Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

If you counted the number of continuations and such, I wonder how far above 15 you'd get. I've only ever played Kaine's Tale in Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (the version of it found on the Wii Shop Channel).

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I have like fifty hours on FF 15 and that's all been made up of side quests and hunts so far. I may be getting close to being a bit too overpowered for the main storyline quests at this point.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I hear that after IV, the games become more stand alone than storyline, is that true?

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I don't think so, but then again, I grew up playing the console final fantasy games. My first one being seven like most nowadays.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Ah, Kaine's Tale (on Final Fantasy 4: After Years), is my first one (my brother got it on the Wii Shop Channel, and I'm not sure if it defers any from the PS or PC version.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Have you been enjoying it so far?

And I don't there would be any differences, save graphically. But that is to be expected, right?

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Yeah, that's to be expected. All I have left is the Challenge Dungeon. I got through the game and I fell in love with the characters. Approaching the castle, I'd would've thought a big battle was about to happen to save Cecil (I didn't expect Kaine the Dragoon to be the final boss), although I guess you technically did save him. The very end just left me mad...

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I can understand why. It's why I like to put off story missions in my RPG games if possible. The endings are usually bittersweet and I dun like crying, so bleh.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

FF4: The After Years made it seem like the Dragoon Kaine wasn't Cecil's only threat. But I guess I'd have to buy another tale on the Wii Shop Channel which probably discontinued with Wii Conect 24.

The end kinda left me hanging.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

The only entries I've played in the franchise are FF 12 and a demo. I've been meaning to get the old ones (not the new ones, I prefer turn-based over action in RPGs), but other RPGs have taken up my time. However, I have played a decent number of entries in the Dragon Quest franchise. 

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Twelve was pretty good.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

When it comes to turn based, my absolute favorite would have to be Battle Hunters on the Playstation 1.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

If Fire Emblem counts then those are my favorite games to play.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I've only ever played Fire Emblem characters on SSB Melee & Brawl.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Fire Emblem is amazing! I have yet to play the older ones, but the newer ones are fantastic strategy games. I haven't completed them yet, mostly due to me losing interest in them and my horrible strategic skill, but I really need to get back into them.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Yup, Conquest was a blast to play because there's just something really fun about having to really think and plan your next move.

I don't really play Smash all that much, but i know it's quite popular.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Yep, especially when you choose classic, then the choices you make hold even more weight.

Smash 4 is a fun game to play every once in a while with friends. I've completed everything single-player has to offer (trophies, achievements, etc.), so that's really the only way I can have fun with the game now. I liked Brawl for the single-player campaign, but that's it. I haven't gotten to Melee, and I've only played a little of the original.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

My brothers got so annoyed whenever I was Meta Knight, Pikachu, or Sonic on Brawl.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

They're all really annoying characters, haha.

In a stage without walls, Sonic is unwieldly to play in the first place, so it's always grounds for frustration when somebody is actually playing him and knowing what they're doing. What makes him cancerous is that not only is he all waifish and evasive, unlike other characters which were made for more "participation" in the violence party, but all his attacks look the same, so you have less of a gauge on what he's going to do and how to prepare for it than, say, better designed characters with distinctive movements. Even ROB had a better-thought-out moveset than Sonic, which is really saying something, given what a cherrytapper he is.

In general, fast, flappy characters who don't hit very hard but easily stunlock are a pain in the ass. Since Pikachu is small, fast, hard to hit, and his attacks are easily stunlocking area-denial-type moves with dodges mixed in, he can get very obnoxious very quickly. Pichu is even faster, and more annoying in that regard, but he hits himself so you don't have to. (Unless he thunder-calls on the platform above him. Then it absorbs the lightning bolt and takes no damage. This makes him amazingly cheap in places like Hyrule Temple, Yoshi's Island, and other places with big floors underneath a plethora of lightning protection.

Meta knight brings with him all the tedium of being a kirby bastard with a frustrating amount of air control, and he combines it with a lot of fast, fru-fru attacks that do almost nothing but stunlock and annoy the victim. In general, people who hit big and can be hit back get a good enough back-and-forth that they aren't considered as annoying, while light, speedy characters are hella annoying because they're mobile and you usually knock them for miles rather than sit and beat the crap out of them, which allows them to keep avoiding and pestering you.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Legends of Legaia for PS1 would be my favorite Turn-Based RPG, I think. Mainly because the battle arena at the end where you have to beat almost every boss with only your barehanded kung fu and some magic-ey bobbers has a way of making you feel like the ultimate badass not long before you take on the final boss and get your shit slapped.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I like pro fishing.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

I like Cabela's hunting games.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago
My favourite is VI mostly because of the story. Couldn't play even an hour of VII though.

Final Fantasy

7 years ago

Was VII not your cup of tea?