Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

I am struggling...but not willing to give up

5 years ago

Hello Writers!

So I just found out about this website and this whole genre of reading which I never knew existed before.

I've read like one and a half stories and I would really like to write my own. However, I made it as far as wiping my shoes on the rug and stepping into the entryway. I am absolutely stuck (and possibly stupid). 

Obviously when you read these stories you make choices at the bottom that progress you through to the end. How do I insert choices at the bottom? I've been trying to work through everything myself and figure it out on my own but I can't even make one page. 

I'm in desperate need of help. If you can teach me how to do this or have any other suggestions or instructions on how to do things, don't be shy. 

Thanks in advance,

Desperate

5 years ago
First off, you're using the Advanced Editor (the default one), correct?

When you create a storygame you have the little blue icon to access the default First Page that comes with it, and you can directly create a new page connected to it from there with the Add Link to New Page button. (Note you may need to tell whatever browser you're using to allow pop ups for this site.)

You can also create pages directly from the Chapters and Pages page with Create New Page button, but those aren't connected to any other pages unless you add them manually later.

e: Help & Info has a lot of user written articles. Some of them are a bit outdated (or a product of the different quality standards of long ago...) but you might find them helpful to browse through just the same.

e2: Okay I see you're a little further along than the OP made it sound, looks like you did figure out making basic links. Just keep doing the Add Link to New Page thing whenever you want to set up a new one.

When you're more comfortable with the basic stuff there you might want to enable advanced settings in Storygame Properties so that you have options to use variables and scripting if that's something you want to include.

5 years ago

Thanks so much. I had been searching through the forums to find someone with the same question as me and finally found one. I'm going to try to write an entire story (and probably never publish it) just to get a feel for everything. 

If I need help with anything else I will be sure to turn to you!

5 years ago
Welcome to the site!

I do encourage you to read many of the articles in the Help & Info section, as there is some good info there about writing and working on stories with the site.

Good luck with the writing!

5 years ago
Welcome