Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

greetings to all storygamers!

5 years ago

hey there to yall! My name's Rory, and I am a blind person. I hope to write some very cool stories, I've always wanted to make this sort of thing, and by the looks of it so far it's all pretty accessible, which is awesome! I was thinking of making a story where you play as a mischievous household dog who just can't stop going over to the fridge and cupboards for a sniff. But you'll find about that when it get published. anyway, tried out a storygame this morning and immediately I am adicted these things. hope to make some cool stories soon, Rory.

5 years ago
Welcome to the site. Sounds like a cute game, good luck! Just remember there's no rush to publish anything and so you should make sure your first game is polished and complete. I'd recommend browsing the articles on scripting and reading and reviewing a few of the top rated games as well just to get an idea of some of the possibilities.

Let us know if you have any questions. The editor should be pretty accessible, I know @Mayana has used it to help people with their proofreading and the like.

5 years ago
Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy your time here!

5 years ago
Halo

5 years ago

Ok, hi all. I'm back again to ask a question. How do I make a random variable, for example between 1 and 5? This random variable will define if the dog in my game needs to do something, but that doesn't matter. Just if someone could tell me what buttons I'd need to click, that would be cool. Thanks in advance!

5 years ago

Hi! This article may be helpful http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=14. You should take a look at the 'Help & Info' section of the site if you haven't already, there are other articles that can help you as you go along.

5 years ago

Hey Rory, can't wait to read something of yours...

Although Fantasy is usually my choice, I would give your storygames a try!

5 years ago
Nice, another sightless one. I'm always glad to have more people on here that can join my blindy army. If you need help with anything, let me know. Don't be an idiot and have fun! :)
Good luck with your story. Remember to read some of the featured stories, to get a better idea of what people here enjoy. Your dog story sounds cute, but I'm not as sure about the zombie one. We've had plenty of zombie stories. Most of them are kind of shitty, but there are some good ones too, like Dead Man Walking. Your storygame seems like it'll be all game and no story, which'll probably make it boring for many people.

4 years ago

hi! just letting you all know I figured out within minutes of looking at the article after returning to the site; seems my past self was a little half-witted :)

but anyway, I'm not working on the dog game anymore but I am gonna do a scifi one. if anyone could help with proofreading that would be much appreciated! just let me know here. 

4 years ago

Welcome and good luck on your first story-game.

4 years ago

hi! 

I just found a small accessibility issue with the site: 

the buttons on the link for variable changes, restrictions and item drops aren't labeled. 

Is there a constistancy to which of the buttons they are? for example, is it the first button, the third to last, when that little menu starts? 

thanks! 

4 years ago
From left to right: Delete, Go to page, Link Restriction, Item Drops, Variable Changes, Add/Edit Script.

@bradindvorak Are there labeled on the extension?

Rory, you should make a thread about this on the feature request board. And include anything else you come across that isn't accessible. Things like button labels would take about five seconds to do the next time JJJ is putting an update in. I don't think Mayana ever fooled with the actual editor much.

Also, make sure you've got Scripting and Variables set to Advanced in Storygames settings > Editor features.

E: seems like the buttons are still there either way, you just lose the Script tab. Might be a bug after the editor changes? Does anyone remember what it was like before?

4 years ago

No, but adding title and alt text to those is planned for the next update.

4 years ago

You seem like a cute, spirited person. I want to see the cute, spirited story you have in the works as well! Welcome to this little cesspool! There's lots of things to do!

4 years ago

ok, I'll put this on the requests board. thanks for telling me! currently they're all called "submit" which is kind of funny :)