Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Witcher

8 years ago

I see that no-one made a thread about this, so I will :)

I played through the second and the third game, played the crap out of the third one, and when I saw that they were based off of books.... Well, I think you can imagine my response. I just started reading Last Wish... I love it to bits! Got to page 100, or something like that?

Anyway, what's your opinion on the books.

The Witcher

8 years ago

I really like the Last Wish.  Don't know about the rest.

Not all the books got translated into english. 

The Witcher

8 years ago

No... But a large chunk of them did, I am pretty sure.

The Witcher

8 years ago

If you count the fan translations (which were really quite good) then all of it was translated.

The Witcher

8 years ago

Do these books go from beginning to end? How do they correlate with the games? Overall, sounds like an amazing read.

The Witcher

8 years ago

The first couple books are just assorted stories about various people in the Witcher world, usually having Geralt as the main character. Solid book series mostly unrelated to the games (which aren't canon officially). Couple of direct book-references in Witcher 3 though.

The Witcher

8 years ago

First two books are a story collection, but I think the rest is a saga.

The Witcher

8 years ago
Just started reading The Last Wish. I'm a bit bummed that I couldn't find an English version of A Road with No Return (Droga, z której sie nie wraca)/The Road of No Return (are they the same?) which is the first book chronologically :/

The Witcher

8 years ago

The Witcher chronologicly

(The Short Stories):

-The Last Wish

-Season of Storms (this one is set between stories in the Last wish, so I guess this goes here?)

-Sword of Destiny

(The Witcher Saga):

-Blood of the Elves

-Time of Contempt

-Baptism of Fire

-The Swallow's Tower*

-Lady of the Lake*

(Video Games)

-Witcher 2 Flashbacks

-The Witcher 1

-The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

-The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

*The last two stories have yet to be translated to English (Even though they're available on my language though, except the Lady of the Lake). Swallow's tower is due to be released on English in 2016, and the Lady of the Lake in 2017.

I am not sure about The Road with No Return and Something ends, Something begins. After looking it up on Wikipedia, the following is said:

Although "The Road With No Return" and "Cos sie konczy, cos sie zaczyna" ("Something Ends, Something Begins", an alternate ending of the Witcher saga about Geralt and Yennefer's wedding written as a wedding gift for Sapkowski's friends) were later published in Cos sie konczy, cos sie zaczyna, the other stories in that book are unconnected to the Witcher series. In some Polish editions, "Droga, z której sie nie wraca" and "Cos sie konczy, cos sie zaczyna" are added to The Last Wish or Miecz przeznaczenia.

So, the stories are added to The Last Wish? This one is confusing...