Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Right lads, fun news, apparently, big evangelist Billy Graham died. Don't know how, hopefully via AIDS, it didn't say. To those of you who don't remember or didn't exist when he was doing big shit, Graham was one of those big time televangelists. Apparently, he was sixth richest at around $25,000,000, because the Bible constantly reiterated how wealth is important to get to heaven. Dude was anti-segregation and was friends with Martin Luther King Jr, which was nice.

He also talked with Nixon about how America is ran by the Jews and their synagogue of Satan, was an enemy of feminism in the 1970s, when it was really getting uppity, thought that women belonged in the kitchen, and supported "pray the gay away" camps, calling homosexuality "detestable" and "a sinister form of perversion". Really, he was a scumfuck.

But best of all, he came up with the Billy Graham Rule, which was where he'd never be left alone with a woman other than his wife. Because interacting with a woman as anything more than an object you can barely keep from fucking is impossible, and woman aren't any roles that would cause issue there. I mean, woman doctors? Ha! No, they're housewives.

I notice Mizal got especially upset about this, because apparently, he fought racism! Just like, you know, Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church, but apparently that comparison is mean, and Steve's a meanie for insulting such a great man when he died. Never mind, though, this is the Steve Hour, and Steve's celebrating another dead enemy. Huzzah, brothers!

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
By 'Mizal got especially upset' he actually means 'Mizal mentioned a major news story about a guy who's had an incredibly eventful and influential life for an entire century and Steve flipped the fuck out like a drunk hobo crashing a funeral to yell at the diseased and call people cunts'.

But since you've brought it up like three times now, the thing about not being alone with other women is also what Pence does, and it turned out to be smart af since it's apparently the only way to be a famous person and not grab teenage asses and get called out for it two decades later.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

"Yes yes I knew it would be impossible to mention somebody famous dying without Steve been Steve.
99 years of a life dedicated to other people and affecting millions can absolutely be summed up in a couple of paragraphs by a twisted little troll getting his little thrills in hating all the things."

We also got you whining that "Martin Luther King Jr and Queen Elizabeth liked him, so that excuses his sexism, antisemitism, homophobia and unrepentant hypocrisy", and some other bitching about Robbin Wililams being dead making you sad, or something. I don't know, it was all a strange blur followed from your earlier strange retardations in the chat, so I assume this is all you and your first time getting shitfaced for reasons you never explained.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
I noticed you left out your own out of nowhere rant that I was directly responding to and also the like, two sentences that made you launch into this whole thing in the first place. And then make a thread to continue it. Are you just especially lonely today, Steve?

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Didn't leave it out, just didn't include it. You opened with praising a hypocritical, homophobic, sexist anti-semite, and I yelled at you for it, as I'm prone to do. Your defense was "Oh, people like him, so him being fucking awful is coo!", which was, admittedly disappointing, so I made a thread to proselytize on why the man was a shitty person, because I appreciate irony.

Not lonely, anyhow, actually just ended an hour long conversation with my mate as I went to book plane tickets, which is harder than expected and cost me lots of money. Thanks for caring, though, but don't worry, making threads to cause fights isn't particularly beyond what I naturally do. 

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
This sounds like Steve.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

What sort of imbecile thinks "Don't be alone with an unrelated woman," equals "Women are objects, and I have no self-control"?

It's an easy way to avoid false rape accusations and damage to your reputation.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Yes, cut out your entire interaction with members of the opposite sex so there's no rumors. Of course, then you'll have to do the same with men, in case you're gay, and that's cool. The man tried to refuse a meeting with fucking Hillary Clinton over this, he wasn't doing that because he thought she was going to cry rape.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Hey, I'd probably use a lamer excuse than that to avoid meeting her.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

He still met with her. Good response, though, totally defended your point.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Honestly I kept thinking he died years ago.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
Yeah that was the weird thing, I was thinking he did too. But he just dropped out of sight due to being old af apparently and whatever was going on with his health.

I definitely wouldn't want to live to 99 but if I did I'd be doing everything possible to hang in there just a little longer and go for the triple digits.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

I kind of assumed the only way he was going out was Darth Vader lobbing him down a reactor 

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Nobody knows whether he's going to heaven or hell. It's God's job to judge, not ours.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

But otherwise, this dude seemed like a nut.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Nah, I think I'm going to judge him. See, judging people is how society works, and how we knew it was probably good to put child rapists in jail.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

I mean judging by like saying whether they're going to go to heaven or hell. Otherwise judge a person all you want lmfao

even though you technically shouldnt... according to the bible (but nobodys perfect)

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Yeah, I don't follow the Bible, so I definitely should judge people, and heaven or hell aren't real, so that just kind of leaves me to judge everyone.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
Aww, this was Sharkworld's last post. He's shitposting with the angels now.

Stay away from memes, kids. They'll fuck you up.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

I thought he had already passed away.

Now, he is in eternal paridice along with a crazy amount of people who became Christians due to him either directly or indirectly. 

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. -- Philippians 1:21

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

I'd say the odds are actually highly against him. I mean, he's almost definitely rotting in the ground, having only left a stain on this earth in his life. However, if you want to add the very scant chance that religion is right, that God is far, far more likely not to be the Christian God than it is just by probability, so with that, he's probably being brutally tortured for heresy and sending so many souls down an evil path. But probably just rotting.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
If you buy a plane ticket fast enough you probably join up with the Westboro folks in yelling all this stuff at the funeral.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Seriously, is that the card you're pulling? "He's dead, so now you can't be mad at him for being a homophobic, antisemitic, sexist, hypocritical piece of shit, because when someone terrible dies, they're no longer terrible! It's mean to insult dead people, even if they're cunts!"

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
>If you buy a plane ticket fast enough you probably join up with the Westboro folks in yelling all this stuff at the funeral.

>Seriously, is that the card you're pulling? "He's dead, so now you can't be mad at him for being a homophobic, antisemitic, sexist, hypocritical piece of shit, because when someone terrible dies, they're no longer terrible! It's mean to insult dead people, even if they're cunts!"

Time to play spot the differences in these two posts, everyone. I know they're 100% identical at first glance but this is a high level test of your reading skills.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

subtext isn't real. we've all been listening to you bitching about how colossal meanies we are to billy "what watergate" graham's tortured ghost 

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
...what?

Seriously, what? I've written 3000 words today and none of them in the IRC.

Last night I expressed annoyance, like, once, that you two were still masturbating each other and shoving it in my face like ten hours later. That's was when I briefly stopped in fifteen minutes before I went to bed to get the archive of the Jakethebro thread and was repeatedly interrupted and prevented from laughing at a noob.

In here I've only made short responses to a couple of direct attacks aimed at me. I'm not all that interested in participating in this weird fucking spiteful thread Steve made when two Discords and the IRC were no longer enough to call me a retard cunt in tbh.

Though it's true you guys are being far more dickish to me, in more ugly and personal ways and for far longer than I ever would to anyone I was even nominally on okay terms with. Not actually sure what brought this on suddenly after hanging out for two years basically without major incident, but the actual subject of the thread has little to do with what apparently is a much deeper problem.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Him being dead is exactly why you're bitching. It's why you're comparing it to yelling at a funeral, it's why you said "you just have to be the angry ranting drunk on all occasions even when it means crashing funerals to do it lol", it's the reason you're bitching about all this and keep bringing up him being dead like that means they're less of a piece of shit.

What exactly is your point, if not that? You haven't disagreed that he was a hypocritical, antisemitic, sexist, homophobe, so it's not  like you disagree with my points. 

Oh sorry, missed your other point, that Queen Elizabeth liked him, because a fallacious argument from authority, about a fucking queen of all people, because apparently being born to a certain bloodline makes you good at determining whether someone's good or not. Killer arguments, Miz.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

He wrote a letter to Nixon suggesting that they bomb North Vietnam's dikes to destroy their economy, which would have killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians. 

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

This is news to me, actually. Fascinating.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Also, he was caught saying antisemitic shit about driving the Jews out of power on the fucking Nixon tapes. Talk about being yoked with sinners 

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Had that one with "Synagogue of Satan". But remember, Klam, he's dead, so you can't insult him because you don't agree with his anti-semitism, homophobia, sexism, zealotry or his hypocrisy, or then YOU'D be like the Westboro Baptists.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
>crazy amount of people

The actual statistics are kind of nuts. One of the things he dedicated himself to early on was utilizing technology to get the gospel to as many people as possible, a thing that hadn't really been possible on such a scale before. If you include TV and radio, apparently the number of people he preached to in total was over 2 billion...more than a quarter of the population of the entire planet. Although actual live, physical audiences totaled about 215 million which is pretty damn crazy in itself. (The biggest was an event in South Korea with 3 million attending.)

He preached in 185 countries and of course there's the thing all the news stories kept repeating about how he prayed with every US president from Truman to Trump. (Hillary too if you consider her to have been the actual winner of the election since he'd had a pretty strong relationship with the Clintons back in the day and her in particular during the Lewinsky scandal, and of course they'd attended a few of his live events well before Bill was elected.) Queen Elizabeth and Winston Churchill also hung out with him a bit along with many others and I think he was made a knight.

More than 3 million people and counting (that they're aware of) were convinced to try out that whole Jesus thing as a result of his efforts, so I'm pretty sure that puts him on some kind of high score list as far as evangelicals go, and I guess that would be the most important thing to him. The rest is just interesting in the 'holy shit this guy really got around' kind of way.

Whatever anybody's personal beliefs are about the man there's no denying he had an incredibly eventful and influential life. It's this kind of shared cultural touchstone with people I've talked to in the last couple of days, talking about how they grew up listening to him on the radio. Although I'm thinking there may also a touch of the old 'American Dream' ideals touching people there too which may account for some of it, since this was a guy who grew up during the Depression and as a kid woke up at 2:30am to shovel cow shit on a farm.

>I thought he had already passed away.

It's kind of funny because after I went walking with my neighbor yesterday we ended up talking to the pest control guy at her house and he swore he'd thought Graham had died awhile back too. That makes multiple people including myself, so I think I'm chalking this up as one along with the spelling of the Berenstain Bears as one of those 'proof of parallel universes' things. I guess he has just been out of the public eye awhile due to his health though. The last time I can remember actually seeing anything about him in the news was that time Obama made a trip to his house to pray with him, which mostly stuck in my mind because skinny ass mountain roads legit terrifying me and I remember wondering if the driver was sweating bullets attempting ferry the POTUS up and down one in a fucking limo.

Anyway, Billy Graham did a lot of great stuff he'll be remembered for for a long time to come, although he did some not so great things too of course; it turns out that human beings, especially ones who live an entire freaking century, do both good and bad things and things that are in between. The Nixon/anti-Semite scandal is the biggest and most obvious negative thing of course, but he's also been supportive of the Jewish people and Israel even when it put him at odds with his peers and helped raise awareness of their persecution in other countries, so there's actions there that made a difference, regardless of beliefs. Of course apologized in public and in private to Jewish leaders when the whole thing came out, but however his actual beliefs changed in the 45 years since is one of those things I guess only God would know.

Regardless of his past bout of shitty behavior (although good on him either way for managing to at least not fall into any of the sex and financial scandals that are the downfall of so many of these people. PSA for all other public figures: it turns out the key there is 'maintain transparency and don't put yourself in situations where you can do stupid things in the first place' hth) I believe he was genuinely sincere in his desire to give people hope and inspiration and spread the word of God, and he did that faithfully for the better part of a century and has undoubtedly done more good in the world than myself or anyone I know will ever manage even a fraction of.

I especially appreciate now how he was able to bring people with all sorts of different beliefs and backgrounds and political affiliations together to find common ground, considering how divisive and hateful the schisms in politics and among religions have grown in recent years. Plenty of people disliked him too of course, and probably as many conservatives as liberals (back in the day he actually managed to get himself labeled the Anti-Christ for a little while there and has gotten an incredible amount of shit from the religious right for being too secular and inclusivist). He'll be lying 'in honor' at the Capitol rotunda, one of only four private citizens ever (last one being Rosa Parks in 2005) and it's going to be kind of a bizarre mix of people who otherwise probably hate each other coming together to pay their respects there.

His son unfortunately is turning out to be not quite such a peace-maker and a bit of a dick so I don't think that legacy will be continuing. (Although Samaritan's Purse is still an organization that provides lifesaving aid to a whole lot of people in a whole lot of third world shitholes...and aren't above lending a hand to first world shitholes too apparently since they sent teams from Oklahoma to my town to help people get their houses livable again after Harvey came through. Their scores on Charity Navigator are squeaky clean so not liking the guy in charge doesn't negate the good they do.)

Charity Navigator is an incredibly useful site by the way and I'd really recommend giving it a browse before ever giving to anything, with so many organizations out there it helps to know who you can trust and see the break down of what they're all actually doing with the money.

Anyway, everything else aside, I always find it pretty sad when people that age range pass on. Not for their sakes since I'm sure they're pretty happy to go at that point but, it does mean a lot of things lost. It has been a pretty crazy and tumultuous century of wars and massive cultural and economic shifts and there are an ever decreasing number of people who can give first hand accounts of what it was like living through it all. If any of you have grandparents, great parents etc anywhere in the 'old as fuck' age range you really should make an effort to talk to them while they're still around.

Anyway, yeesh, this was kind of a long post and I'm already sleep deprived and staring at a screen too long as it is.

tl;dr:

Billy Graham was a humble servant who prayed for so many - and who, with wisdom and grace, gave hope and guidance to generations of Americans. - Barack Obama

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Fuck me, this is a long as shit post. Seems more suited to like Sent or me than Miz. Anyhow, all it really says is that he was effective at what he did which, yeah, he was. Of course, the idea that he did a lot of great shit is fucking laughable. I mean, there's frequent mention that he did such good in his life, but at the very best, he spread Christianity, which I think is a stupid thing, but is so far from being this great, grand gesture that it's ridiculous.

Apparently, it's being held up that him being a liar and a hypocrite, praising Jews in public while secretly being opposed to them is some sort of good thing, because apparently him pretending to like Jews while hating them once means he definitely didn't just pretend to start liking them when he was found out.

In regards to him being sincere, that's an interesting question, because the man was a multimillionaire who made his fortune preaching the Word of God, which includes "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." That alone should raise some serious questions about his sincerity. This is joined by the fact he advocated military action in Vietnam, which sure as hell goes against the pacifistic Christian ideology. We're either to think he was lying, or that he was willfully ignorant of the word he preached, focusing. Either way, it spits in the face of the man's life goal of spreading an ideology he didn't follow, ignorant or not. 

There's also some talk about how he brought people together, which is also absurd. He demonized gays for their homosexuality, which Mizal can sure push aside with indifference because it doesn't concern her in the slightest, but that's a serious fucking slight against the man. 

Of course, fuck the gays, they're not a big enough part of the population, so let's consider how he turned people against each other in the Cold War, advocating increasing militarism in the Vietnam War. He advocated brutal military strikes to hit the Vietnamese economy that would've caused vast numbers of civilians to die. So when a man advocates potentially starting WWIII, hating Jews and Gays in his country and furthering the divides of the Cold War, it shows a pretty ignorant, insular worldview to think he was this great guy who ended divide because your work mates and friends also all liked him.

So yeah, an antisemtic, sexist, homophobic, hypocritical, war-mongering scumbag who spread a washed down ideology he didn't follow. But don't worry, he was a good orator and left people with a funny feeling in their cockles, so he's the kind of person who can be praised despite his shittiness, because it doesn't particularly effect you.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Pacifism is not a fundamental doctrine of Christianity.

As for "eye of a needle."

"And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

Matthew 19:24-26

King James Version

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

No, it is. I mean, Old Testament's fairly "KILL EVERYTHING!", but the New Testament had Jesus set down some really, really pacifistic ideas. Here, I've a quote:

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

I mean, not only does that say "Don't fight back", it literally says "Fuck the old law, don't fight".

In regard to the quote, you've made it bigger so it expands into a whole "God's great, guys" bit, but what's your point? The message is clear. What you've added changes nothing, but instead, just leads onto the last bit, which again, is anti-wealth:

"Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us? Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife[e] or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first."

So yeah, then it continues as Jesus praises leaving material wealth behind to follow Jesus. And... well, and you family, but fuck it, the point being, wealth is bad, abandon it, follow Jesus."

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago

Since this got bumped, I’m taking this opportunity.

So if Billy Graham is just rotting in the ground then I guess…

*sunglasses*

Heaven really is a place on Earth.

Heaven got another angel

6 years ago
The day you learned to embed YouTube videos was a fateful one for all of Cystia.