WatchNon-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Message

A place to sit back, hang out, and talk about anything you'd like.

Opinions On We Happy Few?

20 days ago

I thought it looked rather interesting, and got it. It *is* still in early access and the developers say that the version we currently have is not the full version, or even close to everything the full version has to offer... Still, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

The game is set in a world where people did something terrible which they wished to forget, so they created a drug called "Joy", which suppressed all the terrible memories, and caused everyone to seem happy and joyful. And caused people to want to kill everyone who is off their Joy to remove all the negative in this world and make sure they never remember the terrible thing they did.

The beginning showed promise, but after the prologue-ish part was pretty much where I lost interest...

There's not really a story after that. There are interesting places to explore, but most of them aren't really explained or not explained well enough, and mostly its just boring; running around for food, choosing what to drop, and killing everyone with a pointy stick and looting their dead corpses...

It's really a nice concept, but as it is right now its just boring. Hope it doesn't go the same way as No Man's Sky, since that was a hugeeee disappointment and I mourn the money and time spent on it.

Anyone else played it/heard of it? And what are your thoughts of it?

19 days ago
I heard that Gearbox bought the devs instead of making Borderlands 3 and received quite a bit of negativity due to it. The game also double in price overnight and I am pretty sure the ratings have tanked. The game itself seemed a bit confusing to me. Reading the store page, I had no idea what the game actually was. Is it a survival game? Roguelike? Never got around to playing it though.

18 days ago

Yupppp. I bought back when it was an almost-decent-price. I still thought it was ridiculously high for an early access, but whatever.

Didn't get around to playing it until now-ish.

It's a roguelike game, I guess. Though I was a chicken and checked the box so I wouldn't have a perma death.

It's definitely survival ._. I got killed so many times because of lack of food...and lack of water that wasn't laced with joy...

19 days ago

Didn't even know it was out yet. 

I remember linking to a trailer like a year ago and I thought it was in development hell.

Reminded me of a bioshock/fallout clone set in England.

18 days ago

Early access and oh dear god, don't compare it to bioshock and fallout, please. I loved Bioshock's storyline. X'D

19 days ago
I would expect very little of it. The game has been in development hell and seems to lack any sense of identity or notable mechanics, as Hex mentioned. Being picked up by Gearbox and being 'converted to AAA" reeks of stupidity and an even worse lack of focus (just what is being added to justify a doubling in price of an Early Access game?!). I'd say take your money elsewhere.

18 days ago

But it had such an interesting concept :(

Oh well. 

19 days ago

A lot of wasted potential so far.

19 days ago

Nothing but a directionless slog so far. If I wanted to run around punching people in the 70s I'd play Mafia 3.

18 days ago

Basically! Though I use a pointy stick and fetish zappers (the ones from the House of Curious Behaviours)

I bought it cause the trailer seemed so cool >.> (and was so misleading)

18 days ago

I "tried it out" with a "Special  Download" (Never buy an early access survival game on Steam. NEVER.) a while before the ads started. Seemed fun because it reminded me of those rare but awesome moments in Mount and Blade Napoleonic Wars where everybody's a Russian Partizan. At least in that everybody's randomly equipped and you get to take advantage of the insane reach/speed disparity between all these different weapons. But then I discovered it was really just a game of Stunlock-a-Mole and it lost all its appeal and became every other meter-babysitting sim.

17 days ago

I just got a totally different vibe from what the trailer appeared to be and then it suddenly it is a rogue-like game, which is fine, but I expected a Bioshock vibe-y FPS. IDK, just a weird little expectation versus reality thing. But from what I hear, it's not a bad rogue-like and they are planning on adding a single player mode, but games in early access usually don't come out very good.

17 days ago

If you want a good Roguelike, you'll get better bang for your buck playing Necropolis, Wazhack, Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode, a sketchy modded overhaul of an Elder Scrolls game, Barony, Unreal World... Really most Roguelikes are a better Roguelike experience than this. This is an imitation roguelike, lIke Minecraft haRd core mode or something. It's very much a first person survival game with permaddeath tacked on.

But at least they (probably accidentally) incorporated more than just the usual two PDL elements that games seem to use (This being an early access survival game, though, I think it's probably entirely by accident) in the form of a "Food Timer". Problem is, while it works fairly well as a force to drive the player forward in a turn-based system, it's completely obnoxious cancer when there's A) More than one of them and B) They all decrease in real fucking time. Hell, the food timer doesn't even fulfill it's intended purpose of forcing you to progress when there's a functionally infinite amount of forageable resources and water sources and a goddamn bunker. If anything, it encourages turtling into the starting area until you're a one-lad army and the permadeath doesn't matter anymore.