Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

I faintly recall that I read a book called The Animal Farm when I was persevering through my Highschool days. The use of symbolism in the story really interests me and the book itself is a good short read. I'm pretty sure that this book is based on the World War I and World War II, up until the Cold War. Do kindly correct me if I'm wrong. Not only that, but the vivid imagery and the numerous personalities of the characters really interest me. 

What are your thoughts on this short read, and the use of symbolism? Whose character in the book do you like the most? Any other books you recommend made by George Orwell? 

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

Personally my favorite book I've ever read in school. Satire today wouldn't be the same without it. And it was pretty ballsy of the guy to write it at that time I may add.

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

Yes, being against Stalin and Communism, one of the ballsiest moves one could make as a First World Citizen at the time. I hear he also had the balls to be opposed to Nazism.

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

Just logged on now to edit this because I realized I fucked up the date in my head. Beat me to it.

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

Animal Farm is an awesome book. There's also a great cartoon adaptation that's definitely worth a watch. The book is actually based on events leading up to the Russian Revolution of 1917, rather than WWI or II.

Another great book by George Orwell is 1984 about a dystopian future (well past now, it's a really old book) where the country is watched over by the government called Big Brother. The government has invented a term called "doublethink" which basically means the government will tell you what to believe and you have to believe it even if you know for a fact it's not true.

Sales of the book actually surged after Trump came into power and Kellyanne Conway started talking about "Alternate Facts". cheeky

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

1984 eh? I'll go give that book a look, the concept seems really interesting. By the way, who is Kellyanne Conway? I've been living under a rock and in the reading corner for quite a long time. 

Edit: There is also a story about 1984 in this site, what a coincidence!

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

She's a Counselor to Donald Trump and infamous for being a bit of an idiot. When Sean Spicer claimed that Donald Trump had the largest crowd to attend an inauguration ever, the media asked why he lied about it. Kellyanne Conway said that he wasn't lying, he was just presenting "Alternative Facts"... Which I guess reminded a lot of people of 1984. Basically the idea that, it doesn't matter if something's true or not, if the government tells you to believe something, you're supposed to believe it. cheeky

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

Animal Farm actually spans from the 1917 Revolution until the end of WWII. If I remember correctly, the attack on the farm by the ousted farmer and colleagues was for example meant to symbolise the invasion of the Soviet Union by Nazi Germany. The 'Lenin' pig also dies quite early on, and the whole book is more or less a criticism of Stalinism. 

Anyhow, Animal Farm's a really good read. Orwell managed to write a book that's as easy to read as a children's book, but still recognisably references many of the flaws with the development of communism in the Soviet Union. And he sort of predicted the eventual outcome of the Stalinist/Soviet-style communist system. 

I also agree with the 1984 recommendation, it's a great book. I actually like it even more than Animal Farm.

You can say what you want about the Trump administration, but at least it's bringing back the golden age of dystopian novels.  

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago
How silly! No one needs to read old books or pay attention to history because it can't possibly repeat itself. This is not a thing that ever happens. Everyone in the past was just a drooling caveman retard and that's why bad things happened to them. All of you just go play more video games and don't worry about anything. :)

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

1984 and Animal Farm were both critiques of Stalinism. Goldstein, for instance, is referencing Stalin attacking Trotsky over being a Jew. 

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago
Ugh! I hate that book! First one I ever read that didn't have a good ending lol!

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago
Yeah I read it as a kid and iirc I was pretty upset at the time. Talking animals and no happy ending? What was that shit? Even worse than Charlotte's Web. :[

The Animal Farm?

7 years ago

This isn't a book, but "Shooting an Elephant," is a short story by George Orwell. It only takes a few minutes to read, but it has a lot of really interesting messages about how society works in there. It's a true story from George Orwell's time as a police officer in Burma. I do warn that the story is a bit graphic.