things that came to my head after reading your post. Main point being: Welcome and have fun.

6 years ago

welcome newb, my name is minnieking.

6 years ago
Welcome