Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Introduction for a new writer on the forums.

4 years ago

Hello everyone. My name is Nocturnal_Stillness, my name is Matthew and I have come from the Choice of Games forums courtesy of the "Battle in the ruins of a dead civilization" contest by Gower.

As I was entering on the CoG side I thought it'd be the polite thing to come over and introduce myself to the writers of this website. For a bit of background information about my writing, I am the author of the Hosted Game "UnNatural: Season One" which I released under the pen-name of Sam Kabell.

I am working on my contest entry which is called "A Familiar Magic" alongside my sequel to UnNatural. I hope to be able to submit a game or two here as well.

Thank you for reading and good luck to those who're taking part in the competition.

Regards

Nocturnal_Stillness.

4 years ago
Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy your time here and I wish you great success with the writing contest!

4 years ago

Thank you, I intend to have a lot of fun. It is different to how I'm used to working but it's quite interesting too!

4 years ago
Talk about formal. Anyway, welcome to the site. We're not all bad. Mostly.

4 years ago

Thank you. It was formal wasn't it lol It was clear enough anyway I think?

4 years ago
Oh no, it was clear. We're just not used to such polite introductions from new folks, lol.

4 years ago

Welcome. It's been a long time since I played your game. We're not as bad as we seem... mostly. Just use common sense and you'll do fine. Don't take bullshit seriously.

4 years ago

Thank you. I won't.

4 years ago

Nocturnal I am really happy seeing you around and mingle. Your new entry idea sounds awesome, and you could always contact with me here

4 years ago

Hi Mara and thank you.

4 years ago
Welcome to the site. Glad you came and said hi.

4 years ago

Thank you.

4 years ago

Yep I’ve seen you post on the cog forums a lot and remember mentioning some of the stuff about the IS engine to you in the thread over there.

4 years ago

Yeah my limited experience of the CYS website was through your games. You were right about the IS engine. While I do like choicescript it's a bit freeing not having to rely on variables and stats when working on a story.

4 years ago

It is but it is also frustrating, at least for me. I find that I had to change what I was trying to make due can't track properly events. 

Then what in my opinion is the worst creation of hell the FORCED back button that i don't want be  near it and makes me feel like it doesn't matter what I write to the different scenes and track stuff when people will skip all that due That annoying button of hell.

4 years ago

What I am doing is following one choice through to a specific point then go back and do the next choice and then the next. this way I can link rooms that can be linked and helps me keep informed of what I've done so far.

4 years ago

Yeah, I doing same and also have branches completely separate one from the others to make the background differences.

4 years ago
I think Mara is referring to the fact that readers can hit 'go back' when they hit an ending , something she finds incredibly frustrating and lazy. There have been a couple arguments about this in the Discord the last couple days. When actually writing the story, the Loose Ends option in the dropdown is useful in keeping track of where you were, but it's maddening not being able to pull up a full list of pages. I've never used ChoiceScript before, but in our editor it looks like this: And without the comforts of civilization (as of like 20 years ago when the editor was created...) I'm having to use mind maps now and think of the story structure completely different. But of course a lot of people swear the Time Cave story structure is the best there is for actually reading, and it's worked out pretty well for Endmaster obviously. On Infinite Story it's acceptable to post unfinished games and I think private, completed games weren't the norm compared to starting a game off and letting any interested reader continue the story when they reached a dead end. That more haphazard style of community writing I'm guessing is the reason editing tools weren't a high priority, it's just a completely different way of approaching these stories than either of our sites are used to. Oh right...and welcome! I appreciate that you came over to post.

4 years ago

Thank you.

4 years ago

Hello, friendly CoGite! Good luck for the contest, and hope you'll stick around here, too.

4 years ago

Thank you and I will. Always nice to talk with fellow writers :-)