Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

New Guy!

4 years ago

Just found this on google, mainly want to do this to work on my writing skills, plus I have a pretty decent story idea I am working on already! Anything I should know about this site before I get to invested, or just some helpful advise.

New Guy!

4 years ago

It is worth keeping in mind that branching narratives can get out of hand a lot more easily than linear stories, so being aware of the scope of what you're writing can be extra useful. Also, don't be afraid to cut down on things if the story starts becoming unwieldy. Planning things out might be helpful.

However, I don't really want to tell you how to write, because there are many ways that work, and you just want to find what's best for you. With that said, if you haven't written much before, don't be afraid to experiment and try different things.

How to Write

Other than that, dialogue punctuation is something many people get wrong, so brushing up on it is a good idea (even if you think you do it right, because the rules aren't the most obvious thing). Here is a site article on it: Dialogue Punctuation.

Actually, there are a few articles under the Help & Info section which deal with the actual writing, so looking through them might be beneficial.

Asking for feedback on writing in the Writing Workshop or Creative Corner is a good idea as well (they're for different things, depends on what you're posting).

Reading

Another piece of general advice is to read. Reading stories on the site is a good way to get a feel for the expected quality. Reading linear books by professionals is also good, and pay attention to the writing when you do, as most published books have editors (I assume) so they are punctuated and written correctly. Or don't pay attention, learning through osmosis should still work!

Site

Main things regarding the site are that:

• Stories split into parts are generally frowned upon, demos especially so, so know that publishing is for finished works! Sneak preview can let people see unfinished works. (Though do note multi-part stories can exist, however each part should be capable of standing on its own).
  • This ties in with the previous point, but some writing sites encourage users to publish piece by piece (i.e. chapter by chapter). That is not the case here.
  • This may be 'just a forum', but taking care to capitlise your i's and names is worth doing, because it is a writing forum (you're good on this front though).

Also, consider backing up your work, as it is good practice. (I think it might have gotten fixed, but the editor was capable of timing out, which means work could be lost. You could mostly avoid this by saving to clipboard [copying] whatever you had written before hitting save).

Conclusion

I'll stop there because I think I mentioned enough things. Other people can fill in any gaps for things I missed. If there is anything that isn't clear just ask and I should be able to explain it better.

Other than that, welcome!

New Guy!

4 years ago
Advice:

Disable the Rich Text Editor in your profile and get used to using simple HTML for images and italics and whatnot.

Get the Chrome or Firefox extension here for dark mode.

Take the time to completely finish your story and make sure it's proofread before you post it. Usually we also recommend starting out with a smaller scale story and not diving into some giant fantasy epic until you get a handle on these kinds of stories and how they can get away from you once they start to branch.

Read a few stories and write some comments. That's the quickest way to get an idea for what works and what doesn't, what quality level readers are looking for and also earn some points and commendations. Giving detailed feedback on newer stories also makes authors notice you and be more inclined to return the favor when you publish your own.

Don't be an idiot on the forum. When in doubt, lurk.

New Guy!

4 years ago
Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here.