Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Favorite Stephen King book?

7 years ago

Mine is cell

7 years ago

Um . . . how many have you read?  XD

(I think Cell's a weaker effort, personally.)

7 years ago

I've read almost all

7 years ago
It's a tough call between Pet Sematary and Carrie.

7 years ago

The Shining.

7 years ago

Misery.

7 years ago
For me, it's a tossup between Misery and Gerald's Game.

The first one I read was It, but I felt let down by the ending until I saw The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension when it became obvious that it was a parody rather than just a horror novel.

7 years ago

It would be easier for me to list the ones I didn't like quite as much as all the others.  Honestly, I think even King's absolute worst is better than 90% of the horror fiction out there. 

*C'mon, literature fans.  Don't just tell me a title, tell me why that one in particular. XD*

7 years ago

Cell, because I love the fact on how creepy it was

7 years ago

It.

7 years ago

Except for revisiting The Shining recently, I haven't read any of the classic Stephen King's in a long time. Not sure how I'd like them today. I'm not sure if it just started happening at some specific point (when he became too famous for an editor?) or if I was just too young to notice when I first started reading his older stuff, but while I'm generally a huge fan of the beginning and middle of his books, they get very meh on the ends when they get to the point where he really obviously had no idea where he was going with them any more, but needed to wrap them up somehow.

If you've read his On Writing, he makes it a point that he never plans or writes outlines, and when you sit down and read the books it becomes clear the times that works out for him and the times it...really doesn't.

Cell was one of the worst examples of an otherwise great story unraveling at the end I'd ever read. (Note I've only read a couple of the Dark Tower books, though from what I've heard it's a good thing I dropped them early...)

Though of his more recent work, I did like both Duma Key and Mr. Mercedes.

I have more favorites among his short stories than the actual novels. They can be hit and miss, but when they hit, holy shit. There's some I read years and years ago that had an impact that's stuck with me to this day.  

7 years ago

The one with a preteen gangbang in a sewer.

Or Misery. It's a tossoff. Up! Tossup. Cause, lul crazy fandom, works on many levels after looking through comments on game forums, and RUINED FOREVER, leaving forever, and fanfic.

7 years ago

Has Stephen King ever been asked questions or commented about his preteen sewer sex?

Because it was just such a weird thing to make a major plot point.

7 years ago

I think it had to do with lost innocence. 

7 years ago
I find it hilarious.

7 years ago

The Stand. 

7 years ago

Last I read by King was his short story collection Full Dark, No Stars, which I thought was pretty strong overall. My favorites are the first and last stories, 1922 and A Good Marriage, respectively;

1922 is about a down-on-his-luck farmer whose bitterness over the impending loss of his land inspires a bloody idea to save it. Uxorcide, Bonnie-and-Clyde-style killing sprees, and rats abound. There's a pretty good, eponymously named song by Shooter Jennings based on it, too.

A Good Marriage tells the story of a wife's unsettling realization that her devoted milquetoast husband is actually a notorious serial killer. King was supposedly inspired by the story of the BTK Killer, and the public doubt at the time that Dennis Rader's wife could have known nothing about his crimes.

The other stories are Big Driver and Fair Extension, the latter being a somewhat uninspired reflection on the tragic escalation of petty paybacks and the depths of human greed and envy by way of a Faustian bargain. Big Driver is an interesting tale, though; a rape-and-revenge story from the point-of-view of a 'cozy mystery' writer.

7 years ago

Probably Pet Sematary because I first read it right after my cat died, and I really could get into it more after that. I guess it felt "realer".