Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Edgelord video games coming out

6 years ago

Some of these look okay, but as usual the trailers are probably going to be the best part for most of these when (and if) they actually come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5MFj3uG7rM

6 years ago

Horror games and movies don't really strike a cord with me as they have in the past. The only games that will ever be coming out that I will feel hype for is Bethesda RPGs... and that's like, it.

6 years ago

Thanks for your contribution. It's good to know you can't appreciate art unless it's either a mediocre cartoon or a multinational media syndicate slamming their cock directly into your uvula. 

6 years ago

It's possible to appreciate something without getting hyped for it. Getting hyped for media in general is a hard bargain and generally setting yourself up for disappointment unless you've found some dev/director/etc you can expect some serious consistency from. Problems though they may have, Bethesda RPGs are pretty consistent, at least in the sense that none of them have been shit, so much as they've been good but scratchy and yellow around the edges. 

You may not get excited about something if it's not out yet, but you can certainly like something as you experience it. If he's saying he doesn't really like watching trailers. If he's talking about liking things in general then I'd be willing to hop on this train.

6 years ago

I dunno, Fallout 4 and ESO were pretty shit.

6 years ago

ESO was shit, but MMOs are usually shit. Fallout 4 wasn't a shit game. Compared to the rest of the series? Yeah, FO4 fell many, many steps down from all its predecessors, but it's still a good game compared to games in general.

6 years ago

I just feel like it's more of a bullet sponge FPS now as opposed to a Wasteland Adventure. I mean, when you get to a high enough level, every deathclaw is "mythic" or "legendary". That used to mean something, y'know? You'd only find, like, one of these per game. And once you beat them, there was the accomplishment that you beat the Legendary Deathclaw/Mirelurk/Bloatfly/etc. But now there's really no challenge once you're level 100+, because you've most likely prepared for deathclaw attacks and can probably kill one no sweat with your endgame armor and guns.

6 years ago

Like I said, FO4 is the shit game of the series, but in and of itself it's not a shittt game. If Fallout 4 was the only one released ever, people would love it as much as they loved the earlier fallout games.

6 years ago

I agree. FO4 lost a lot of root elements, including the good RPG feel that was what made fans love the games in the first place, but you can still spend hundreds and hundreds of hours in the game and have major fun, and they only come out once or twice a decade.

In all honesty, Bethesda never did the Fallout games extraordinarily well, what with FO3's linear and boring story and with FO4's loss of major RPG elements, but fuck are they fun to play still. The formula, as Todd Howard is fond of saying, 'It just works'.

6 years ago

I'M still pretty sure NV was the pinnacle of what they could have done with the 3D Fallouts. I'm just hoping the end on a strong note with TES 6 if that even happens.

6 years ago

Which is hilarious, since Bethesda didn't even make that game.

The problem that I have with Bethesda, is they aren't that good at writing the stories. The lore? A-One. World Building? Perfect. But the main storylines in all of their games falls flat to me, so much potential wasted with some bad writers at Bethesda. Like, for instance, the civil war in Skyrim. Not only did it feel so fake, like other than everyone talking about it, it had no effect on the world. Even after the war ends, the only difference is the cosmetics with, oh, the Imperials or the Stormcloaks now are posted everywhere, and SPOILER the Jarl of Windhelm being replaced if you decide to kill him.? The whole questline breaks immersion, especially in the battles with respawning enemies.

Then compare that to NV, with the sprawling different factions across the world and the different endings all leading up to that very difficult but rewarding climax.

Bethesda should just make the engines, and hand them over to Obsidian. It would make the world a better place.

6 years ago

I feel like Skyrim was Bethesda's attempt to make TES more like New Vegas by simplifying away all those rpg elements and focussing on skills and stunts like New Vegas did, and then throwing in some morally gray factions alongside the overarching plot just because that's what NV did. They also took away the majority of miscellaneous fun skills and modifiers for no real reason and added a focus on combat, crafting, and sneaking that the Fallout games have. They also made combat all clunky and animation-based, so I dunno what happened there, but the rest really smacks of imitation without knowing exactly how to handle what was done in a fun and/or meaningful way. They know how to build amazing worlds but have no idea what to do with them. At least, not when the player is free to experience the world in any way or order they please. Their linear stuff like Doom and Wolfenstein was on point.

6 years ago

I've never had the chance to play Doom or Wolfenstein, but I'll take your word for it. Like I said, so much potential, so I could see Bethesda making very good linear games, but they're overall story telling in an open world RPG game is just outmatched by Obsidian. From a business perspective, Bethesda handing the reigns over to Obsidian was bad on their part, because now fans just want Obsidian to make the Fallout games.

Hopefully they repeat the cycle they did with FO3 and NV, handing the engine and gameplay over to Obsidian for a second game. That would make me nut. So hard.

Although I find it unlikely.

6 years ago

You know, I was going to waste the effort to explain myself to you, but you honestly aren't even worth the time or energy.

6 years ago

There was one post apocalyptic/horror/survival game that I saw a while ago in EA that had the feature of being able to interact with the most miniscule of things that made it seem really cool. Like you could check in the hood of the car, tire pressure, and some other mechanics. Forgot what the name was though.

Still salty about State of Decay 2 being delayed until next year.

6 years ago

I like State of Decay, and appreciate what it's doing to the genre, but I hate the real world time system they implemented. Maybe if they changed that in State of Decay 2, and instead made it based off of game time and not real world time, I would be more apt to be excited for this one.

6 years ago
State of decay had terrible balancing issues. That and people breaking on a multiple times per day basis just pissed me off.

6 years ago

That survive the nights thing reminds me a bit of left 4 dead. 

6 years ago

The one that looked the most interesting to me was Project Wight.

Playing as a monster as it grows up and killing hostile Vikings seemed a bit different than the rest of them.

6 years ago

Agreed. ^-^ 

Tossing some Vikings off cliffs seems like it can be pretty fun.

6 years ago

Oh hell yeah, Project Wight got me really excited, and I kept scouring youtube for more gameplay so much after seeing that. Being a flying ghoul or whatever was certainly much better than that stupid, abysmal-looking Vampire game in the same video, and half those other .99 cent basic indie-looking things.