Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

December Contest Thread -- Non-binding Sign Ups

6 years ago
Hey Everyone,

Sometime at the end of next week I'm going to officially announce the start of the First Year Ballad Anniversary Contest. In this contest, you will choose, on a first come, first serve basis, your own prompt from a list of thematic sentences.

Each thematic sentence will have an accompanying number. To claim a theme, you will reply to the thread and copy/paste the theme and its number, then edit lock your post (so you can't change themes once you claim one). I will try and check in every other day and send out confirmations in the inevitable event that someone fails to follow directions.

At any rate, I'd like to have a general idea of how many thematic sentences I should have prepared. I'm aiming to have a small surplus but would prefer to not write excessively more than necessary. The themes will vary in both specificity and genre. Some thematic lines will be formulated in a manner in which it will be deemed acceptable that they be included verbatim within the story. (Also acceptable if you include a generic theme in the story verbatim as an out-of-context Easter Egg, such as via dialogue.)

E.g...

A romantic thriller of two homosexual knights set in the Leon region of Spain during the 10th century.
vs.
And that's when Sarah decided to cut off Mr. Whiskers head and stuff it into the priest's mailbox.
vs.
A space opera.

Don't anticipate any of these being actual themes or to represent the style or quality of themes. They're just demonstrating the variety principle.

I'm hoping we generate a lot of interest for the contest. To help me gauge an idea of how many thematic sentences prepare, please announce your interest in this thread. And enjoy the upcoming holidays!

6 years ago
I will enter and win, etc.

My writing schedule is a little tight between now and New Year's, but I really like the idea this one is built around. I'll just treat it like a prompt thread on steroids, I've had pretty good success with those.

6 years ago

Don't you still have, like, 3 stories to write?

6 years ago
This can be one of them, provided one of the prompts gives me an idea that can be tackled over a single weekend.

6 years ago

Here we have a Tim, an easily tricked and brainwashed fool, who has accepted Mizal's three shitty stories as contributing towards the six she promised, even though they don't fall under the standards she laid out but then quickly fled from in her dive towards mediocrity. 

Don't be like Tim. Stop the lies, and make sure Mizal is held accountable.

6 years ago
OOTL here. link?

Also how many does she have left to write?

6 years ago

Six, and in her thread on the stories, motivation something or other, some helpful background character gave a link proving she'd changed the standards for her stories to remove the 6/8 length and rating. I'd get the link, but you're Ford, so I'll pass. Find it yourself, dipshit.

6 years ago
tbh I expected someone else entirely to chime in with an answer and the link. Surprised you were a bit more than half helpful.

Lol read the thread. Mizal is out 1k hahaha

6 years ago
Nah six weeks is plenty of time for three stories. I wrote 6000 words this weekend and that was between juggling house cleaning and hospital visits, hauling three loads of trash to the dump and caring for animals at two locations.

I'll be finished moving by this weekend and I am already reaping the benefits of full nights of sleep in a house where everything works the way it is supposed to work and not having to be hyperaware of what a 90 year old man is doing every waking moment so this shit will be easy.

6 years ago
I'll give it a go. Who knows, I might actually finish something this time around.

6 years ago
Just to be clear -- this contest is NOT another ballad contest based on the theme? Or is it...?

6 years ago
I will definitely be including at least one explicitly ballad theme. But if you can hold true to the core theme of another prompt and do it in ballad form, more power to you.

6 years ago
I will enter and do nothing because I'm moving, transferring to another uni, and getting a new job in december. I will definitely take up one of the sentences so be prepared :D

6 years ago
You didn't need to add 'and do nothing' after you said you'll enter. It's okay Ford, we know.

6 years ago
Said it for emphasis. Just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on that.

6 years ago
I'll throw my hand in- thanks for hosting Bucky.

6 years ago

Yes, I'm interested. No, I won't win :)

6 years ago

Woohoo! I'm so pumped for this contest! I definitely plan on joining.

6 years ago

I'm a bit busy in December, but as a non-binding show of interest, I might want to participate. Is it a CYOA-contest by the way, or a 'regular' story one? 

6 years ago
CYOA... but I might have a surprise

6 years ago

Sure, I'll enter! Sounds fun!

6 years ago

I'm interested. I might finally enter into a contest this time.

Edit: Well, maybe not actually. Been really busy lately and I'm trying to catch up, so I'll be skipping this one. Hopefully, I can find the time and effort for the next contest...

6 years ago