Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Any stories that would work with students age 12?

4 years ago

I love the concept and am looking for ones with not so much reading and nothing unfit for children. They loved the ESL Billy' Adventure one. Thanks!

4 years ago
I'm not sure if this is going to be the best place to look for both 'nothing unfit for children' and 'not too much reading' to be honest. You might browse the Edutainment section, and if you get the site extension from BD's profile here, you can search by the Geared for Children tag.

But it's not a popular category, most of the users on this site are teenagers and more interested in edgy fantasy epics. I guess I would say that a kid that isn't comfortable reading stuff at a maturity level like the Hunger Games may not find a whole lot to choose from here, but maybe someone else can suggest a couple of specific stories. (It's really too bad the author of the Princess Pretty series took them all down...)

e: Maybe the Carmen Sandiego story?

Or Inepta Academy?
Hmm... One Tiny But Mighty Pilchangk Adventure?

I'm not really sure what constitutes 'too much reading'.

4 years ago
You know what, I just remembered something that should be appropriate for the age group, and pretty fun: The Legend of Green Lake. The devs were here showing it off awhile back and it's still free as far I can tell.

4 years ago
Oh, lol, I had thought the 'Billy' story referred to something else. I looked up the actual one you were talking about and ehhhh....well I just don't think you're going to find much else like that here. That story was written in 2006 so its got a bit of ratings inflation going on from back when site standards were different. I doubt a story with like three sentences per page would stay published if it was written today. There's not going to be much for anyone at that reading level here. You'd have trouble finding a regular book written for that age group that looks anything like that either, although since they're ESL students there's hopefully some more suggestions and resources out there somewhere specifically for that.

3 years ago
I don't know if @jb9656 is still around, but I came across a cute game about making decisions for a kingdom. It's got simple graphics, not a lot of reading at a time, and you play the entire thing just by choosing Yes or No when someone comes to you with a problem.

....I guess I should include the actual link somewhere in this post.

3 years ago
I hear this is a good one. Written by the person who had been posting here the whole time. Can't believe she missed it.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/facts-about-the-planet-and-the-solar-system

3 years ago
Too much text. He wanted stories like the example he gave.