Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Catfish (And also Tickled, I suppose)

6 years ago

Ah, it's that time of the month where I talk shit about something that's critically acclaimed but utter shit. Or something that's not critically acclaimed, but just happened to be on. This time, we looked at Catfish, because it was referenced in the episode of Community with the war criminal that I happened to be rewatching. Well, time to talk about that.

I thought this would be a look into some creepy ass fuck who likes to manipulate other people out of sadism or some shit, but it wasn't. Instead, it was a depressing, pathetic individual. Not pathetic like your common Royal Ghost, who is both pathetic and easy as shit to hate, but like so genuinely pathetic I couldn't hate her as much as I should of. She lied to a guy, tore up his heart by luring him into a relationship with a girl who never existed and toyed with endless guys apparently. But her life was just such an utter mess. She was an aspiring painter and dancer who never took off there, straddled with two disabled kids, a husband who just didn't give a fuck, a daughter who she never saw and then a normal kid who was just there. These relationships weren't things she toyed and played with, it was her desperate attempt at a normal life in the middle of a complete and utter shit show. It was just awful. I genuinely couldn't build myself up to hate her despite what she did, which given that I'm Steve, should be very surprising.

Plus, the kids were a whole new level of fucked up. They were unlovable versions of Sloth. I don't know how any good person, especially a parent, just wouldn't take them out back and blow their brains out, seems like the moral thing to do. You have to have sympathy for someone who deals with that, and who chose to deal with that on a continuous basis. Plus, this is a good reminder for the necessity of my pro-Euthanasia, Abortion and Suicide policy.

Anyhow, it's an interesting look at a truly broken individual and their attempts to make connections through an idealized version of their life they created online. It's genuinely fascinating, disturbing and educating on the human psyche, and I'd genuinely recommend all of you watch it. It's worth noting there's some question as to how fooled the documentary makers were, but that doesn't matter. Real or fake, their reactions are jack shit. The real interesting factor is Angela, whose story is real, who did those things and was just that much of a... I don't know, I can't think of a word that describes her. Something in German, probably. 

There's a half hour of "Ooh, burdening romantic relationship", half an hour of investigation as the lies unravel and forty minutes of disturbing, depressing information about the most pathetic individual I have ever seen, and I remind you, I frequent this site and talk to its endless degenerates. Sure, it wasn't the exposing of a villain like Tickled that I very much enjoyed, although I'd also recommend you all watch Tickled, but holy fuck that is a journey is you watch it without knowing what it's about beforehand. Seriously, do that as well. Fuck it, watch both documentaries, and then talk to Steve about them, that shit's interesting as hell. 

And anyhow, Catfish will remind you that no one on this site is what they say they are, they're all liars.

6 years ago
Personally I believe almost everyone on this site is who they say they are, particularly RG, because really I see them more as examples of the kind of people most would prefer to pretend NOT to be.

Anyway I looked this up after you mentioned it and it looks interesting, I'll make a point to check it out in some theoretical future where I can watch things whenever I want like the rest of you in your Star Trek utopias.

6 years ago

Shit, I can only imagine how fucking terrible everyone on this site is if their CYS personas were the “coolest” thing they could come up with. Lol.

Sort of surprised neither one of you had heard of this movie before now since it’s been around awhile and they even ended up doing a whole series on MTV based on it.

Never really paid attention that it was supposed to be so critically acclaimed though. I mean people creating fake personas to make other people think that they're better than they actually are seems like Internet 101 honestly.

6 years ago
I watch LPs of games I wish I could play when I have the data (rarely) and if I expect to have two or more uninterrupted hours in front of the computer and for some reason aren't writing/staring at Scrivener with ever-growing despair I might put a Blu-ray in and watch it using some shitty shareware thing full of nag screens I found. (even rarer)

Life is hard under this rock.

6 years ago

I don't even know what I constantly do wrong, oh well. I get shitted on more than the average member, and that's saying something since you are always trolling to get people banned or whatever.

6 years ago

"Places like Africa that are extremely undeveloped should be a) developed so they can get on the same page, or b) wiped out to prevent diseases and whatnot from expanding to civilization. They shouldn't even be reproducing." -- RoyalGrost_007
Hmmmm... I wonder why people view you as a pathetic, unlikable user...

Anyway, this sounds like an interesting movie, Steve. I rather liked this review. (Also, I don't say much about me on this sight mostly due to my initial mistrust of what many users say about themselves, so I suppose this means this is one of the rare areas where we agree.)

6 years ago

I was trolling you dumb fuck

6 years ago

Actually, I was manipulating you. You only said that you were semi-trolling in that thread, so using that as a quote is not as effective as a full admission of guilt. I used your quote to cause you to say you were trolling (since you would view that as a defense). Now, I can throw this post at your face instead.

Thank you for doing exactly what I expected. :)

"I was trolling you dumb fuck" -- RoyalGhost_007
You also forgot the period.

6 years ago

"Lol. This place is such a frathouse!" - Battlemage (before he was put on double secret probation)

6 years ago
'I disagree with this decision. Mizal's act is okay but Battlemage's isn't?' - RG

6 years ago

I stand by that. You're a bitch, and you got the response you wanted, and you got him banned for it, you asshole.

6 years ago
Yes, I definitely expected a guy to randomly explode and start screaming about Nazis and some 4 month old argument in a separate, dead thread he was deliberating misrepresenting anyway, in the middle of a discussion on gun control in my thread on actual RL people who'd just been murdered. And then keep it up for multiple days while randomly flailing and screaming obscenities at passerbys and then just doubling down when an admin wanted him to chill out. Every detail according to my plan. Damn I'm good.

Anyway, this is a perfectly respectable thread that exists on discussing Catfish, or at least Steve's views on abortion and euthanasia which seem to match your own. Why don't you go make another one if those racist threads you like to make explicitly for the purpose of trolling (and attacking Wibbons out of nowhere I guess) instead of derailing this one?

6 years ago

Go hate on Steve, he fucks dogs.

You think I care if you know I was trolling? I least I made an active thread with a lot of conversation topics.

6 years ago

Don't be a piece of shit, have some respect for your mum and her friends. You shouldn't call them that, shithead.

6 years ago
This is false, End and I get directly insulted by Steve way more than you do. I've also never seen him attempting to get anyone banned, he pretty clearly uses internet arguments as a masturbation aid and for whatever reason certain people always seem happy to repeatedly oblige him by responding to obvious bait.

Fairly sure most other people here also would have posted a joke or snarky comment in response to the OP rather than a quiet sniffle and sad sighing. Maybe that has something to do with why he singled you out. Oh well.

6 years ago

Speaking of banning, just for future reference, if ANY of you get banned and you’re unsure of who did it, try to refrain from jumping to conclusions and heading to the ye olde Infinite Story graveyard to whine at me about it like Battlemage did.

He hilariously bitches at me for banning him which I didn’t even do, wants access to his stories and then when I respond back, he’s fucking nowhere to be found. As far as I’m concerned he can stayed banned for wasting my fucking time.

Besides all that, when have I ever NOT openly laughed with drunk petty internet admin power whenever I’ve banned someone? You’ll always know if I did it, believe me.

6 years ago
Bitching at an admin for banning you. Foolproof way to get unbanned. (Right up there with calling them semen garglers as a method of staying unbanned in its effectiveness.)

Also Berka flat out said he'd banned him. I'm surprised you got blamed for this when you'd already said you didn't care and weren't getting involved tbh but then again I have this sneaking suspicion BM didn't read too well.

6 years ago
How often do banned people hunt you down over there, BTW?

Does Berka get fan mail at BHB too?

6 years ago

Not many, like I said, I was just mentioning it for future reference.

CHOWHALL and DrkPhoenix did pop over there a long time ago to try to make friends with me. They failed miserably.

6 years ago

I went over there once.

Gotta say, not a fan.

6 years ago
I mean the actual site design is nice and clean, it's just that no one leaves feedback at all and with the forum gone there's nothing going on anywhere else.

I drop in like two or three times a year and sometimes there are semi-decent story starts amid all the random dreck. Somehow people keep finding the place, but with no audience and no feedback there's nothing to keep them around.

And of course it's pretty rare to see even the best stories be added to past the first few pages. They lack all caps discipline, etc.

6 years ago

I remember that Phoenix fag pretending to be his own girlfriend for himself. He was pretty amusing at the height of his autism. 

6 years ago
Nope.

6 years ago

*Shat, RG, you get shat on more than the average member. This is a writing site, take some pride in your grammar for fuck's sake.

6 years ago

Thought you were talking about the MTV show. Was extremely confused when you said it was 100+ minutes long.

Pfft. I ain't a liar. Everyone knows that I'm not a smart guy.

6 years ago
In my headcanon that last bit is what you said to the cops yesterday when they were trying to figure out why none of your friends made it out of the woods.

e: wait no it was probably just "I'm Tim. Tim. Tim. Tim?"

6 years ago

yeah basicly