Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

There's a lot going on, isn't there? With it being hurricane season (and the hurricanes this year are particularly deadly), It's hard not to talk about much else. 
But among other, not as important things, we finally got the reboot of 'IT'. I really liked the movie, and after that, went about, re-watching many old horror movies, like 
'It' (1990)
'Killer Klowns From Outer Space'
'Friday the 13th' series
'Nightmare on Elm Street' series
'Alien' series
'Predator' series
etc...

Amongst all of these, I still have much more to watch. But last night, I asked myself; "What's the best horror movie?" Well, I decided to bring up this question here in the lounge, and see what you guys love. What's your favorite horror movie? What about the protagonists and/or antagonists? 

Personally, my favorite horror movie is 'Aliens'. It was a good sequel to the original, still maintaining the horror movie qualities as well as having an interesting story line. And amongst this, my favorite creature is most definitely the xenomorph alien. 

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

My favorite horror movie is The Exorcist. It's one of the few horror movies that can send chills down my spine no matter how many times I watch it.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Oh, true! I hate and love that movie, I think It's really as scary as it is because It's one of the most realistic horror movies in the sense of supernatural horror.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago
Honestly, I find the hollywood horror movies pretty lame. In India we have shit like Vastu Shastra and Horror Story (people jokes that audience confused the director's horror movies with comedy so he named his next horror flick like this lel) that make me cry like an anime fan on a prom night.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Technically, It (1990) is actually a miniseries rather than an actual movie, but I digress. If you're counting it, I'd say it's probably my favorite horror film. The child actors were actually fairly decent, it made a genuinely terrifying villain and Tim Curry's spectacular. Plus, I always had a childhood crush on Seth Green in that. I mean, it was all amazing. It's final form was fairly disappointing, but besides that, spectacular. It is definitely one of my favorite antagonists, plus the kids were both likeable and relatively smart about going about.

Barring that, probably the Witch or It Follows, but I feel I'm forgetting a fair few old classics. I'm not counting most modern zombie films, since those seem to saunter on the lines of drama-action since "Near unkillable flesh eating former family and neighbours" kind of lost it's appeal.

Aliens was great, but I feel it leaned more towards action than horror. It definitely had horror elements, but the Marines were just taking out too much for it to be complete horror. It reminded me more of Starship Troopers than your traditional horror.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

I agree. The miniseries was pretty good, even with some rather questionable parts, I enjoyed the first film. It was... well, just about everything you described. And yeah, Seth Green was probably my favorite thing in the whole thing, other than Pennywise, that is.

And as for Aliens... maybe that's why I loved it so much. I do really enjoy action and drama just as much as, or even more than, horror. Concluding on the zombies... they really kinda played themselves out. I mean, I'll still watch the Walking Dead, but that's about it on zombies (Telltale did a good job though).

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

If you consider it a Horror movie Get Out was incredible.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Why wouldn't you consider it a horror film?

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

I do, most people I talk to consider it a thriller instead of a horror movie.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

do see their point. The movie contained both horror and thriller elements (thougn most horror movies these days are more thriller than horror).

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Huh, weird. I guess it could be considered, but honestly it did seem far more like a horror film. Either or, good film.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Horror movies for funnies and general entertainment:
6. The Blackula series which, despite sort of giving their protagonist a racially insensitive name, actually makes sense in the context of the movies since Crackula gave him that name as a mockery. I mean, I’m not sure why he chose to go with the moniker one dude gave him, maybe it’s one of those weird Vampire rules. You can’t go in a house you aren’t invited to, and you can’t deny or change your name, you can only resent the fact that it's your name.

5. Predator 1. The others were progressively less charming. Creature is awesome, but the fact that the victims were ridiculously badass was cool and it's not done very much. I mean sure, does having badass protagonists make the movie scary? Nah, but it's so much FUN!

4. Gozu. It’s only a horror movie in the loosest sense. I’m sure if I grew up surrounded by all the cultural things behind this movie, I wouldn’t find it quite as uncanny as I did, even though some moments were obviously meant to spook and disgust the audience on some level. It really defies explanation, but the closest approximation I could really make is that it’s like From Dusk Till Dawn, but very, very Japanese.

3. Society. It's visually interesting and fucked up at the same time. Never really saw a movie that blended those factors in quite the same way.

2. Dead Alive/Braindead/whatever your country has decided to call the Peter Jackson movie with an Australian Father Ted in it that kicks ass for the lord.

1. The Evil Dead series, if and especially if you accept the unassociated (and probably named by Americans to sell DVDs) Shaolin Vs. Evil Dead as part of the canon.

Movies that were actually Scary:

6. Aliens. It’s basically required to be on a list like this, it’s the default thing suggested by everyone and their monstrous conjoined twin, but for a really good reason.

5. Jacob’s Ladder. It’s a creepy trip all the way through, and it’s one of the few horror movies I’ve seen that's managed to pull off a genuinely comforting ending without taking away from the scary shit that happened and without resorting to “cheaper” methods of making creepiness linger on.

4.The Thing. It’s also a really fun movie, and I was considering putting it on the first list, but there’s something about the body horror in this movie that separates it from the ones up there. The notion that it’s a contagious parasite makes me cringe when I see it on screen, it’s like seeing a pile of bodies with plague boils or something, you wanna get the hell out of the room so you don’t catch it whenever you see one of the monsters waggling its way into the room. I actually felt the need to wash my hands the first time I saw it.

3. Haunted House, the 1954 one, not the tumorous 90s one. It’s one of those horror movies that came from a time before Special Effects, so all they had was layers and layers of tension and really depressing things to say about living with a mental illness or lack thereof.

2. Eraserhead. Might just be because I saw this when I was younger than I was supposed to be, but it really messed with me for a long time and I still get the willies hearing certain soundbytes and seeing screenshots from the film. Begotten also gets me similarly triggered, but Eraserhead was first, and always felt realer and more visceral to me.

1. Martyrs I think it was called. It’s a horror movie about Cults, but it snorted 10 grams of Nihilism on the way in. This is the kind of stuff that fucks up your mood and the general comfort of your life for a few days after watching it, take care.

Honorable mentions that didn’t quite make it onto either list but you should still watch:

6. Leprechaun 4: In Space. It's a leprechaun movie that takes place in Space. Did you know there was one? Well, there was. Kind of makes you want to see it, doesn't it? Come on, dammit. I can’t bear this pain alone!

5. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead. What if The Thing was an adult swim-style satire of the fast food industry? The hideous, hilarious answer to a question that nobody asked.

4. Tusk. It doesn’t have much going for it aside from the final transformation at the end, but it’s very goofy, disgusting, and worth the wait.

3. The Schizophreniac/Last House on Dead End Street “Series”. You’re more likely to be confused and offended than genuinely scared, but I personally make a hobby of being confused and offended, so it’s alright by me.

2. Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter. The Epitamy of 70s cheese and all the best parts of a Hammer Films vampire movie put together. It’s so ridiculously cheesy, with such perfect understated pathos about itself that I’ve been quoting it in things I’ve written ever since I first saw it. I’m sure if I checked things I wrote before I saw it, I’d still be quoting it. Every line and situation is so beautifully laced with Mozarella, it’s almost poetry in video form. It’s not as bombastic as the other “Fun” horror movies I suggested, but if you like slow-burn ridiculousness that’s very well tied down to its own little genre, it’s a must-watch.

1. Hellraiser. I dunno what it is about Hellraiser. I pretty much got into it because I liked the Motorhead song. I just like it I just like it because it doesn’t really seem to fit into any particular horror genre. It doesn’t feel like it’s trying to mess with your head or be a slasher movie, it just is, and it feels sort of unassuming and pleasant for that. Clive Barker never really seemed like a guy who bothered with genres or genuinely trying to scare people much anyway, he just tries to tell a cool story for the hell of it, and that’s a philosophy I can get behind… Even if he does get a little long-winded sometimes.

666 because lol Halloween or whatever.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Wow. You went all out on this! I'm genuinely impressed at the commitment. 

I haven't seen about half of those movies you mentioned, but for the ones I do know, I'd definitely have to agree with you! Especially about the 'Aliens' one. Mainly because that's my favorite movie of all time, so I'm pretty biased on the subject of the 'Alien' franchise.

I have yet to see 'Eraserhead', but you've inspired me.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Just so you don't have to bend over backwards to find a some of these, I'll list the ones (that I know of) that are available for free on youtube. Braindead and the Evil Dead series are free. However, you'll be hard-pressed to find an English version of Shaolin Vs. Evil Dead. I'd reccommend asking around on movie buff boards. (However, it does become more hilarious/weird the less you understand and the less you know about how Chinese Vampires work.) The people behind Poultrygeist are intensely political weirdoes that actually encourage pirating their movie either for the edge value or for some other political point, but you should probably find a way to actually buy the movie or send money their way in case they do some shit like this again. If you do, I don't really care, because honestly they wouldn't give a shit either. Blackula 2 is available for free on youtube, but the first one isn't (It is available on demand, though? But if you're gonna buy a movie you should probably invest in a physical copy of Blackula or something.)  Eraserhead is also available on youtube unless it's been removed.

On another note, I got the name and date of the "Haunted House" movie entirely wrong. It's called "The Haunting" and it's from 1963. I got it confuckled with "The Haunting of Hill House" which was the book I never read.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Oh, wow! Thanks! I'll make sure to watch these! They definitely seem interesting!

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Oh, right, and I forgot to mention that Hammer Films (Or, at least a sort of fan coalition that operates in memoriam of the actual company) has uploaded most of their gothic vampire/werewolf stuff (Including Captain Kronos) on youtube as well.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

The Poultrygiest people are Troma Entertainment. If they aren't making low budget B-horror movies, they're usually buying up old horror titles and rebranding them under the Troma banner.

They're best known for the Toxic Avenger series. I'd say their first one of that series was the best one though.

Mother's Day (1980) was probably one their better horror movies as well.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Part of the whole premise of Gozu is the protagonist is traveling through "Japanese Hell" hence all the symbolic weird shit going on in it. Still, the director (Takashi Miike) is pretty much well known for putting in a lot of surreal shock value stuff into his movies so it was going to be weird anyway.

If you liked Gozu, you probably should try Visitor Q as well. Doesn't have the supernatural element but it's just as weird, so it probably even defies the "horror" category that Gozu could at least fit under.

The other movie he's probably best known for is Ichi the Killer, though that one is loosely based on the Manga rather than a completely original work.

Society was cool, though I think they could have had a tighter script for it. As it stands, there are a few things going on in that movie that you can only guess at what they were trying to go for.

(Like the weird retarded mother who just seemed to only eat hair. My guess is due to all the inbreeding they were bound to have some of their own idiots running around who they tolerated due to them still being part of their "society".)

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago
Surprised that no one has yet mentioned The Shining.

Best Horror Movies

6 years ago

Jesus The Vampire Killer. Amazing special effects, killer soundtrack, and an oddly emotional script that just totally rips the empathy right outta ya. Second place is probably Sharktopus vs Whalewolf, very horrific and graphice, still get nightmares.