Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Goblin Emperor

8 years ago

Click!

"The youngest, half-goblin son of the Emperor has lived his entire life in exile, distant from the Imperial Court and the deadly intrigue that suffuses it. But when his father and three sons in line for the throne are killed in an "accident," he has no choice but to take his place as the only surviving rightful heir."

It took me a while to get around to reading this, but when I did... well, I was sorry I'd missed the deadline to vote for the Hugos. It's a lovely book. It reminds me quite a bit of Lois McMaster Bujold, one of my very favorite authors. She and Addison both seem to value integrity and compassion in their protagonists.

As one of the top-most Amazon reviews mentions, there's "approximately one half of an action scene in over four hundred pages." It's worth noting that this is a five-star review. Personally, I had no idea it was that long -- I bought it as an e-book, and  read it in a single bout of insomnia. And I look forward to rereading it in the future.

I'm sure it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're even halfway intrigued, I suggest reading the first chapter (or however long the sample is) and seeing if it grabs you.

The Goblin Emperor

8 years ago

Not like the Hugos mean anything these days...

The Goblin Emperor

8 years ago

I think that's yet to be determined. Which is the other reason I'm sorry I missed the deadline. :P

The Goblin Emperor

8 years ago

I like it how this is one of the rare books that actually goes into details about court etiquette somewhat more than most, but people get pissed off because they aren't seeing any "action" and scandal go on like Game of Thrones.

#stopGoT2015