Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Introducing myself

5 years ago

Hello all,

Just thought I'd take up the suggestion of introducing myself on here as a new member. I'm Rich, I discovered this site very recently and have spent hours on it, on occasion running a game in the background at work.

Not quite sure where to start in terms of writing my own one or indeed, whereas I'm very unlikely to match up to the awesome content I've seen on here, I can't wait to try writing one of my own anyway!

Introducing myself

5 years ago

Welcome to the site! I'm glad you already started reading some of the stories, analyzing them is usually a good way to start to understand how storygames work. While you're at it you can also rate and review them, feedback is always appreciated.

As for your own writing, take a look at the articles in the Help & Info section and don't rush it. No one is timing you, you can take all the time you want to prepare and write your story. I'd suggest starting with something of small-medium size; storygames can become cumbersome branching things and it's better if you begin with something you'll actually finish. Make sure to proofread and polish your work before publishing, that is something that usually makes a good impression on the readers. If you have any writing doubts about your story, feel free to ask and share in the Writing Workshop.

Introducing myself

5 years ago
Welcome!

undr covered the bases, so I'll reiterate that there is no rush, and that feedback can be gained in the writing workshop. Oh, also, starting on the smaller side is generally encouraged, as was also mentioned, but I shouldn't be repeating all the points.

So, to say something else: it is good that you'll still give writing a shot, as I'd say that the accomplishments of others are better used as motivation to improve, as opposed to a deterrent to trying, especially in writing, where even if you are not on the same level as others, you can still bring your own take to whatever you write (be it ideas or style, writing is very open in the possibilities).

Anyhow, best of luck with your future endeavors.

Introducing myself

5 years ago
Hi Rich, welcome to the site. Have fun with it, whether you just read, or if you plan to write. A large number of site members just read and enjoy the stories, so don't feel pressured to write!

Introducing myself

5 years ago

Welcome, Rich. What do you do for work? 

Introducing myself

5 years ago

Welcome! When it come to writing something, take your time. Of course, I say this but I'm also a slow writer. 

Introducing myself

5 years ago
ello