Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Writing my first story

6 years ago

I found this site a week or so ago and I've already decided I want to write my own story. I have a plot idea and have seven or more endings planned but is there anything I should know before starting or tips that anyone has? 

Writing my first story

6 years ago

Well the best thing to do is read the top storygames, as they're always helpful for an idea on what's really good. Link

Make sure you proofread! :)

Writing my first story

6 years ago
Welcome! The first page looks pretty decent and it's good you've done that much planning ahead of time. Just don't get discouraged if it all turns out to be a bit more work than expected, even a medium length CYOA can take a certain amount of dedication once all those alternate paths start adding up.

You don't have to worry about indenting paragraphs, that's actually a bit annoying to read on a screen. (Though it looks like you drop that after the first page anyhow...)

Once quick note on dialogue before you get any further:

“We are going tonight!” she declares. “I already have it worked out. I will sneak out around-”. // This is correct.

“A birthday is a special night indeed. Follow me to the back if you would,” the woman smiles reassuringly and stands to return to the back room. // The dialogue in this case should end with a period and 'The woman' should be capitalized because we're dealing with a separate sentence now, not just 'the woman says' or whatever appended to the dialogue part.

Mistakes involving dialogue punctuation are super super common and I see them all the time even with the better authors around here, so it's a good thing to straighten out early. I usually send people to the Grammarly Handbook, but there are a lot of sites out there that give examples and explain it all better than I could, such as this one. (Which contains a lot of good general writing advice as well.)

Writing my first story

6 years ago
Welcome to the site! Read some of the articles over at the "Help & Info" section as well, if you get a chance.

Writing my first story

6 years ago
Good luck