Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Rick Riordan

9 years ago
By Rick Riordan:
The whole Percy Jackson series
The Heroes of Olympus series
The Kane Chronicals series
A couple books in The 39 Clues

If you've read any of those, come and speak up on this Forum. Share toughts about what you think of his books. For those of you who haven't read these but live adventure and fantasy, read about these books!

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I read the first two series when I was younger. 

Rick Riordan

9 years ago
How were they?

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

In an one word summarization? Good. 

Rick Riordan

9 years ago
Awesome? That's how I'd decribe most books.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

You mean that's how you'd describe most books that you'd read.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago
Yeah, that.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I read every book in the Percy Jackson series. The books are very interesting, but interesting doesn't really describe it; maybe fascinating? thrilling? Maybe awesome.
 And I watched the movie for The Lightning Thief.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I read the Percy Jackson series, not the Heroes of Olympus. They were pretty good, but the movies were terrible, and the dialogue was sub par.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I enjoy Heroes of Olympus much better than the first arc of the PJ series.

Also, I read the last book. Nobody important died, so I came off as unhappy.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Yeah, Heroes of Olympus is a lot better. But someone did sort of die, just in a weird way. Still, I liked it. If only there was more.  :(

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Are we talking about Percy's death?

Naw... PJ was much better.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

No, it was Leo. He 'dies', then somehow comes back for Calypso anyway. Ain't nobody got time for death when you've got a prophecy to fulfill. cheeky

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I know it was Leo.  I just didn't want to spoil it.

And Leo doesn't die...  devil

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I wanted someone important to die. For some reason, I wanted Percy to die in particular.

I don't have anything against him, but seriously. If he dies in ANY book, I'll be able to sleep peacefully.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Myeh, I didn't like Percy Jackson, or the Kane Chronicles, but that was probably just because the Gods and monsters didn't work at all the way I thought they would. Ever since I first picked up Daulairse's and other Mythology books, I imagined, from the readings, that each character was a certain way and all that, but I guess he translated them well. Better than Poptropica did, I guess. When I was younger, I always imagined what it would be like if the Aztec and Norse gods lived in our world, but I guess I wouldn't like Riordan's version either.  How much you want to bet that Kane and Percy have a crossover eventually, though?

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I liked Percy Jackson/Heroes of Olympus but for some reason didn't enjoy Kane Chronicles. Honestly what set of Mythology will Riordan next use? The Hindu gods?

I'm not exactly sure how Jackson/Kane could have a crossover, as their respective quests seem fairly different.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

He is doing Norse gods next.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Yeah.  I don't believe he's done with Percy yet. *wink*

Crossover anyone?  Magnus Chase...  Annabeth Chase...  Hmm...

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Oh no, please no! Don't let him ruin the images of my next favorite mythology with annoying teenagers now! Granted, they are probably the least annoying teenagers in literary history, but for God's sake (pun intended) it becomes almost more of a P.I.T.A. to read than The Wendigo by H.G. Welles because of how campy it feels.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

@ISentinelPenguinI Ever read American Gods by Neil Gaiman? 

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

No, I did try reading those James Lovegrove books, but since it was at Barnes and Noble, I put the books down before the end of the first chapter, since it's sort of a moral obligation to not read past the middle of a book in a book store, unless it's a Deadpool comic book, in which case you can go from cover to cover so long as it's not a big important hardcover thing. It's pretty much the only reason I haven't read the first part of "Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe".  So yeah, ramblings aside, I never got a solid idea of how Lovegrove's gods were, but judging by the cover and voice, it might have been just Percy Jackson without the humor and annoying teen-agedness.

What is American Gods like?

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Percy Jackson was good until the third book, kept spiraling downwards in quality though I feel it had a decent ending. Couldn't care for the rest of Riordan's books.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

I've read every single one of those books except the one or two books in The 39 Clues.  Fantastic writer overall, yet I am a bit disappointed at the last "Heroes of Olympus" series.  Percy should've at least had a few chapters of narration in my opinion.

I have a few speculations of the new series that he is making, starting with the name of Magnus Chase compared to Annabeth Chase.

:d :d :d (all rights reserved to kittycat)

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

As a whole he does an excellent job. I have read many of the original myth's and believe he does a good job translating them into modern world. The best jobs? maybe not but over all a good writer.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Rick Riordan...he's just finished the Heroes of Oly,,pus, I think? My sis was spazzing about it. I think she's like number 123 on the list for his latest book at the library.

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Holy crappers!  #123!?

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Finished the Percy Jackson series, and while I liked a lot of how he incorporates bits and pieces of Roman / Greek mythos into his novels, a lot of the events made me twitch my nose.

Zeus wasn't the biggest jackass like he usually was.

Poseidon didn't favor giants and cyclopes anymore.

Ares is a dumbass, though he's supposed to be a god of war in multiple ways, and got his ass beat (which is not supposed to happen if he truly is a God of War).

Why the hell is there a Gorgon in the US?  Moreover, why did so many people who supposedly died in the legends respawn to screw around with Percy this time?

Greek gods, despite being the OGs with their OG name, are clearly different from their Roman counterparts.  There's a Jupiter and a Zeus?

...well, then there should be a Cronus and a Uranus...

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

Wait, they seriously went the route GoW went when they couldn't think of any more bosses!? Goddammit, this is the kind of shit that makes ignorant NRA fanatics believe that God and Allah are completely different!

Rick Riordan

9 years ago

So I like read the first PJ book, it was good. And a few 39 clues. Nice. But he keeps going....and going....