WatchNon-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Message

A place to sit back, hang out, and talk about anything you'd like.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago

Hey, does anybody here watch some Rick and Morty? That show is absolutely the best thing to ever happen to adult cartoons (and no, I'm NOT talking about Hentai) since Family Guy. It's FINALLY coming back July 30 with some new episodes, since it's 2 year relapse after Season 2 in 2015.

Anyways, if anybody here does watch it, what's your favorite episode? My personal favorite was the episode where the parasites infected the house and created false family memories. That one was really fun and thought out.

And one more thing, does anybody have any reccomendations for shows that are similiar to Rick and Morty? I love it, but there simply isn't enough of it.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago

Eh, I should've expected the users of a writing site wouldn't like a TV show with amazing writing... smh...

Rick and Morty

4 days ago
You lack patience. I love the show, it's the best Western animation that's for smart AND dumb people since the original Simpsons series/Futurama. Not sure I can pick a favorite in the episodes given the variety and quality across the board, but the Unity and marriage counselling ones were fun. For a more gritty Western Animation, I'd recommend Bojack Horseman (season one is trash and I literally skipped to Season 2 after watching the pilot, but Season 2 and 3 deliver fantastically).

Also, who are you kidding here, creative folks love creative content in any form (books, movies, anime, tv shows, Indonesian shadow puppets, or what have you), it's pretty naive of you to assume that they won't have diverse interests in media.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago

Eh, Season One's alright, Season Two's spectacular, Season Three's a step down.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago
Agreed, Season three's coming out in a few days, right?

Rick and Morty

4 days ago

Season three's been out for ages, Season Four's out September 8.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago
Wikipedia does not agree. Looks like we'll be getting the remaining episodes start the end of this month.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago

Oh, was talking about Bojack Horseman. Which, seeing as I already said Season 3 was a step down which would mean I've seen it, should've been fairly obvious, as well as the fact it was in response to you talking about Season 1, 2 and 3 of Bojack Horseman and no other show, and I responded to you, rather than the entire thread which as a whole was about Rick and Morty.

Rick and Morty

4 days ago
Ah, my bad. Great to hear Bojack's getting new content, looks like it's a good year ahead

Rick and Morty

3 days ago

I began watching Bojack Horseman thanks to the reccomendation, and it's pretty enjoyable. I started at season 1 and was immediately hooked, so thank you for that.

But it pales in comparison to how amazing Rick and Morty is...

Rick and Morty

4 days ago
stryker is right. some threads take years to get a reply - patience is necessary.

Rick and Morty

3 days ago

Time to get schwifty!

It's hard to chose a favorite Rick and Morty episode as they are all just fantastic, everyone of them. But if I had to pick, it's the episode with the Citadel of Ricks. Still want to find out what happened to the evil Morty.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

I'm sure the evil Morty will make his return sometime in Season 3 (hopefully).

Didn't the Citadel of Ricks get like, murdered? That came across to me as wasted potential, but maybe I'm just trippin. Like, so many unique Ricks and Morty's to explore, wasted.

Oh, well.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

Rick and Morty is okay. Just okay. Its super formulaic and relies on the same kind of joke every episode.  Something vulgar happens, Rick does something gross and cynical, it ends with a Touching Family Moment™, roll credits. 

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

I strongly disagree with you, you won't find another TV show as unique as it is. No two episodes are alike, other than the fact that, what, they have two plots that they revolve between? I believe you wrote that response just to be cynical.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

Yes, because seeing the patterns in people's humor never makes anyone tired of it at all, and anyone who sees those patterns is just trying to be an edgelord. That's why Mike Meyers still dominates all TV comedy from thw 90s to this very day every SNL host had to try so hard to replace him because everything he does is always new, defies patterns, and is objectively good, and nobody can ever dislike or see any flaws in shit like this.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

Okay, so I see your point about the repetitive nature of the humor of the characters, what with Rick always burping and repeating himself, and Morty's less than average intelligence... but there is a variety of it throughout the show, it's not like they do the same stupid shit over and over again.

It's called PERSONALITY, and CHARACTER. Something that most TV shows struggle with, ending in bland and unoriginal content.

And what, you act like Family Guy still doesn't garner millions of views each season?

Rick and Morty

yesterday

I actually like Rick's burping and repeating himself, and the show in general. The fact of the matter is though that it does tend to follow a pattern of ridiculous shit happening, and then either an existential question or a questioning of how genuine Rick is as a person. That hasn't gotten tired for me because it feels like they do something different every time, but if that's not your bag it's not your bag and I can't really blame Mall for it.

And Jesus Christ don't get me started on everything that's wrong with Family Guy. The only reason it's been un-cancelled is because it's become the basic show for basic viewers and people are free to record the 50 or so episodes that are actually funny whenever they're on.

It's the same reason that the Simpson's are on: it's old, and they have fans who hang onto the glory days hoping that once-or-twice-a-season event occurs that's consistently funny all the way through, or it's just the thing to watch for people who come home in the afternoon or on weekends and their kids think it's the edgy adult thing to do.

The storytelling is eclectic and schizophrenic, the characters are all retards and/or sociopaths, the humor is always dumb and/or just trying to provoke people, blindly clinging to pop culture rather than trying to survive on its own merits just because it'll draw people's attention, Brian became a Mary Sue that distorts reality just because, and in general it burned out after the first season and became the AIDS it is today.

It's the clickbait of Cartoons, the only thing it did was be pleasant and edgier than The Simpsons long after the Simpsons started to suck, and brought cutaway gags to American audiences. Then it rested on its laurels and became whatever stuck to the wall when writers threw their shit at it. I'll admit there's sometimes an episode that reminds me why I liked Family Guy in the first place, but those are few and far between, and they're getting further apart with each passing season. Family guy is a bad thing. It was never a particularly good or innovative thing to happen to cartoons, and it's sunken to such an abhorrent state of sub-mediocrity that I loathe to acknowledge it's accomplishments. The fact that you mentioned it in the same breath as Rick and Morty in the OP made me literally laugh, and now that I know you're being serious I'm actually kind of worried.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

Okay, let me get this straight.? Nowhere did I state I liked Family Guy anywhere close to as much as I liked Rick and Morty. I was replying to your comment about the same comedy personalities getting old and out of date, and I brought up Family Guy to prove that sometimes, they can keep the same retarded feel that still entices viewers to this day.?

Nonetheless, I still like Family Guy. But yeah, most of your points struck home with the way I currently feel about Family Guy, but in a way, it's therapeutic, like when I hear the opening sequence I relax a little bit more. It's something to watch that comes on pretty regularly and I still find entertaining, and isn't as close to a snoozefest that the Simpsons has evolved to. When Brian died, I was glued to the screen wanting to see how that story was going to evolve.

Still, I find American Dad a little bit more entertaining, it's a little bit smarter, more whacky, less retarded. Seth Macfarlane can still bring the laughs, no matter how few and far between they are (look at Ted! I loved that frickin movie! The second one was a disapointment... but, let's not derail here.).

I disagree with Mall's points because his points don't have any substance as an argument. Like, where the hell are the heart warming family moments? What the fuck is he talking about with the same kind of joke, than the typical personalities that bleed through with it's characters?

But personally, the real reason why I feel like I enjoy Rick and Morty so much, and there are so many reasons, is the way the continuity works. Look at how much Morty was effected by the episode that completely ruined his timeline, and him and Rick had to abandon their original one entirely, which led to them burying themselves. Or how Morty changed after the Purge world, where he threw the grandpa down the stairs and went on a killing spree, which comes through in the season premiere, where he shot Rick in the Council of Ricks, thinking he was actually going to kill him (thank god it was a decoy gun).

I want shows with not only funny jokes, but also entertaining stories and a rich world. And I feel like only Rick and Morty delivers on that front.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago
I agree.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

But MAAALK it explores themes of Nihilism vs. Nietcheism in a quaint and intellectually accessible way! It's a philosophical masterpiece and stuff!

But yeah. Since I don't have cable it's always a treat to watch when I do get to do it, but after the first season or so you start to notice the tropes. Beyond the interesting visuals, and in-jokes, I could definitely see it becoming a sort of same-ey slog if you see a bunch of episodes in a row.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

Except I binged watched it, and I loved every second of it, except for a few episodes that seem to have been over done (read: the episode that they venture into a human body, and even that was hilarious with all the diseases in a homeless person and Morty getting laid, and Rick taking that away.)

So, even in the episodes I didn't like as much, there are plenty of redeeming qualities.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

I question whether you watch the show, as the show is far more than vulgarity, and definitely far from touching family moment, unless you count "Parents get divorced", "Mother drinks after she shoots family friend", "Rick and Morty bury their own corpses as they realize how death stands over them all" or that sort of thing. Also, not formulaic and the jokes vary greatly. In fact, you're an idiot, go back to watching trite like Logan and the Wolverine.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

Yeah, it's just edginess for the sake of edginess. Don't be such a triggered faggot. It's not that great. 

Rick and Morty

yesterday

Pffh, only dumbasses who can't recognize when something is actually pushing boundaries for interesting and insightful reasons would thick it's edgy for edgy sake. But you know, even if it was edgy for edgy's sake I'm glad it doesn't end with a tocuhing family moment, so you're just talking out of your ass. Well done.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

I just want you to actually criticize the show intelligently, instead of criticizing it for something that isn't even in the show.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

Anyway, if you want shows similar to Rick and Morty, I have a few off the top of my head to offer.

Dr. Who: if you like old guys dragging otherwise innocent bystanders through dangerous sci-fi situations, this is your show. The guy producing the new stuff is the same guy behind several other self-indulgent bullshit-fests like Sherlock, so I wouldn't trust it for quality consistency, and it's so huge as a series that hearing fans offer their points as to which bunch of seasons is best and which episode is the best starting point can only really be made in broad, sweeping statements and end up sounding just as generalized and abstract as debating which D&D system is the best one to use. That's not really the way to watch Dr. Who, though. Just tune in at some point, read the cliff notes of past episodes if it's in the middle of a story arc, and pop some corn for sci-fi weirdness.

There's a collection of sci-fi indie films from the seventies called "Sci-fi Invasion". That's sort of the sci-fi pool that Rick and Morty draws from, and while I definitely haven'haven't made it through all 280 something movies, I'm sure there's plenty of goofy 70s cheese to make it an enjoyable watch every once in a while.

Riki Oh, Story of Ricky: I honestly just wanted to suggest this movie in public. It's a hilarious corny Sci-fi thing made by storytellers who, like Rick and Morty, don't exactly give a shit about making sense or consistency. It also has that lovely feel that you get from a lot of Chinese cinema where you can't tell whether the movie was made seriously or not. Like most Chinese movies, the dialogue is funnier in the subtitles than it is in the dub, but if that's distracting there's a perfectly servicable dub that stays almost faithful to the subtitles in some of the more laughable lines, but the only thing it really has on the subtitles is a guy in the bathroom singing Satisfaction.

Harmonquest: It's like a Web show with similar humor where the guys who did Rick and Morty do D&D.

Space Dandy: It's like Johnny Bravo in space. Well, in space more often than Johnny usually is. Similar whackass multiverse, a little less cynical than R&M is, but it's still funny and a bit less formulaic.

Cowboy Bebop: A lot more grounded than anything previously mentioned, but it's a damn interesting space show with plenty of funny moments scattered throughout.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

I don't really remember any major scifi elements in Riki Oh, other than the warden turning into a giant monster at one point.

Rick and Morty

2 days ago

It's one of those 80s-90s things that takes place in some vague near-future where everything is made of concrete blocks and the government is all dystopian. And the warden's Kim-Jong-looking stand-in has a robot hook hand and  a robo-eye.

In the Manga it's based on, I think there's some undertones implying that the Block Leader dudes are genetically modified or something to be superhuman, but in Riki Oh they're just insane and nothing more needs to be said.

Rick and Morty

yesterday

Out of the collection of recommendations that you've provided for me, I think I'm most interested in Harmonquest and Space Dandy, so I'll definitely check those out. Thanks.