Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Thirty Years of Final Fantasy

6 years ago

With Square Enix already starting the celebration for Final Fantasy’s 30th anniversary, I thought I’d invite everyone to share your thoughts on the series.  Would you consider it one of your favorite video game series, merely an okay one, or one that frankly doesn't impress you much?  Do you have a favorite character, monster, location, etc?

I would say that Final Fantasy 6 is my personal favorite of all the games.  It was originally released in the USA for the SNES as Final Fantasy 3, just to make matters confusing.  I felt you gathered together an interesting collection of characters with a variety of different talents; figuring out which characters to swap in and out of your party and using them properly made for a good challenge.  And I enjoyed the story.  But, what’s your favorite in the series?

6 years ago
Describing the plot of any given Final Fantasy game would be a fun exercise in itself. For most of those 30 years 'best' is really a matter of gameplay or other factors, most of the actual stories are a convoluted incoherent mess.

To this day still do not understand the worship of FFVII aside from the fact I guess a lot of people played it at an impressionable age while being wowed by the graphics.

6 years ago

When it first came out, the graphics of 7 really blew everyone away.  The game was used to lure people to buy a PlayStation.  But, with the passage of time the graphics don't impress so much, which makes me wonder if 7 has nearly as many diehard fans as it once did.