Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago

I was looking up CYOA stories online, and luckily found just what I was looking for. I wanted to give my friends in Discord something to do besides just chat, so I was trying to write some CYOA stories of my own, but the stories weren't very good. :')

I decided that reading some good CYOA stories for inspiration would be a good idea, and this was one of the first sites that popped up! The adventure was supposed to go one message at a time describing the situation, then a list of options for them to choose (vote on). I'm not hoping to get big on here or anything, just get some cool memories w/the server. If anyone has some suggestions for server-wide interactive plot lines, let me know if you can!

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
Hey, welcome to the site :)

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
Welcome!

People have occasionally attempted threads here like what you describe, but I can think of only one that had both a coherent plot and a satisfying ending reached. It was set in an insane asylum with Lovecraftian influence.

Any particular genre you prefer?

And you could always turn anything you write for Discord into the main plotline for a storygame here if you felt like expanding it.

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago

The asylum sounds intriguing, and I don't have a genre preference as of now. I'm still pretty new to writing, yikes. I might have to start off with something with action/thriller elements just to keep people interested. If I think of any Decent, Readable Plots (TM) then I might throw them on here in storygame form, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. ;)

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
Welcome to the site. Indeed, there are quite a few stories here that lead in all kinds of different directions that might give you some inspiration. Have fun!

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
Here's Sanitarium, the one I was referring to:

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/23640

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
Hi there! Welcome to the site. Afraid we don't really have much in the way of server-wide games here... Still, I suppose the majority of games on the site could potentially be used on a voting basis. (In fact, there was this one asshole who did that with one of EndMaster's games, passing it off as his own and pretending that he was making it up on the spot... Until End popped in and pointed out that the guy's writing was vaguely familiar.) :p

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
I think they intend to write their own, looks like they were just looking for inspiration. I assume the actual kind and not the "inspiration" to highlight and right click. I'm not sure if many of the popular games here could be run in Discord anyhow even if there are probably authors that wouldn't mind if asked. That character limit can be a bitch.

Halloa! New here...

4 years ago
Lol, yeah, I figured that... Not sure why I brought up the EndMaster rip-off guy... Except that I remembered it and it was funny. ^_^