Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Fishbones

9 years ago

I'm gonna just stick it out there- Fishbones is a character driven dream come true. I can't stop reading it lately.

http://www.fishbonescomic.com/novel/

Fishbones is story about some Jewish kid named Ferris, who is friends with a very dangerous (or should I say "flaming dangerous") member of the Italian mafia. Although it has it's action moments (complete with guns and cursing and curb stomping and what not), Fishbones is more about growing up. The cast is its shining point; everyone is interesting and at least mildly likable.

In the end, Fishbones reads like and excellent fanfiction- or at least what i'd imagine an excellent fanfiction would read like. It's just a bunch of lovely characters, running around, getting drunk, getting beat up, beating other people and having their moments. The dialogue also proves to be impressively clever at times.

So check it out. It feels amateur on the occasion, but its a good, comfortable read with lots of fun characters. There's also a comic version, but theirs only 90 pages. It's nicely done though!

And also, can we say an extra prayer for Seamus, who is in grave danger of dying of alcohol poisoning on his own accord.