Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Please don't squeak.

6 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxn56l9WcU

I saw this and decided to share it here because the frog is cute and any opinion contrary to mine is wrong. Also it's a great analogy for what I'm talking about here.

So, I peform in competition debating and just went to a match a couple hours ago. If any of you haven't done debating, it's basically arguing against three other people with two of your friends(?) until something gives and their side breaks down. It's mental capture the flag; the flags are key issues relating to the topic. If anyone does some STUPID SHIT, namely: spew logical fallacies during the entire thing, it gets ugly quick. And that's what happened. We (my team and I) were debating about pivoting from the US to China (cos I live in Australia and the US is pretty much our big brother) and the buildup was intense, mostly because there were so many points they had at their disposal and there was a big turnout at the venue. Everyone was expecting a good debate. Instead, the spectacle of seeing two teams have a verbal slugfest was fucking RUINED. My team was against some 'rival' team that was supposedly 'hard to beat'. It was fine until they had the moxie to base their entire case on: "Their facts are false and they're lying LISTEN TO US..." Everyone in the room couldn't stand it and entered a catatonic state of mind, since we've won and there's no point listening anymore because any discussion about the topic at hand has been rendered irrelevant by these cute dumbasses who were egged on by their smug sultana-of-a-coach and her vigorous head nodding. If anyone has had anything like this happen to them, please share because I feel like I've wasted the past week of preparation and the only cure to my misery is reveling in the misery of others.

Please don't squeak.

6 years ago

Congratulations on the apparently easily fought victory.