Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Im new

4 years ago

Hi im new, and I am trying to make a story but im stuck. Im trying to create a background story for one of the characters but I just cant put it together,I have bits and peaces of it, but I cant think of how to connect it together and make it good. Could someone please help?

Im new

4 years ago

That isn't a lot to go on...you may want to put a link to the story if it is started and preview mode is on. You can also describe the story more or put in some quotes. I can't give a suggestion on it otherwise. If you are looking for general writing advice you can check the help and info tab on the left. 

Im new

4 years ago

I mainly don't know how I should start the back story. Or how to Pease it together. What I have of it is written on paper now, but I am going to type it up when I get it right.

Im new

4 years ago

Then follow my man Gower's advice. You can read a few stories and find examples that work for you. Sometimes the best way to start is just to start putting ideas down and piecing them together later too. The issue is you are asking such a general question that it doesn't really have an answer. A lot of the stories in the Top 5 will have good back stories and character development you can draw from.

Im new

4 years ago

I recommend taking a few months and slowly reading and thinking about all of the best works on this site.  That will educate you in different structures of interactive literature and different writing styles.  

It may seem like a lot to take that time to steep yourself in other people's writing, but you will learn a tremendous amount, and your own writing will mature and develop as well.

Im new

4 years ago

Okay, thanks.

Im new

4 years ago

When I think I have a good story, I will post it on the forums.

Im new

4 years ago

Sounds great, I look forward to reading it! Enjoy your reading and welcome!

Im new

4 years ago
Oh, and welcome to the site!

Im new

4 years ago

thanks.

Im new

4 years ago

I have read a few backstories from other story games and this is what I have, but I still fill like im missing something, but I dont know what.

Red was born in Germany in 1928, but on the year that he was turning 11, his life went to hell, for he was a Jew. he was forced into a camp and tortured day after day.Until the incident. They thought it would kill him slowly and painfully, only it didn't at all. He became a monster. When he saw what they did to him, that he had became an 9 foot tall rock monster, he snapped.He killed every one in that building, as soon as he was out of that building he was pelted with hundreds of bullets, none causing any damage, It only made him madder. He killed every guard that he got his hands on. When their was only a few left, they surrendered, but he did not grant them mercy.The last one left used an explosive on him. Sending him flying in every direction. only to link back together leaving the man in fear for the next few seconds of his life. 

Im new

4 years ago
This starts out nice, but then quickly changes into a "tell" bit. In other words, you're just telling the reader what happened, instead of showing them. I think, for example, that the "He became a monster" line could actually be 1,000 words or so. The story could describe what was happening to him. It could describe how he was feeling. It could describe what the others in the room could see happening. There's just a lot more description that could be there that would SHOW that he became a monster without actually having to type those words. And this aspect could be applied to all the sentence beyond that one as well.

Im new

4 years ago

That is very helpful thanks.

Im new

4 years ago
Two articles that might help: a primer and interesting characters.

Im new

4 years ago

It is very interesting! It needs a bit of proofreading (for example "when their was only a few left" should be "when there was only a few left), but it is mostly good. I agree with Ogre that this is interesting enough that you can explode it out a bit. Let the reader experience it. What was the incident? How did it feel? What did they do? When he turned into a monster what did it feel like? What did the main character see? Hear? Etc....

Im new

4 years ago
Banned again.

Im new

4 years ago

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is another BigWolf alt, except with a little better grammar? 

Also, better name choice but the 123 keeps giving it away better luck next time

Im new

4 years ago
Yeah it was him, that's why I banned him. His gimmick is cute to liven things up once in awhile but it's been overdone.

Im new

4 years ago

Agreed.