Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Duplicating a story

4 years ago

I have one question since i started writing:

Is it possible to copy a story with all links and variables in tact?

The reason i ask this is because i set up a naming generator in one of my games. Since that takes one page for every letter and 24 links to be created on every page I wanted to ask if there is a way i could create a duplicate of that story, then delete everything that is not related to the naming generator and use that generator for another story. Or do i need to recreate that every time?

Duplicating a story

4 years ago
And this is why most people don't bother with full name generators. Although I do think it's possible to streamline it down a bit from that, it's still tedious and takes a lot of time that could be put towards the actual writing.

There's no way to copy over variables and such, although it would be a welcome feature. But if you have to let the player pick a name, a middle ground option would be to provide options for a few setting appropriate ones and just have them choose one of those.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I heard you had a really good attitude about being corrected on your faux pas, and from the glance I took at that game it looked like some effort had gone in. Your kind would not have need to be purged from our ranks if they were all like that.

Duplicating a story

4 years ago
Unfortunately, there is no current way, other than manually.