Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

newbie =)

3 years ago
wassup, ya'll. I'm new and we should be friends!! lookout for my series ;)

newbie =)

3 years ago
Welcome to the site. What are you going to be writing about?

I'd recommend browsing some of the higher rated games before jumping into your own projects, it's a good way to get an idea of what readers are looking for as far as qualitt and what the editor is capable of.

And if you've never written a branching story before, it's good to start small, they can really get away from you if you're not used to planning stories in this format.

newbie =)

3 years ago

Thx for the advice! I plan to write some story about different anime crossovers and just have fun. Of course i didn't think this would be so scary seeing how many people told me not to do a series LOL. so now i don't know... but i do know i want to write about whoever plays it to be a traveler or something who goes around meeting people and making friends from different animes and stuff.. idk :/

newbie =)

3 years ago
Welcome, mate!

Wish you good luck with your series, if you ever encounter trouble or need advice and criticism, just post in the writing workshop/advanced editor forums.

On a side note, if you decide to put out a exerpt or portion of your story, expect honest, and sometimes brutal criticism. Just know that the way to learn is to absorb the opinions and view of others, then growing on it.

See you around :)

EDIT: About the series, it's perfectly fine to do a series of stories(see Homo Perfectus for example), but just make sure you're not posting demos and incomplete fragments, as those will get taken down quickly.

newbie =)

3 years ago

ah ty for the advice!! now however, i don't know if i want to upload...i can handle criticism but BRUTAL criticism isn't my thing lol. 

newbie =)

3 years ago
Commended by mizal on 2/19/2021 7:56:51 PM
I guess it might be easier said than done, but ignoring the brutal criticism is always an option.

However, you seem capable of stringing together sentences, so if you're worried, my advice would be to write your story (and likely learn a lot doing it), and then, instead of publishing, put it on sneak preview and ask for feedback in the Writing Workshop.

This way people can see that you do care for feedback and are seeking it out, so as long as what you're asking people to look at doesn't look like low effort dribble, you should be fine. Do proofread your own writing before putting the link up tho. This way you can avoid more of the brutal side of criticism.

Alternatively, depending on how long your story will be, you can just write a part of it (a decent part mind you), and ask for feedback on that. This makes it easier to implement fixes that would matter later, such as when you end up punctuating dialogue incorrectly (heh).

It is a common mistake (and I don't actually know if you'll make it), but I won't get into that now.

The Main issue with series is when they end up too linear, or feeling incomplete/like a demo. As long as each storygame can stand on its own merit you should be fine.

Being a type of fanfiction does make things a bit tricky, since writing good fanfiction has its own challenges as well.

The crossover style where the protagonist is the anchor point of the series could work, as the conflicts that arise would likely be tied to the specific series entry. Give it a shot and see how the first part turns out.

If it doesn't work well as the first entry in your series, you can expand it to just be a standalone story, for example.

Point is, being motivated and writing what you want is a big deal, so don't get discouraged. Just be aware that it might be more difficult than you are expecting, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

With that said, doing a smaller scale thing to get used to the editor (and perhaps branching narratives) isn't bad either, since the last thing you want is an ambitious story suffering from lack of experience. Mind you, you can always go back and edit stuff, so any lacklustre parts CAN be edited and fixed, and it isn't like there is ever a perfect time to write a story.

P.S. Only publish finished stuff! Some sites let writers publish chapter by chapter, but that is certainly not how things work around here. Anyway, have fun!

newbie =)

3 years ago

(sorry for the late reply) but ty for the detailed advice as well as the welcome!! I will definitely be asking for criticism often!!

Yet ANOTHER anime avatar annoying mizal

3 years ago

Welcome and have fun!

I'd advise against a series though, they usually don't go down well. One long story would be better.

With series, you usually get either a bunch of really short stories (which are inevitably going to recieve bad ratings because of the short play length.) Or you get one really awesome first part of a series which never, ever, ever gets completed. Hate people who do that. They suck. ^_^

3 years ago
That avatar is fine, it's not the typical eight year old girl with 80lb knockers.

3 years ago
A link to such an image is not embedded into this thread and nobody should look for it.

3 years ago

is there something really wrong with having an anime avatar? lol...anyway, ty for the welcome and the advice. I will definitely consider NOT doing a series and instead do one simple story. ugh....advice on how to shorten my pan would definitely help!! 

3 years ago

Lol, no, it's just a running joke.

As for shortening your pan, I guess you could saw off the handle. ^_^

3 years ago

i meant plan...nvm...that's embarrassing. 

newbie =)

3 years ago
Just fyi, you want to make sure your threads have some kind of actual topic. Low content no subject chat threads are removed pretty quickly and noob accounts themselves are considered pretty disposable until they've been used to do something of value.

Writing topics are pretty much always safe so stick with those if you're uncertain.

newbie =)

3 years ago

okay thank you!

newbie =)

3 years ago
Welcome to the site!