Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Camero Is In The House Now :D

3 years ago

Hello everybody, I'm Camero2K. I'm currently a second grade Computer Science student and also a hobbyist amateur game maker.

I've recently started having interest towards interactive fiction, but I've always idealized varying endings, open gameplay and much more possibilities than it seems (basically choose-your-own elements). I realized that interactive fiction is the best genre to emphasize it and I'm currently leaned towards it.

Back then I was also writing stories inspired from fairy tales I've read, so my story writing foundations are strong.

On a program called Quest 5, I currently develop a text-adventure game called "Ghetto Grind". It has a thread on intfiction.org and is currently published on itch.io in alpha 3 stage (if you want to check out, you can play it here.)

That's all for this entry, folks. Again, welcome. Have great choose-your-own games everybody.

3 years ago
Hi, welcome.

I've dabbled with Quest before, but wound up preferring Adrift as far as programs for non coders to write traditional IF and text RPGs went. I've played a few good Quest games so I'll try and check out yours....unfortunately the sheer amount of dreck they were always flooded with over there would always bury the decent games.

3 years ago

Ah, that good old "shovelware" thing... I guess Ghetto Grind will be no strange to its effects then. I've also played a Quest game called "Lemon Simulator", where you woke as a lemon and try to go back to your human form (admittedly the concept is actually fun, though).

And I've actually done some small (mostly abandoned) demos with Game Maker: Studio, that's actually where my game making experience comes from. I like coding, I've been coding since as early as age of 11/12, which was inconsistent at the time. But trying new things and tastes, like interactive fiction and storygames, where you can emphasize more of what I've talked about in the first entry, is actually one of my interests.

3 years ago

My favorite IF game is Sub Rosa

3 years ago
Anchorhead and Nightfall for me as far as the old school parser IF. But I don't exactly go into most of these games expecting them to be that smooth of an experience or with that level of writing.

Skybreak and Tingalan are my favorites as far as something different, they're both CYOA/RPG hybrids, technically set in the same universe but are wildly different as far as atmosphere. Being the big damn hero zipping around in your spaceship punching evil in the face, and dying horribly to horrible things again and again while helplessly lost in the woods, respectively. (The same author did Six Silver Bullets also, which is this very intricate thing about secret agents where the whole game and just figuring out what's going on and who you can trust is a puzzle. You will be killed many times and each playthrough you use what you learn to progress further.)

3 years ago
Playing Anchorhead -- love it.

3 years ago
@northwind

Just fyi there's a 20 year anniversary version available on Steam that smooths out some of the rougher puzzles, has improved writing and added scenes, plus some illustrations.

Also someone pointed out to me that the OP has linked his in progress CYS game on intfiction, what a hero.

3 years ago

Yes the illustrations look great, but playing the original so far. Almost done, actually, just need to figure out how to get out of a straight jacket :)

OP, who?

3 years ago

OP, me. "OP" is an abbrevation for "original poster".

And yes I'm active in both intfiction.org and here :D

I've just decided to do some "early early access" for it. Won't publish until truly completed, but I may take some proofreading feedbacks.

3 years ago
Haven't forgotten this, just haven't had a lot of time or mental energy to devote to a new game.

I did look at it briefly, and while the description is interesting I think the game itself would do a better job grabbing the attention if there was an intro that established some plot or something about the character, or if there were more to look at and explore in the house when you start out that sort of served the same role. Even being about to look at yourself (which is a standard command in most IF) would give you a chance to write a description of the character that could cover a little of the backstory or personality.

3 years ago

You're right about intro, it just doesn't exist at this time (alpha 0.3.12). You learn about backstory DURING the gameplay, but you start from absolute zero about what's going on around you. In the game, everybody knows what it is, but you aren't one of them. The only justification I can give is that the game relies on "mystery", but something is still off.

After I've advertised and gave link to the game in intfiction.org, somebody reported they can't see status tab on mobile, so I made "look at" command write player status (includes debug). I was already planning a revision to it on long term, but describing player (depending on his status) is a better idea I guess.

I'll take your feedbacks in account. Thanks.

3 years ago
Welcome to the site!

3 years ago

Welcome aboard. 

3 years ago

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it here.

3 years ago
@Camero2k So I saw that after all your fancy announcement threads you backed out of almost everything you're working on. Makes me think that a just for fun dark fantasy contest such as the one we've got going now would be just the thing to get you out of your slump by trying something different with no stakes attached.