Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

Any books that you guys feel you shouldn't like, but you do? It's okay, this is a watchlist a safe place. 

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

The Harry Potter books. They're ridiculous, filled with plot holes/inconsistencies, had obvious 'twists', repeated euphemisms that got tired after a while (Harry's head feeling like it was splitting open happened like every other paragraph at one point), and have a very conceited fanbase; but they were fun to read when I was younger, so hey. Good on Rowling for exploiting that market, even if she can't write herself out of a paper bag.

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

Edit: Oh wait, I've got one! Ender's Game. Card is an anti-gay bigot, and frankly, the average quality of his writing is such that I'm perfectly happy to never buy anything by him ever again. But I can't quite bear to part with my battered copy of Ender's Game. :P

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

Space Marine Battles novels. They're campy, poorly-written, and are basically a slightly more gothic version of space-adventure stories but I enjoy them nonetheless. 

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

I thought Starship Troopers was well done. I've been avoiding the movie for that reason XD

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't know there was an actual series called 'Space Marine Battles' :P

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

I'll let you know if anything comes to mind. I tend not to feel guilt about reading.

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

Two words: Marvel Noir.

... Actually, I don't know if it should be a guilty pleasure, because it's not bad so much as it is polarizing, particularly regarding Wolverine/Daredevil. My truly guilty pleasure would either be the Bible or Flan, but I think Flan is truly good and its content is the only thing making me call it a guilty pleasure because I don't want to come off as a homicidal maniac...

I don't really have any guilty pleasures, I don't think. If I like a book, I like it, imho.

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago
Books by Stephen King and Louis L'Amour for obvious reasons.

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago
50 shades

Guilty Pleasure Books

8 years ago

War of the Spider Queen, because I enjoyed shitty characters getting smutted.