WatchNon-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Message

Don't know your Pages from your Links? Stuck in the editor? Find some expert help here.

I guess I was supposed to make one of these

11 days ago

Hi. I'm Fluxion. I'm pretty sure I'm mediocre at writing. I saw this site like 2 years ago and didn't actually know about these forums, but back then I saw a story about a kid in math class (can't remember the name, but it had a minty green background), tried to google it but found an actual math game (Algebra game ). That game wasn't up to the best of standards, so I decided to join and make one myself. Still working on that, but for now I've set that aside to work on the December contest.

Let's see... about me... I'm a big 49er fan (yeah laugh, go ahead, but Jimmy Garoppolo looks pretty solid...); I have a weird family (one brother is a pastor, one makes video games, and one is a soldier); and as far as stories go I suppose I prefer the usual pleb/unenlightened stuff like fantasy/sci-fi stories.

Anyway, that's the introduction. Any advise on how not to suck is welcomed.

11 days ago
Welcome (back) to the site. And minty green background? With Math? Yeah, that sounds like mine!

11 days ago
That's it! I actually only played through it once or so. I never got the girl, so I'm going to see if I can get her this time lol.

11 days ago
Good luck!

I never did write a follow-up story to this one, as there didn't seem to be a lot of interest. I've started on one, though, so maybe in the first part of next year...

11 days ago
Advise? Wow... nice spelling, right? Don't worry that won't happen in a story I post.

11 days ago
Usual recommendations for newbs...copied and pasted from another post I just made >.>;

Spend a little time reading and reviewing the Top Rated games to get an idea of what's possible and the quality levels readers are looking for.

Check out the Help section articles and in particular you'll want to get a handle on the basics of scripting. (Even if you don't plan for your story to rely on it, the Advanced Editor helps so much with organization etc you'll want to know how to use it at some point.)

Remember there's no rush to make your first game. People get excited when they join but a complete, proofread and polished game is what you want for making a good first impression.

It's usually a good idea to start with a small project until you get the hang of writing and structuring CYOAs. They can get away from you pretty quickly if you're not careful about outlining and plotting them out.

And finally, stop by the Writing Workshop with any questions, or if you need advice, feedback etc. (Advanced Editor board for scripting stuff.)

Anyway it looks like you already understand grammar and you've noticed the forums exist so that's great, you're guaranteed to effortlessly do better than 70% of our random noob population already.

11 days ago
Yellow

10 days ago

Hello and welcome! ^w^