Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello!

5 years ago

I just stumbled across this site and I've already fallen in love with it after looking around.

From what I've seen, the community has specific disdain for a variety of topics. If anyone doesn't mind, I'd appreciate being warned about what is generally acceptable and what isn't. Obviously, I'm sure most people like reading original work but is inspired ("fanfic"-ish, I guess?) content allowed here as well? After my browsing, it seems as though some stories are based on a series/game, but I've seen mixed reactions to them.

Thank you!

Hello!

5 years ago
There's an official fanfic category you might want to look through, first of all.

But to answer your question, other than Warrior Cats anything is acceptable as long as you have the skill to write a decent story. Knowing your audience is part of that, yes...this is not a fanfic site and even otherwise okay stories are obviously not going to do as well if the author just expects every reader to automatically be an expert on whatever series they're writing about.

But in fanfic in particular the issue is more along the lines of most of the stories tending to just be bad, even when they're not yet another incoherent Undertale thing or cringey shit like Youtuber shipping stories that never should have been released from the author's diseased mind.

Hello!

5 years ago

Thank you for the insight! Definitely going to keep that in mind.

Hello!

5 years ago
Yeah, mizzy mentioned the category that shall not be named. Other than that, there's really nothing prohibited. That said, yes, the community does have disdain for those who cannot write basic sentences or use capitalization or punctuation (mostly in stories, but still).

Good luck with your writing!

And you can always post ideas and samples in the forum for feedback if you like.

Hello!

5 years ago

Thank you! Once I build up the courage, I'll utilize the forums for future ideas. I'm looking forward to it!

Hello!

5 years ago

:) Hi! Welcome! If you have the time, you can also read/play some awesome stories/games for inspiration. If you would like, I will use copy and paste to recommend to you what I recommend to others:

I especially recommend the works by BerkaZerka, Ogre11, and EbonVasilis. So far I have only been able to read some of each of their impressive works in the limited time I am here. I suspect all their works are awesome!

BerkaZerka’s Dead Man Walking (Zombie Survival) is extremely well written [I managed to get the best possible ending!] and kept my eyes glued to the phone I use (though it does have violence/gore and some language), he has also got great puzzles and games (Some of which I have still not completed. They’re awesome!). Ogre11’s awesome works I have read/played so far include: Spy Mission (You gotta see the different endings), Cryogenic Failure (Again, you gotta see the different endings), UFO at School, Alien Abduction, Finding the Muse (this will definitely help aspiring writers). Of EbonVasilis’s works, so far I have read his epic A Chosen Hero (I’ve got to read more of his works!). I have also played DavidG’s The Tower of Rowena, played cMitchell3’s Get out Alive, read Will11’s true story Climbing Beyond The Clouds, read MinnieKing’s inspirational message Addition, and read the short mouse hero story by pinkalily21, Alone in the Forest. There are great writers and future great writers to be found on this site.

I hope you have an awesome time on the site!

Hello!

5 years ago

Thank you so much! I played through a few when I first stumbled on this site (Berka's Dead Man Walking was the very first one I tried out), but I'll definitely look into the other ones you mentioned.

Hello!

5 years ago
Rogues is the thing everyone should be playing right now.

Hello!

5 years ago
Endmaster is by far the greatest on site writer.

Hello!

5 years ago
Yeah it always kind of makes me lol how he goes out of his way not to mention End in any of these big blocks of recommendations he pastes.

Hello!

5 years ago
Yeah @HowdyHiHello is too christian for a lowly admin who writes millions of words for other people's enjoyment FOR FREE!

How satanic. You know the Church of Satan is so fond of charity.

The words are too transgressive---they hurt his feefees!

Hello!

5 years ago

:) You are most welcome, OpalWysty!

P.S. I like your profile picture, it looks very unique!

Hello!

5 years ago
Salute