Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Doki Doki Literature Club Review

6 years ago

Wanting to look for some more hidden anime visual novels that have CYOA elements and almost rarely get played or shown on the front page, I stumbled across a fairly popular one that came out a few months ago. Naturally reading the reviews first I saw that this would be quite a experience with it also being horror.

Already having watched Corpse party and Higurashi, Im pretty senseless when it comes to these type of things unless the art style in creepy and unnatural like say code geass.

Anyway I'll be putting a spoiler section at the very, very bottom if you don't want to put yourself through this.

Anyway, the story starts out with your average anime Protagonist, who gets greeted by your average caring childhood friend. Shes the average outgoing and cute anime girl that is always caring and binded to you with a smile always on her face, totally kawaii and shit. So with her greetings out of the way and all her beginning character progression out of the way, the central plot starts with her inviting you to a literature club that shes in, because obviously every Japanese Student has to be in some sort of club. She persuades you with cupcakes and being a total slut for cupcakes you take her up on her offer and give the club a chance. The club is the Literature club, which who the fuck would honestly want to join because reading is ew. 

Here you are introduced to all the club members in one big spurt of dialogue that gives everyone a hint of their personality.

There's the cool and popular Monika

There's the quiet Edgelord  and nervous Yuri

There's the super kawaii and tsundure Natsuki

Finally there's that childhood friend of yours Sayori that most people end up going with first.

Being introduced to everyone the plot progresses with Monika, the club president telling everyone that they would have to produce a poem (weekly?) and to share it with everyone in the class. Here the gameplay starts to get a little unique, with you getting to choose the words of your poem out of a colum and with each selection it provides you with a meter on which girl the word would impress.

It never actually shows you your poems making you have to use your imagination on what kind of person you are. So the poem acts as a progression system on the girl that you wish to romance, although like any harem visual novel everyone wants your throbbing cock. A little to much in this one.

Towards the end of the story (The visual novel itself is pretty short in terms of the main path, not counting the replays with slightly different dialogue.)  there is a festival like in any other high school anime and you need to choose on who to help, with the dialogue changing on who you had romanced previously.

You never get to see the festival, as something fucked up happens in every route you pick and you are forced to reset wanting to change the outcome.

This game goes the route of Undertale in concept, in which the game itself is on one "save" and no matter what you delete or how many times your restart the "gamemaster" will remember your decisions and put some stupid ass jump scares to act really edgy. 

Not to say that there was no attachment to any of the girls, the writer really was able to plug you in with at least one RO so that you would feel at least some level of sadness. After the end of the main game you keep on resetting with each girl that you previously romanced disappearing until there is only one left. Though you already know who is in control from the beginning if you take the time to read the poems as they give lots of foreshadowing. Didn't read Yuris though, her cursive wasn't easy on the eyes.

The game did give me a few scares, more on Yuris path than anyone else's. Each girl has their own demon and cause of depression which made them join the club in the first place. If you do play this game then I suggest playing the beginning of it in the morning and the middle of it at night, it starts to mess with your heart around those times.

It was a pretty solid visual novel that could have cost something, and I was actually hoping that the length of each path could have increased. Although I see that they put in a tremendous amount of work in this as each path although seemingly similar has different amounts of dialogue depending on the exact specific route and order that you had chosen.

Give this a 7/10  Finish the rest of the paths was a chore much towards the end to be honest. It just started to drag on until I just opened up PUBG in the background and played the rest of the VN during que times. Though the story does give inspiration and has some characters that will leave a lasting impression on me for awhile. Was hoping for sum gud hentai too which was a disappoint. I would have probably rated it higher if I hadn't finished replaying katawa shoujo a week earlier.

I recommend giving it a chance if you're bored and want a experience with some cute visuals and some good characters. Pink haired girl will forever be my favorite.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

So if you don't really want to read this edgy CYOA visual novel then I'll just give the basic premise and my advanced opinion here.

So like each girl ends up killing herself at the end of their path, with the protagonist never able to get into their pants which is such a shame. Though for some of the paths such as Sayori it was really his fault since he didn't check up on her when he was delivering the cupcakes. Of course the Club Leader Monika was behind it all because she wanted you all to herself and started screen tearing the whole game with each girl that got eradicated.

The only real hentai in this shit was the edgy emo fingering herself to one of your poems which doesn't even fucking pop up if you didn't go through her path first. Naturally I went with the childhood friend first because who the fuck would say no to a girl that's totally down with being your slave. Anyway childhood friend hangs herself due to her feeling so much pain since she like she totally hates life and hates love because of it which was really fucking stupid. Though if you read her poems and pay attention to the dialogue then you know that Monika played a big part in her death.

Yuri goes all fucking seppuku on you and stabs herself, never got to read her dialogue on her final moments since I picked her second and it was all blocked out but it was most likely saying that she wanted your BBC or something in that nature. I was actually hoping that Yuri would start to fight for domination over the "player" with Monika and a Micheal Jackson "Just Beat It" knife fight would take place. Like honestly Yuri could have totally fucked up Monika if given the chance let's be real. But Monika was just ew as a romance option so I picked her second just to get her path over with. 

The cute Tsundure path I saved for last, since you always save the best for last obviously. BUT I NEVER GOT TO PLAY HER PART BECAUSE BITCHY MONIKA NEVER GAVE ME THE CHANCE. So like she finally confesses to you and breaks all walls saying that she wishes there was a romance option for her and stuff but then you have to delete her to progress and then out of nowhere your childhood friend just takes her place as the crazy bitch. This seems kinda dumb though, does that mean all the girls were self aware even after everything? Wouldn't they all just break the wall at that point? Kind of a plot hole. Well after that it ends with pictures being deleted in the credits.

Replayed one last time just to get the Tsundre girls route and stopped playing all together. Also Yuris just to get the fingering seen for the lulz. The ending wasn't really all that good in my opinion. Everyone was super horny for the Protagonist and because no one could stay friends everyone had to die. All I wanted was cupcakes tbh. Wouldn't have joined the club if given the option but you know.

TLDR  All girls want your cock and can't stay friends so everyone has to get super depressed and madness happens. Suicide is badass.

Also totally going to be making a fanfiction of this and posting it on here whenever I get the insiration

6 years ago

Well, as someone who played the game(and got the same ending as you... twice) I know that you actually got a bad ending. You can get the proper ending if you play everyone's path via different saves before the Sayori suicide scene. Then, you play the game as you have until now, except now at the end, Sayori won't go crazy and will congratulate you for trying to make everyone happy... then after the song plays, you get a letter from Dan Salvato himself congratulating you for finding the game's proper ending...

... yeah, needless to say, I actually enjoyed the game and would give it a 9/10.

6 years ago

Wait so I start a fresh new save after a reinstall... and I get through everyones route except for Sayoris last without letting Monika do a reset?

6 years ago

Ok, let me explain this in a better fashion.

First, reinstall the game so the data files are reset properly. Then, start the game and go through one of the routes, preferably start with Sayori's, and go her route up until the point you can choose to accept her confession, or friendzone her, don't choose anything yet, just save and exit the current playthrough(it doesn't really matter if you invite Yuri or Natsuki home with you, just make sure you invite the other person in one of the next two playthroughs).

Then, proceed to do both the Yuri and Natsuki routes(use saves if you want to, just don't overwrite the first save) up until the point Sayori confesses to you. Now, you can either load the first save and make your choice there or simply make your choice at the current playthrough, I personally tried the latter and it worked for me.

Either way, Sayori hangs herself and the game supposedly ends, though you probably knew this. If you start a new game, then a bugged out version of Sayori appears(since she's been deleted and all). Now, the game resets with a slightly new plotline, though you'll still end up in the club either way.

Things will be pretty much the same this day(though if you pay attention, there's a chance that one posters in the back might change to the picture of a hung Sayori), however now you'll only be able to go through either Yuri or Natsuki's route. I don't think it matters whose route you choose since if you choose Natsuki, Yuri will basically force you into her route.

From here on, you just need to play the route up until Monika deletes the two characters. Then it's just you and her, she talks a bit, she explains the situation, you have to do a pretty meaningless poem and then... well, if you want to proceed, you can go into the characters folder in the game's folder and delete Monika's file, however, I'd recommend reading some of her dialogue if you can be a bit patient, it actually is pretty interesting.

And from the moment you delete Monika's character file, then well, you can proceed since there won't really be any other choices you'll have to pick. Now, if you have done what I have written until now, then instead of the new Sayori going crazy and trying to take over, she'll thank you for trying to make all of them happy and then... the game ends with Monika's piano song(which I quite enjoy) and then a letter from Dan Salvato himself congratulating you for finding the true end to his game... and then done.

... or, if you're too lazy to play the game again, you can watch this guy complete it, it's quite entertaining.

6 years ago

I thought your anime harem thing was something that was already in progress.

6 years ago

Oh it is. Depending on if I finish this contest or not I'm going back to laboring with it afterwards. Making it very extensive and kawaii so it'll obviosuly take years.

This Fanfiction will prob be super short and just be about the pink hair girl.

6 years ago

A Fanfic about the clumsy girl? I'm slightly disappointed in your taste of waifus, though I will wish you look in both of these endeavors. 

6 years ago

I actually loved Doki Doki because it concealed the fact that it was a horror game. Oh- if you didn't do this yet, you should check the game files. When you're talking to Monika and you want to get rid of her, pop up her game file and delete it. There are little poems in the game files which is interesting. Oh, also if you check like the coding shtuff for the game, there's going to be some interesting messages there. 

6 years ago

I thought it was great, 9/10. Don't care to read Digit's whole review seeing as it seems he's just horny for anime girls, but whatever, his opinion's probably wrong.

6 years ago

I'm going to assume that you preferred Yuris route the most.

6 years ago

At first I liked her because she seemed cute and shy, but that got boring after a while, especially combined with the whole dark edgy shit that made me think I'd find someone better. Sayori was weird and boring, up until she was depressed, at which point I didn't want to deal with her shit. I liked Natsuki's cuteness behind a cunt exterior, so I suppose I preferred hers. Plus, I liked her poetry the best.

6 years ago

@Thara haha i told you. Pink Hair Tsundures are best waifus.

Yeah Yuri got way too emo and edgy towards the end making me assume that she was going to fuck up Monika.

6 years ago

I mean, it's just because I didn't want to deal with a cutter or a saddo, so I went with the one whose issues were outside there own head. In regards to... ugh... "waifus", probably best to pick one that doesn't look like a toddler, you pedo bastard.