Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

War for Planet of the Apes

6 years ago

So I just saw this and I thought was okay. If you liked the other two, you’ll probably like this one.

The biggest complaint is they had way too many attempts at FEELS moments. Seriously felt like they had one every 15 minutes or so (Complete with FEELS music and meaningful ape looks) They also had a “comic relief” ape, but he wasn’t too terrible. I thought the human girl child tag a long was going to be more annoying, but even she wasn’t excessively bad either. Probably helped that she couldn’t speak.

Was more of a traveling commando ape unit sneak into the human base and kill the evil human leader/save apes plot rather than an all out war as well. Woody Harrelson usually plays a bad guy well and he was fine as the human Colonel. He had perfectly valid reasons for his actions too.

Not a perfect movie, but again, apes with guns out for revenge so it couldn’t really fail too badly.

6 years ago

FEELS

In all honesty though, I've never seen one of these movies. The whole concept just never appealed to me, as it just seemed a little to outlandish and zany for my tastes. And the commercials never helped that any, except for Woody Harrelson being in the movie, but I wish he would just fucking hop on and do Zombieland 2 already.

6 years ago

I reallyyyyyy liked Woody in his recent performance in Edge of Seventeen so I'll prob go watch it just for him.

6 years ago
Is it still canon that the apes are eventually just going to make a really bigoted and oppressive society of their own? Kind of all feels pointless if so, even when the movies keep presenting them as the heroes we know any likeable characters on either side ultimately won't matter.

Though I liked the last one more than I expected, probably since it had a pretty balanced set of characters from both sides and for me the FEELS came in from viewing it as a tragedy about how easy it is for a couple of assholes to burn bridges and undo all the work decent people did in building them.

Also it had this sweet af promo poster and how could a movie like this be anything but good?

Anyway, mildy disappointed War doesn't contain more all out war, but it's good to hear they managed to keep the little girl from being insufferable. Maybe Hollywood is slowly learning how to handle child characters.

6 years ago

Nah, the apes still aren’t really going that route. Caesar is more concerned with being left alone than ape supremacy.

Woody’s character doesn’t even really hate the apes so much as he sees them as a threat to replace humanity so he feels he needs to stop them now. If anything they fleshed Woody's character out a lot better than Gary Oldman's character in the second movie who was barely in it and anyone could have been playing his role since they didn't really use him well.

As for the war stuff, I mean there’s battle scenes (and even a big one eventually) but yeah it’s not like a straight up war movie.

6 years ago

What do you mean, there have been plenty of amazing child actors. My personal favorite is the girl from Interview with the Vampire.

6 years ago
or that girl who played Mathilda in Leon The Professional.

6 years ago

Have you even watched the originals? The films these were based off wasn't the original Planet of the Apes, but the forth film in that series, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, which it's loosely based off without any of the time travel bullshit because they needed to get the smart apes from the world Charlton Heston nuked to contemporary Earth and now they don't because the first film in this rebooted series just starts off there. Past Conquest, although things looked like they'd lead to a repressive society, in the end their Caesar managed to stop a repeat of the past after the gorilla general killed his son, and instead man and ape lived side by side in the future.

God, fucking amateur nerds, not knowing the source material.

Also, Stranger Things exists, child actors can be terrific. You just hate children.

6 years ago

I thought it was funny how the whole "War" turned out to be a bunch of apes sneaking around to kill one dude too, since irl when people say chimps have "War", they're also referring to the time that Chimp recorders found a bunch of apes sneaking around to jump just one other chimp they personally didn't like.

6 years ago

I know Jane Goodall found two groups of chimps attacking each other over an extended period of time, which is about the closest they get to a "war" in the real world.

Here's an article on chimps warring with each other.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150811-do-animals-fight-wars

EDIT: Found the chimp war I was thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gombe_Chimpanzee_War

6 years ago

It was dumb. Why did they need a big fucking wooden wall if they were getting attacked by missiles? Why did the other soldiers charge the wall? 

Maurice is the best character as always though.