Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Editing go back button?

4 years ago

I have encountered a slight problem with my way of using variables.

The way I'm working with them a certain link will raise a variable by X amount of points. It works well with the normal flow of a game. But what if a choice increases a variable the reader reads the next page but wants to change it over? I assume people would use the go back button to redo the choice.

Can I modify the go back button so it can also change a variable so I could make that one change it back?

Editing go back button?

4 years ago
I'm not sure how much use the Go Back button gets, honestly. It has to be so little that I can't remember anyone even noticing this before.

Most people are just going to use the back button on their browser, which makes this not an issue. Or you could add a previous page link and make sure it manually subtracts the variable when they click it.

That button is so out of the way I anyone would use notice, but if you're really worried about it, a note in the game description just saying not to use that particular button is probably good enough.

Editing go back button?

4 years ago

Back button in  their browser?

I am either a worse computer user than I thought or I do not see that button in my browser.

Does not each story game open a seperate window? I can see no return button there.

(Never mind found it)

Editing go back button?

4 years ago
I noticed it a couple years ago. Haven’t played with scripts in a while, but I think only certain types cause this problem. The previous page link solution is the simple answer.

The issue isn’t so much that the reader gets a bonus to stats, but that it can cause the game to glitch later if it screws up the variable levels you need to progress.

Editing go back button?

4 years ago
Readers will do what they want. You can't stop them. Don't try, it will just annoy them. Don't worry about readers going back, they're going to, that's what CYOAs are all about.

Editing go back button?

4 years ago
He's not trying to block them from doing it, he was just referring to the wonkiness with variables the actual Go Back button can cause. If you came in on a link script that changed something, that button doesn't undo it like just using back on the browser does.

Editing go back button?

4 years ago
The problem is more "Go Back" simply means "Return to the last page you were at", normally for when you say, use an item to get to a page and don't want to bother using variables and stuff to figure out how to get back.

It's not meant to literally undo the last choice you made.

Editing go back button?

4 years ago

The main problem is that if a choice you make changes a variable it works fine if you go on. But if a reader decides "Hey I do not like that outcome" and uses the go back button the variable stays the same as if you made that choice. Or doesn't it?

Editing go back button?

4 years ago
If you mean the browser back button it changes back.

If you mean the go back link it does not.