Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello

3 years ago

Just wanted to drop a friendly line. Looking to get into this fun activity. Writing is actually a weakness of mine so excuse any improper English and run on sentences that you may encounter in my writing and in this message. Hope to read your stories and get inspiration for my own. 

Hello

3 years ago
Welcome! We always recommend newbies take some time to read a few stories before diving into their own projects, so sounds like you're on the right track. If you could also rate anything you read and leave at least a short comment, that would be wonderful. Lots of attention starved authors around here, and the more ratings the easier it is for the site to rank the stories...plus the more stories rated the more points you collect, meaning your ratings start being weighted more and having more of an effect. Have fun, and let us know if you have any questions.

Hello

3 years ago

Will definitely make sure to rate whatever I read. Any short stories I can be recommended would be appreciated. Just to get into the groove (Madonna) of things. 

Hello

3 years ago
Just off the top of my head I'd recommend anything by Gower. For a couple of well written short stories you might also like Vicious Moles of Nature and I Went to the Graveyard. (make sure to use the Go Back links provided in the latter and not the back button on your browser...) Edithe Zilonis is around 15k. I really tend to favor outstanding prose over even branching or anything like that, but others might be able to suggest based on some other criteria, especially if you tell us what genre you prefer. Gower's all do some interesting meta things with perspective (I suggest you start with the Kelly game, and don't read the reviews until afterward...) and the other three I suggested are all kind of spooky/ghosty, but not exactly horror.

Hello

3 years ago
Also, if you're browsing on PC you really ought to get the site extension. It gives the whole site a face lift, lets you search stories with more options, and most importantly lets you enable dark mode and has a few formatting changes for a comfier reading experience. (You can set all options in your profile.)

Hello

3 years ago
Hi there. Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here.

Hello

3 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, I do too. 

Hello

3 years ago
Hello

Hello

3 years ago

Hi :)