Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Going Bovine [SPOILER ALERT]

9 years ago

It is presently 4:52 AM. I have just stayed up all night, reading this book from start-to-finish. I fucking love Going Bovine. It's one of the most hilarious, yet intricate things I have ever read. Here's my take on the ending. 

So Cameron was being killed by a prion disease. I propose that according to Schrödingers  cat, at the end, he was both alive and dead. When he died, his alternate reality did as well, causing Dulcie to be in his afterlife. 

Or, like the Wishing Tree, Dulcie was granting his wish. She allowed him to "live" for the next two weeks, beyond his standard existence and chose to go with him to the afterlife, being an angel and all. 

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things. 

9 years ago

I'm literally going to get this book just so I can reply with my own thoughts :P

9 years ago

... DO IT

9 years ago

Yeah I will. I'll head over to my library and see if its in stock ;)

9 years ago

It's really different from any of her other books.  (Have your read Don Quixote?  It's pretty heavily influenced by that story.)

9 years ago

That's an interesting theory, though I don't think the Wishing Tree has that much significance (though maybe it does).

I personally believe the first sightings of the fire gods and feather and everything past Dulcie's first meeting with Cameron till Cam dies is just a hallucination, and Dulcie is a biblical angel. First of all, when you think about it, nothing makes sense/adds up: What is the significance of Gizmo attending? How did the band disappear and appear with no cares given from anyone? How does Dr. X connect to Dulcie? How did Dr. X accomplish what he did? How did the jazz musician live (wasn't he dead?) How does a yard gnome talk? I think it's just a hallucination Cam created, using bits and pieces of his memories, for example the gnome being a Norse god and his mother teaching him Norse mythology, Junior, or Gizmo. This continues until he faces himself and promptly dies. Now Dulcie is more of an interesting character. She's a messenger, probably sent from God, to inform Cam he has two weeks to live. Note how Cam's friends or any of the other characters don't notice Dulcie, and how Cam always goes on about her details... it's because she isn't part of the hallucination: she's real.

Unfortunately, my theory can't explain a lot of what's happening :/

My favorite character is the yard gnome.

9 years ago

The yard gnome was fucking epic.

8 years ago

I adore that book.

I believe Cam was hallucinating the whole time, and died, sort of trapped in his mind or sumpth'n.

I felt really bad for Cam...seeing the fire giants and all.... I haven't really liked a teen book for a long time.