Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

He's probably my favorite author, and I was wondering if many of you people have read his books. Or could suggest some of his more obscure books to read. 

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago
I went through a phase where I binged through most of his older books, even the really weird and obscure stuff. Haven't really kept up with him in recent years. It was a shame the Ender's Game movie blew such donkey balls though.

I know there is/was a lot of controversy around him, but I'm pretty used to have to tiptoe around a lot of weird ass beliefs from authors who's stuff I otherwise like.

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

Honestly, I've read most of his books. (I think) I'm just kinda hoping for a new one to read, because I really like his writing style. It got me hooked enough to read four of his books in the past week and a half. I feel like they could've extended the movie by a lot more. It didn't give the same feeling as the book did. And that's ignoring all of the stuff they got wrong. 

I do the same stuff as you. Read the books, not the authors. It helps me not be biased about the book. Although I did not know about  controversies regarding him.

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

There were controversies?

Anyways, I've read the Ender Game books, and that was it. They were very good, and I have been meaning to read more of his books.

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

He doesn’t like gay people, but he’s a wacky mormon so it’s hardly surprising.

It didn’t really seem to come out a lot until around the time he wrote some book called Empire which I guess was about America getting overthrown by fanatical leftists and the protagonist was trying to defeat them.

And then there was also a video game connected to it called Shadow Complex (which barely even addresses the book) where people bitched back and forth on forums about whether or not buying the game made you part of the problem.

(I bought the game)

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

Oh. I feel like I would have been better of not knowing this.
Meh. Actually, I don't think it really matters to me.

His books are good=I will keep reading them

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

same. Ender's Shadow is probably my favorite of his.

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago
Oh so the game did come out? I thought it had been abandoned.

It's kind of funny that the least interesting book he ever wrote, the soulless commissioned one, was the one to get people all up in arms.

Mormons are fucking weird but it's not even close to the weirdest thing he ever wrote and I feel like he somewhat has an excuse for that one, I mean when asked to write a near future story about America having a civil war that a shooting things game can be based on , red vs blue is the first idea most people would jump to.

Though it is kind of hilarious that somehow no one involved seemed to realize how badly they'd be pissing people off.

Is the game any good?

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago

Shadow Complex? Lol, yeah it came out years ago on the last gen consoles and its recently been remastered for the new consoles.

Honestly the game easily stands on its own just as a pretty cool 2D castlevania/metroid type game since it never really mentions stuff from the book other than the whole rebellion premise. It isn't like you go around killing gay people unless all the rebels in the complex are some modern version of the Companions of Thrace legion that wasn't mentioned in the lore.

Orson Scott Card

7 years ago
Okay I'm actually intrigued now, I was picturing it as some dull FPS shooty mans game.

And it's on Steam for $15, nice. Even without a console I can still do my part to support the eradication of the gays.