Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Story-game [POST IF YOU WANT AN EXTENSION]

9 years ago

Note to self, 14:11, 12/31/14. Subject said "Entires" instead of "Entries" for at least 10 minutes. Disconcerting. Would never have made such a glaring, albeit trivial, mistake before the brain damage.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Story-game MUST be received by JANUARY 3RD AT MIDNIGHT. This means that it is 11pm on January 2nd, and in an hour, the story must be published on the site. (Any story which is published for the purpose of entering the contest still requires the author to have previously PM'd the judges with a title and synopsis.)

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE SAID THEY HAVE STORIES IN THE WORKS, BUT 'WOOPSIE, I DIDN'T SUBMIT," HERE IS YOUR CHANCE. DO NOT FORGET TO SUBMIT AN INTENTION TO THE JUDGES OR YOUR ENTRY WILL BE INVALID.

HOW TO SUBMIT (Read these instructions carefully.): 

1) Publish your story. When you publish, there can be no co-authors or anyone else linked to the story.

ONLY ONE STORY PER PERSON. IF YOU HAVE TIME TO WRITE TWO STORIES TO SUBMIT, YOU SHOULD BE SPENDING MORE TIME ON YOUR CONTEST ENTRY.

2) Send a PM to madGlee, Sethaniel, and Fleshnblood_78 with the Subject: "STORY CONTEST - 'YOUR TITLE'." Obviously, replace 'YOUR TITLE' with the title of your story.

3) Both 1 and 2 must be completed by MIDNIGHT, the night of January 2nd right before it becomes January 3rd. This gives all of you a day to recover from New Year's (if you are old enough) and tweak anything you might want to.

What happens then?

We, the judges, will read through your work and pick our top 3. Then, we will discuss our choices and vote. Should ties arise, or we choose entirely different works, secret judging methods will be undertaken. It will all be very complicated, but work very well, trust me.

Judges: madGlee, Fleshnblood_78, Sethaniel

I put together this brief, and I hope helpful, FAQ.

Genre? Post-apocalyptic. Again, there is a certain amount of creative license when interpreting exactly what such a setting entails. (See other thread.)

Story or Game? STORY. Although Alex's editor allows us to make all sorts of puzzles, logic, and word games, this contest focuses on story. Including game-like elements or enhancing the story through clever scripting or item-use is a plus, but should not be the focus of the writer.

How long should it be? Variable, but make sure it is contest-worthy. There should be character development, plot, and story arcs, and the story should be meaty enough that we can't finish reading it in five minutes.

Basic or Advanced? Up to you. Personally, I think the advanced editor is easier to use, even if you don't make use of a lot of items or scripting.

Should I use items and complex scripting? It depends. I can not speak for what the other judges are looking for (see the other thread for feedback), but I will be looking at the whole package. If it is an excellent story and writing, the absences of scripts or items will not harm the story or my review, but should there be a frail, vaguely lazy story, no amount of beautiful imagery, scripting, or item manipulation will save it.

Tips? Ask a friend in real life or on the site (someone you trust) to proofread your story. Having another set of eyes look at your work is invaluable to any writer, and is a big part of the process before a story ever makes it to print. A poorly proofread story replete with grammatical and spelling errors casts a horrid pall over whatever story might be lurking within.

Proofread!

Intentions to Enter: 30!

Entries by: Romulus, Tanstaafl, AppDude27, Dantene, 31TeV, TaraGil, insanebutvain, the_quiller, Nightbirdblue, Kiel_Farren, Steve_Greg, cMitchell3, DragonAnth, Ford, Lazarus, Aman, playa988, Tangecide, Boringfirelion, Mtactical, FeanoronForge, GraveRobber, bjhovey, betaband, jamescoker1226, IronPanther, TheNewIAP, TacocaT, Toussaint, frank2.

Prizes: 

#1: Featured StoryGame, + 100 Points, + Choice of Judge Trophy

#2: 50 Points + Choice of Judge Trophy

#3: 25 points

#4: Honorable mention(s)?

30 entries is a lot! I will be very impressed if all 30 of you complete stories and submit them. 

Good luck! We're all looking forward to reading some great stuff.

Story-game Contest Stats and Info [01/03/15 00:00]

9 years ago

30 entries? Might as well call this Story Contest 2016! lol Itll take forever to read that many. BUT I look forward to reading them ALL! Good luck to everyone! 

nate

9 years ago

... 30? Good God ... that's a lot to compete with. Now I'm actually nervous. xD

9 years ago
If you're nervous now then you should have been nervous before. Were you even paying attention to the names? :P

9 years ago

:P I have selective nervousness, I guess? I was paying attention--sort of, it's just that it hadn't occurred to me just how many people are in this thing until today, haha. (My job is trying to kill me, though, so I may not be totally with it.)

9 years ago

Hope you're ok. Wouldn't want to be competing against a half-dead Kiel now, would I? :P

Personally, it's not so much the number that worries me but more the individuals. I do think that this contest could surprise us and a lurker/someone completely unexpected could win, but it's the people that I know are good writers that I am contemplating bumping off most wary of.

9 years ago

It varies from day to day. Lots of IRL crap going on. xD I dunno, would you? Haha. You know I'll finish the game regardless.

You're right, granted, so I'm not sure why I find the number more intimidating. I guess I'm just considering the odds.

9 years ago

It seems as though you're judging your chance of winning as though everyone has the same amount of skill in writing.

Based on what I know of peoples writing skill and level of perfectionist, I'd guess that you and Qiller - and possibly me if my experiment works out the way it's supposed to - are going to be close for first place - if my experiment doesn't work, then I'm probably going to be bumped down to around 8th place or something. James, Tev, and quite a few others will probably be close for 3/4th place after you and Quiller. That is, if you two get your story done on time.

And I'm just going to repeated that this is just my guess based on the writing styles/levels of perfectionist. 

9 years ago

xD Anxiety isn't a logical emotion, you know.

I'm not sure you should count on that. I do expect Quiller to place well and I suspect I'll do okay, but there are a few people in that list whose work we've actually never seen before. At least, I haven't.

9 years ago

XD

Based on what I know of people's writing skill and levels of perfectionist.....I'm pretty sure you will be in the top two or possible three in the contest. Unless you don't finish your story. 

9 years ago

Your vote of confidence is appreciated. And yeah ... finishing is the main concern right now.

9 years ago

True.  I really want to finish, but then I have the concern, that if I rush this, my game will be "bad."

So whenever the deadline comes around, and I'm not close to finished, I'm definitely not going to finish my storygame.  Not because I don't want to, but it would really hurt my game overall, and might as well finish it, before publishing... if that made any sense.

9 years ago

Don't be. I remember the first time I ever stepped on stage for comedy there were actually 30 other comedians that night. I felt out of my league, forgettable etc. Half those people have quit comedy now. I went on to win the club's biggest contest because I didn't quit. Keep your head up and just keep writing. Many won't finish this challenge. I hope they all do, but statistically it's just unlikely. 

nate

9 years ago

You're a comedian? How did I miss that bit of information 'til now...? Hmm. Do you have any online videos by any chance? xD If so, I'd like to see them. I agree that it's unlikely, but I hope everyone finishes in time, too. >///> Including myself.

9 years ago
Hence the comedian story? I really like the unique idea for the post-apocalyptic genre. They say it's best to write about what you know.

9 years ago

Kiel, I do have some EARLY stuff. But I am not proud of it. lol but damn internet has captured it forever. But yeah, been doing comedy about 4 years. Love it. Tev, I definitely incorporated a comedian hero/antihero into my story since it is a new venture. I hope to finish it, as I don't even know where it's gonna go at this point hahaha.

nate

9 years ago

Tomorrow I have the biggest show of my short career. After it is over I can start back on my story. Again, its not an official entry, but if everyone else can put the effort in, I feel it's good if I show the mods can too. Really looking forward to everyone's story. 

nate

9 years ago

Looking forward to seeing yours, too. I wish you luck on your performance. :) Hope you have fun.

9 years ago
# @coins @Seth @Romulus @Tan @AppDude @Dantene @TaraGil @IBV @Quiller @NightBird @Kiel @Steve_Greg @Mitchell @DragonAnth @Ford @Lazarus @Aman @Playa @Tangecide @Firelion @Mtact @Feanor @GraveRobber @Bjhovey @Beta @JamesCoker @IronPanther @IAP @Taco @Toussaint @Frank

New thread, people. Good luck with your stories, everyone!

9 years ago

Nice tagging. ;P

9 years ago
Thanks. I call it ninja tagging.

9 years ago

Appreciated, TeV.

9 years ago

Thanks Tev! 

9 years ago

Hehe, # @coins

And by the way # @coins

9 years ago

Good luck guys!  I look forward to competing with you all!  But remember, this isn't about winning.  It's about having fun, and telling awesome stories.  But mostly... it's about winning!  (JK... or not)

9 years ago

Oh wow.  It's already November!

9 years ago
As long as I don't get second place I'll be happy - second place is like "Congratulations you lost! You didn't win - but out of all the people who lost, you were the best loser of them all."

9 years ago

Now that I think of it... it's going to be so AWESOME to sit back by my fireplace as it snows outside, and have some hot chocolate.  To be curled up in a blanket, and be reading these story games...

9 years ago
Just curious, but what kind of voting system will the judges be using and how many stories will they be able to vote on?

9 years ago

It's a very complicated system, it works very well, trust me. - Tom Brokaw, in explaining US politics and law. 

Possibly Borda.

9 years ago

I thought all the judges were going to rate it 1-8, and then add the player rating to it.

So the results would be J1+J2+J3+PR

9 years ago

I thought the player rating doesn't matter. 

9 years ago

It doesnt, but it'd be cool if they let some non-admins in on the judging panel. 

9 years ago

Well, Seth's just a mod. But I see what you mean. 

9 years ago

So, we have a 30 contestants, possibly four ways to place, clear criteria, 3 judges, a deadline that goes past the end of the year, and a post-apocalyptic theme with an emphasis on writing? Sounds like it's going to be a good contest. Good luck to everyone! Looks like I better start writing often enough to justify a progress thread.

Btw, thanks for the tag, 31TeV

9 years ago
I'm hyped for this contest too. Even if only half of the people manage to complete this, there are going to be so many good storygames out.

9 years ago

Yup, no matter who ends up winning the contest, I'm sure the biggest winners will be the readers who get to enjoy them all. 2015 is going to be a year that starts with many great, new games.

9 years ago

I'm betting on Kiel. I'll bet 10 points on him. 

Who's in?

9 years ago
Lol, how do you bet points? Pretty sure that's either against the rules or impossible. But maybe this is just another nme joke.

9 years ago

Not to mention it's usually bad to place bets on something you're competing in. Clearly, it is a trick to attempt early disqualification.

9 years ago
I bet 700 points endmaster will win.

9 years ago

Wait, he's in?

9 years ago

If we ever take bets on something other than this, I'd want to be up against Ford.

And no, he's not in the list of the 30 competitors.

9 years ago

You don't have 700 points to bet with, lol. 

9 years ago
Can you reword that in an easier way so that 50% English knowers can follow it?

9 years ago

My bad.

1) In any other context, I would enjoy making crazy high bets against you. (I can't anyway. nmelssx has a point.)

2) Endmaster isn't competing

As you can tell from that last post, I'm not exactly competition as far as having good command of the language goes.

9 years ago

What's your first language? lol 

9 years ago

English. (Technically) It's not uncommon for people with English as their native language to be horrible at it.

9 years ago

What's the technically there for? o.O

9 years ago

I grew up in a household where no one was born in the US. I might have been speaking my family's native dialects before English and eventually losing it as I got older. That happened when I was very young, so English is still considered my first language.

9 years ago

Same here.  It's a shame that I forgot my parents/ancestors native language.

9 years ago

Totally feel the same. It sucks, but it's one of the prices of assimilation.

9 years ago

I'm actually really excited to see your story. I haven't seen anything of yours yet, but you've always struck as a very punctual person.

9 years ago
You could go dig up the writing exercises to find her writing. You could see examples of what some of the others write like too.

9 years ago

Thanks! As 31TeV said, I participated in the Writing Exercises for a time, so you could check out some of the competitors works there.

And since the intent to enter deadline passed, might as well share the story idea. It's about machines inheriting the world.

9 years ago

You already told us that XD

9 years ago
I don't think she did. I think someone's been hacking.

9 years ago

You what they say about assuming, right? Haha.

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/writing-workshop/message/14045

And, once again, the only 'hacking' that I do is just futzing with the URL :P

9 years ago
For a second I thought you were giving us the secret URL, haha.

OK, sorry about that particular accusation. But you do 'hack' anyway. XD

9 years ago

Oh my gosh, I did, didn't I? Maybe I'm just having an off day.

9 years ago

I'm doing something silly.
I'm overloading myself with projects.

I have this get done.

I have my NaNoWriMo novel to get done.

I have my card forum game to work on.

I have to help my friend by co-dming a d&d campaign, which means helping him write everything.

Along with this, I have to write a poem per week for a creative poetry class.

So we'll see how this will turn out.

9 years ago
:O

Good luck.

9 years ago

Thanks

I plan on writing in random spurts, so hopefully I'll manage to get it all done.

The card forum game will probably suffer the most unfortunately. 

9 years ago

I can help you out with the poetry if you want. I already made a few short ones.

I'm most proud of an ode to Lord Sauron thati've done while drunk.

9 years ago

The poems won't be that bad.

I just wish we didn't have to write based on prompts given Tuesday and then have to have something submit on Thursday.

9 years ago

JUST FOCUS ON THIS!!!!

Just kidding.  I can't help you here, although I do wish you luck!

9 years ago

I would if I could.

Then again I work best under pressure for some reason.

I'm more creativity with my nose to the grindstone for some reason, rather than just doing work freely.

9 years ago

i can write poems about anything

and with rhyme too

But i dont do haikus

9 years ago

That was... beautiful...

9 years ago

Poetry and lyrics are so easy. I have no respect for poets who can't write real stories. That was a very unpopular opinion in the 90's. I wonder if the sentiment is still hated.

9 years ago

dunno for others, but I myself cannot conceive making rhymes that do not bind well. It has to have a message... otherwise it's just  pop industry bullshit. You know, these days, many of the pop songs with less than 10 total lyrics are actually composed by a dozen  people, when before i was born, one man wrote the lyrics and no two were the same. Rock and rap genres still have , from time to time, songs with more lyrics, but they don't bind into a story anymore because it's no longer "mainstream"

9 years ago

I write all three. (I've written more than one "poem story" actually.) :P I have a lot of respect for good poets. I'd also say all of them are challenging to write well, but a good story is a helluva lot harder to write. Quantity, after all, and you have to keep the audience's attention for a much longer period of time. Say, a couple hour, as opposed to three minutes.

Still ... to make something that lasts only three minutes and is -powerful- or truly great is impressive. You have to choose your words very carefully. We may be more forgiving of a less exciting chapter in a good, long book than a single lousy line in a song.

(Then again, what am I saying? "Call me maybe" was a hit. Justin Beiber was a thing. >_> Maybe we're already too forgiving of music.) 

9 years ago
Actually, the lyrics in Call Me Maybe, whilst trivial and shallow at first glance, could potentially have a disturbing hidden message.

One interpretation of the lyrics is that the character in the song is stuck in an abusive relationship and is trying to get help. She's giving her number to someone she doesn't know because she's desperate and all her friends have been pushed away due to the relationship. I don't know if I want to go into detail on the CYS forums but there are several parts to the lyrics that, depending on how you look at them, could be portraying a very dark story.

9 years ago

I think you're reading too much into it...

"Call Me Maybe"

I threw a wish in the well,
Don't ask me, I'll never tell
I looked to you as it fell,
And now you're in my way

I'd trade my soul for a wish,
Pennies and dimes for a kiss
I wasn't looking for this,
But now you're in my way

Your stare was holdin',
Ripped jeans, skin was showin'
Hot night, wind was blowin'
Where do you think you're going, baby?

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

It's hard to look right
At you baby,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

And all the other boys,
Try to chase me,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

You took your time with the call,
I took no time with the fall
You gave me nothing at all,
But still, you're in my way

I beg, and borrow and steal
Have foresight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it,
But it's in my way

Your stare was holdin',
Where you think you're going, baby?

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

It's hard to look right
At you baby,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

And all the other boys,
Try to chase me,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad
I missed you so, so bad

I missed you so bad
And you should know that
I missed you so, so bad (bad, bad)

It's hard to look right
At you baby,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

And all the other boys,
Try to chase me,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!

I missed you so bad
I missed you so bad
I missed you so, so bad

I missed you so bad
And you should know that

So call me, maybe!

9 years ago
First, I'd like to clarify that I don't think Call Me Maybe is supposed to be deep or have hidden messages. My point is that its lyrics could easily have multiple interpretations, just like with anything.

"I threw a wish in the well,
Don't ask me, I'll never tell"
Could be hiding the wish because it's to do with her abusive relationship, something which she doesn't walk to talk about.

"I'd trade my soul for a wish,"
Pennies and dimes for a kiss
I wasn't looking for this,"
If you want to trade your soul for a wish, it must be a really important wish. Perhaps escaping the suffering she goes through because of her abusive relationship. The second and third lines could be a reference to being forced into prostitution.

"Your stare was holdin',
Where do you think you're going, baby?"
This could possibly be interpreted as rape.

"Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my number,
So call me, maybe!"
As I said, this could be a desparate move to try to get out of the abusive relationship.

"It's hard to look right
At you baby,"
Hard to look at another man because the abusive boyfriend/whatever could get angry? Who knows.

"And all the other boys,
Try to chase me,"
The plural for 'boys' doesn't really help my case here but the chasing could refer to getting into trouble with the abuser.

"You took your time with the call,
I took no time with the fall
You gave me nothing at all,"
The stranger called her in the end but was too slow, leading the abuser to catch her on the phone. The 'fall' could be when she was hit. This experience didn't get her any closer to getting out of the relationship, hence she felt that the stranger gave her nothing at all.

"I beg, and borrow and steal
Have foresight and it's real
I didn't know I would feel it,"
This could be when she was either kicked out of her home or escaped the abuser and resorted to stealing to survive. Perhaps the second part could be her saying that she thought she'd be happier getting out of the relationship but she's just as miserable because of her predicament.

"Before you came into my life
I missed you so bad
And you should know that"
Maybe this is a weird way of talking about how abuse victims will often still love their abuser in an abusive relationship. She could be saying that she misses the abuser after having left the realtionship. Or, she's returned and saying that she missed him.

Again, I don't believe what I said here is necessarily the true meaning behind the lyrics, and I don't even think it's likely that it is. Some of these meanings are forced, but I'm just trying to make a point depending on your viewpoint, the same words can have very different meanings.

9 years ago

>_>' But ... why are you supporting a hidden meaning for something that doesn't have one? *facepalm* I was making fun of "Call Me Maybe" for what it actually is, not "what it could've been" or "what you can pretend it is."

I realize that some crazy theories are fun and that's great. Hell, dark and utterly incorrect as it is, "Squall is dead" is a great theory about a game I loved. If fans of Carley Rae enjoy the song more because of how they interpret it, fantastic. 

That said, a "deep" made-up meaning for a song is not a good defense for it because it just isn't deep. This is a direct quote from Carly Rae Jepsen: "The main inspiration for the song is the idea that there's a kind of chemistry when you meet the right person. There's a spark that needs to be investigated, but it can be left unsaid because sometimes people are too shy to take that step, including myself. I've never actually asked a guy for his number."

It's ... even weirder to see you make this argument when you don't really seem to believe it.

9 years ago
I was mainly just having fun looking for hidden meanings within the lyrics where there were none. There were no deep or hidden motivations behind my actions. :P

9 years ago

... You were having fun looking to see if a song about the (albeit obnoxiously) cutesy first pangs of a crush was secretly about rape, prostitution, and abusive relationships. xD You're one sick puppy, you know that? Still, I'd be lying if I said I've never done anything similar, and yes, it can be fun.

9 years ago
If you put it that way, it does make me sound like a weirdo. XD I read the lyrics looking for different interpretations but not specifically things like rape and prostitution.

9 years ago

Lol, well ... people interpret lots of things, (including other people,) lots of different ways. I'm teasing, though.

9 years ago

TeV, sorry, man... but... are you insane? xD Have you seen the music video? Or read any of the interviews? It's got nothing to do with anything dark. Don't get me wrong, I've seen more than a few good songs about some very dark stuff, hidden underneath some seemingly benign words... but this really isn't one of them. xD

9 years ago

(Excessively random, but this reminds me of how bakers and cooks take issue with each other. Baking is seen as much more of a precise science that you can't screw up without disastrous results, so bakers look down on cooks for just 'throwing stuff together,' but cooks feel bakers are limited, uncreative, and can't think on their feet or handle the pressures of being a "chef." ... I watch Food Network too often, don't I?)

9 years ago

Speaking of poems, do you ever include them in stories? Like, on here? 

9 years ago

I'd like to. Most of the stuff I've written is rather dark and I'm not sure where I'd put it.

I thought about posting some of it on the forums just to see what kind of a reaction it would get, but... ^^; ... >.>; sounds awkward.

9 years ago

Well, if you ever decide to post some poems, I think your motivational thread would be a good place to post them. ;P

9 years ago

Maybe. Thanks for the idea. Once the contest is over, I have a pet project in the wings that I could use as a break from D.C. and M.A. down the line ... given the nature of the game, throwing in a few poems might be a good idea.

9 years ago

I say I learned under Allen Ginsberg at Poor Man's Harvard, and came to my conclusions. Unless you are Dylan Thomas, I have no use for poetry.

9 years ago

Odd way to phrase it, "I have no use for poetry."

xD I'm ... also not totally sure what relevancy that first part has, but good for you! :) 

9 years ago

I dunno why, but I read Madglee's post as "I have no use for the white man's religion."

Anyway, I thought Shel Silverstein was cool.

9 years ago

Haha ... are you sleep deprived? :P That's usually why I end up seeing random stuff like that.

I'd agree. There are a few poets out there I like, but I tend to care more about individual pieces more than individual artists.

9 years ago

You got me there, I do have two of his books, too.

9 years ago
They actually made reference to that in the 2003 version of FMA with Winry and Sheska making a pie. Of course, that was more "science vs. art" than "baking vs. cooking".

9 years ago

So I guess I can't join the contest anymore ?

9 years ago

No, but if you had been 10 days earlier, you could have entered. 

9 years ago
The deadline's passed, so probably not. You could write and publish your story alongside us without officially entering the contest.

9 years ago

I guess I will do that .

9 years ago

Honestly, if you submit it by the due date I rather doubt they will reject it because it wasn't entered on time, assuming it's actually decent.

9 years ago
If it comes down to a tie for first place between that game and a game that was entered properly, I'm sure that will be a deciding factor, though.

9 years ago

Secret judging methods?

You mean Rock Paper Scissors?

9 years ago

Is it still joinable? I'm working on a story I was wondering if I could have enter the contest. If not, that's fine by me.. :L

9 years ago
See above.

9 years ago

Sorry, but you're a few days late!

9 years ago

DAmn, I'm just working on my game right now, it's post-apocalyptic but it looks like I'm late to the party. I guess I'll have to see how you do. :)

I'll just publish before the 1st January I guess....

EDIT: If someone drops out before then, dibs on their slot. ;)

9 years ago

You could try for the non-contest favorite trophy. ^.^ *cough*

9 years ago

I'll have to see what they throw at me I guess...

Maybe I'll end up with an honorary mention??!!

9 years ago

Can I still submit a story even if I didn't do the intention to submit?

9 years ago
Officially, no. The deadline was a week or two ago. You can still write a story alongside everyone else, but you won't be eligible for the prize, unless I'm mistaken.

9 years ago

Well that's unfortunate. I've been so busy with school that I forgot to check onto this site. And when I did, I've missed out on entering this contest to test out my writing skills.

9 years ago
Can you people not see the posts above you? Just a few posts up there's loads of people asking the same question, and it's been answered multiple times.

9 years ago

Didn't see any of the questions because when I scrolled and skimmed down, alot of it was just small talk users were commenting about.

9 years ago
That's true. This thread was cluttered up a lot by me reading too deeply into the lyrics for 'Call Me maybe'.

9 years ago

It's a shame only two days of the contest call before closure, that's why I think so many are only just finding out now...

9 years ago
No, there was another post about it much longer ago, although I can't remember exactly when.

9 years ago
1+ month

9 years ago

I only joined recently, been learning the ropes, taking up my time etc. Still it'll be a good scene.

9 years ago

Guys, it wasn't two days. I told everyone and they had 3+ weeks to submit a title and brief synopsis. That is a tiny barrier which requires very little effort to overcome. Those who failed to do so, simply failed to do so. There is no loss or shame, here. You may still submit stories if you failed to meet the deadline. They will not be considered for the contest, but they will still be a worthy undertaking.

Remember, write for yourself. If contests motivate you, like they motivate me, then all the better! But do not hesitate to create something just because you missed the deadline.

9 years ago

Agreed. I'm glad this contest inspired me to write "The Other World," and I'd love to win with it, but I am writing it first and foremost as an addition to the series I already have established. It's just another adventure for people who wanted to explore one of the "what ifs" that my first game ended on.

Story-game Contest Stats and Info [Updated 11/13]

9 years ago

If we don't finish our story before the deadline, but it still has a sizable amount of content, 120+ pages, and has rather rough temporary endings, then will it affect the rank it gets?

I think I already know the answer, I'm just making sure my guess is right. 

9 years ago

If you don't finish your story by the deadline, most of the universe will certainly implode. And your entry will not be valid.

9 years ago

I would assume that it definitely would. People want to read completed projects.

Don't be responsible for the implosion of the universe, Taco.

9 years ago

XD That would be bad. Then there'd be no contest or shiny trophy for the winner.

9 years ago
I disagree.

9 years ago

If you implode the universe and kill us all, I'm going to sue the crap out of you.

9 years ago

Pffft. The Universe has survived enough paradoxical Doctor Who episodes that it surely should have exploded by now...

Yeah! You tell 'em!

Story-game Contest Stats and Info [ALL MAY ENTER]

9 years ago

Unfortunately, I will no longer be able to participate in this contest. I am becoming more and more busy with school, and other life events and I will not be able to put together a game on time. I will continue working on some of my storygames, but I don't really like the genre of the contest, nor do I like the direction in which my game is going. With regret, I am resigning. 

-beta

9 years ago
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your other storygames in the future.

9 years ago

Sorry to hear it, Beta, but hey... maybe we can make regular contests a thing and you can catch the next one?

9 years ago

Yeah, I hope so.

9 years ago

That's a bummer, man.

9 years ago

Sorry to hear. Hopefully there'll be a next time.

9 years ago

What a shame.  Good luck in the rest of your endeavors.  And until next time...

9 years ago

I'm stuck without  a computer for the next few days, so I'll have less time to work on my entry.

My work for final stuff will have to be during finals week, instead of during my current break. 

My $90 laptop charger won't be in till my break is over, so I'm kinda screwed.

I might end up backing out of the contest. :(

9 years ago
I thought I would be backing out too, but I'm still going to make an honest to [insert deity of choice here] effort to finish my game. I hope you will still be able to find the time to finish too.

9 years ago

Same here.

Edit: (sorry james) Though with only 35 days and 6 hours, I don't think I could finish my story at the rate it's going.

9 years ago
Yay, someone's actually using my timer.

9 years ago

XD I've been using it since it said '45 days; 11 hours; someodd minutes; something here for seconds'  Well, not that exactly, but around that time.

9 years ago
Nice, I'm not sure I have it set to the right timezone, but I did my best to set it to "CYS time", because I assumed that is what madglee meant.

9 years ago

Is it too late to submit an intention? If not, then do I just state it here, or do I have to PM the judges?

Edit: Ignore. Oh wells, looking forward to reading the winners' works.

9 years ago

FOOL! Read the post.

9 years ago

Slightly confused. Does that mean I can still enter the contest?

9 years ago

@Izeraxer The name of this thread is "Story-game Contest Stats and Info [ALL MAY ENTER]" 

Quoting the second paragraph of the OP:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE SAID THEY HAVE STORIES IN THE WORKS, BUT 'WOOPSIE, I DIDN'T SUBMIT," HERE IS YOUR CHANCE. DO NOT FORGET TO SUBMIT AN INTENTION TO THE JUDGES OR YOUR ENTRY WILL BE INVALID.

And, just to be perfectly clear:

Yes, you may still enter the contest.  Anyone who has a story which fits the criteria (Post-Apocalyptic) may enter.  You still need to submit an intention to the judges, so we know you intend this story as a contest entry.

9 years ago

Sweet, thanks. I was confused because there were numerous posts above that talked about how the 'deadline' had passed.

9 years ago

There's no way this thing is getting done, so I guess I'm dropping out.

I literally have one page.

And it's not done.

9 years ago

xD ... Ouch. Maybe next time?

9 years ago

I assumed out of the 30 entries, we would only have, maybe, ten to read, so that scans.

9 years ago

lol glad you said it first madglee. I was thinking the same thing though. 

nate

9 years ago

I have not been able to touch my stories much either to be honest. Had funerals and other unexpected things around the holidays that have complicated things. HOWEVER, I will still put forth the effort to deliver a story by year end. I did finish my orientation quiz for Schooled For Life 2 a few days back though!

nate

9 years ago

Probably. 

9 years ago

What are the chances of another extension? Fairly certain I can make it as is, but more worried on proof-reading and other edits.

9 years ago

No extensions have ever existed. We have always been at war with Eurasia. 

9 years ago
Them damn Eurasians. Edit: Wait, was that a 1984 reference I heard saw?

9 years ago

I wish I was clever enough to have written those words.

Story-game Contest Stats/Info [1 WEEK UNTIL DUE!]

9 years ago
Unfortunately I won't be able to finish my storygame in time. Probably no surprise, but it's shaping up to be a bigger story than expected. I don't really want to publish something that I feel is incomplete, even if it is for the competition. On the off chance that less than five entries are made and the contest doesn't go ahead, I apologise in advance.

9 years ago

I won't be able to finish either.crying Not even a fifth of my game could be finished if I continued working on it and make as much progress as I did today, which was, surprisingly, five pages plus some variable stuffs.

9 years ago

So I believe by the due date, we will have 3 stories submitted. makes for an easy contest on our part lol

nate

9 years ago

Hokay,

I have been silent on here despite entering but thought I should update lol. My story will not be finished, or even close. Life has been stupidly busy of late and I've only managed around 50,000 words so the best I can do is enter a preview version. If I manage  to close off all loops and make the preview a playable game then I will enter it and I'll republish the full game next year some time once I get to finish it.

The preview will be a self contained game though as I wouldn't enter it otherwise.

9 years ago

I have plenty of notes, but I've barely reached the writing stage.  I won't be able to finish in time.  Sorry.

Good luck to whomever is still working on theirs.

9 years ago

Are you sure you can't extend the due date until, say, the end of January?

9 years ago

To be fair, Taco, if there are enough people to participate that have finished stories, the answer really should be no.

However, if there aren't, maybe...? Hopefully? Pretty please?

It's unlikely, though, I think Madglee said he'd just call off the contest if there weren't enough participants. ='(

9 years ago
Mine is almost done. It's short but finished. Will publish it in a few days.

Who all will be finished on time?

9 years ago

I'd like to know, partly out of curiosity and partly to give the judges some idea, too.

9 years ago

Mine is publishable as is. Going to spend the remaining days left grammar checking and elaborating on one of the endings.

9 years ago

I am out.  It's a shame.  Good luck to the rest!

Story-game Contest Stats/Info [sOOn, My pReTTy]

9 years ago

=\ I'm ... contemplating the real possibility of needing to drop out, I'm just not sure I can finish it in time. If I hadn't gotten so sick, I would've been a lot closer by now, but... there's enough left to do that it's making me pretty nervous. *sigh*

Story-game Contest Stats/Info [HOW MANY ENTIRES?]

9 years ago

Guys, how many people are finished with their stories? We don't have polls here, so I can't just poll to get a deadline increase. Do people in general feel that they need a bit more time? 

I would like to see a bunch of entries, and would hate to scrap the contest because there are only, say, three out of 50 intents.

[EDIT:] Post here if you want an extension and believe such a thing would enable you to submit a story with which you are pleased.

9 years ago

I am finishing tying off spare branches right now, then I will upload and publish once I finish work and get home.

Mine will not be spell checked or really complete as that will take me many months more, however I have tied off all loose ends and it will be a fully playable story with several branching paths and even some added cameos to make it fun.

9 years ago

Well, I think I could finish if the extension is long enough and I get the same writing done as I did two days ago. If I did the math correctly, I would need another 25 days in addition to what we have already, working at 4 pages a day. That would be really pushing my abilities though, and what my time when we get back to school would allow, so I'm pretty sure I'm out of the contest.

9 years ago

xD As I've said in other threads / with other methods (poor Madglee...) my answer is yes, I would feel able to submit a complete and worthy project if given more time.