Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Venting/Frustrating Teachers

5 years ago
The professor of my Intro to Special Education Class is probably the most frustrating person I have ever had to deal with. She talks to us as though we're about five years old and brags constantly about accomplishments that might have been slightly impressive if she didn't drone on about them. She told us today about an article that she just got published in a journal. Awesome! Great for her! Except this was her phrasing...

"Last month I wrote an article that got published in a journal. I spent ten weeks on this, writing for two hours every single day! It was between 6 and 10 THOUSAND words! That was what was required by the journal. My article was six thousand words!" *pauses for a second to look around at each of our faces* "Isn't that amazing!?! So many words!"

Seriously, she used those exact words... with a class full of twenty year olds. She then spent the next twenty minutes explaining to us in excruciating detail what a "summary" is. I wish I was kidding. There are only so many ways you can say "sum this article up in fewer words" and I'm fairly certain she covered all of them. We even have a workbook with "guided notes" (basically fill in the blank worksheets about whatever she writes on the board) and she had us highlight and put stars next really obvious things that are already repeated five times in our notes anyway. Things like "first person language includes words like 'I', 'me', and 'my.' She tells us something and then asks us two seconds later "IS THIS RIGHT?", then pauses and waits for everyone to say yes. If we don't she just repeats herself. I've got like seven more frustrating quotes from this class period alone, but I'm sure anyone who's reading this is sick of it by now.

Okay, mini-rant over. TLDR- my teacher sucks and I probably won't learn anything. Anyone else have frustrating professor stories?

5 years ago
I only went to about 1 and half years of college before I dropped out, but I have a few stories.

The algerbra teacher I got when I first started college had one of the most boring voices I have ever heard. Completely monotone and emotionless. Now that I think about it, she may have been a robot.
Anyway, I'm severely dyslexic so at the beginning of the semester I had a bunch of papers to turn into each of my professors to tell them that I had issues and how they were required to accommodate me. I handed in the papers to this woman and didn't think anything about it. Dyslexia isn't the worst learning disability to have and all she was required to do was give me extra time on tests and give me half credit if I got my math correct on my scratch paper but transposed it incorrectly on the answer sheets.

She read over the paper, then looked me in the eye and said, "This isn't a real thing. I'm not doing any of this. You should just try harder."

Being a fresh out of high school teen I just wilted and did nothing about it. The entire semester she refused to help me with anything I had trouble with and I bombed her tests because she wouldn't give me the extra time I needed to quadruple check my work or the half credit when I got the work right but wrote the answer down wrong.

My sister was actually in a different university studying to be an accountant and she basically gave me math boot camp for a week straight for my final exam in the hopes I could get a high enough score to salvage the class credit. The teacher never gave anyone their tests back and refused to show me how I got a 47% on the exam. Looking back now I realize that was actually a big no no on her part, but again I was a dumb teen and didn't fight it.

On a lighter note I had a teacher when I was in culinary school that taught the baking class. He had this giggling laugh that sounded just like the pillsbury dough boy. He was a fantastic teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed his class, but that laugh... Oh my gosh it was so hard to focus on anything because he got a big kick out of the texture of dough. So every he walked by to make sure what we were doing was correct he would poke the dough then giggle if it was correct and walk away without saying a word.

5 years ago

l graduated college in 1997 (that really dates me...) so I'm drawing a blank on frustrating professors. I do however recall a training class for a  call center temp job I went through a few years ago. The teacher was like a total computer expert and he kept going though all the one billion computer apps we were supposed to use and said things like "for this you go here and for this you go there" (not in those exact words, mind you). Anyway, most of the training class was lost. I kept stopping him to get him to go over what he'd just explained and he'd get annoyed with me and try to explain it again. Anyway, I managed to do pretty well on the first week's test.

Then the second week's test came along. He told us we'd have to hit some damned function on the computer or it wouldn't save our results...you know where this is going. I'd get halfway through the fucking test and it would erase all my answers and I'd have to start over again! Next day, they decided to get rid of me, so the teacher took me into an empty classroom and said they'd have to let me go. He also pointed out how I was so bad that I'd hold up the class by asking him to reiterate what he'd just said! Guess his wise-beyond-his-years attitude wasn't that he was a lousy teacher, but that I was a subpar student. 

Now I do have learning disabilities, but then I also made it though college, so I am capable of learning the material. But call centers have the attitude that you either get it or THERE'S THE DOOR! I've actually lost quite a few call center jobs because of my learning disabilities...combined with subpar instructors!

5 years ago
Schools' gotta make mental disability quotas somehow. She was probably in special ed until recently.

My materials engineering professor would spend the entire 75 minutes repeating the same paragraph over and over while switching slides. Not like we could understand her through the super thick accent + bad english but after hearing "So we see on dis cuhrvve the ceramic are a much of brittler thahn de, de steel we have seen in de be-for sliedz. *switches 5 slides back to look at stock photo of steel then 6 slides forward to look at curves*."

Not every day but most days were similar in that class. Show slide -> show graph -> say the same thing 8 or 9 times -> go back to first slide -> show next graph

At least I learned stuff so I got that going for me which is nice.

5 years ago

Is... is special ed not just for retards? Genuinely, I'm confused. Are you in the retard class? Your teacher talks to you like you're retards, and the class is called the retard class, so...

5 years ago
It's a class on teaching Special Ed, not a Special Ed class itself (in your terms it's not FOR retards, it's ABOUT retards. ) I'm studying to be a teacher and it's a required course.

5 years ago

Why do you have to take it? You already have experience dressing and feeding someone 

5 years ago

Okay, that one was out of the park. Lol.

5 years ago
Agreed, things are so much better when we all stop fighting and just make fun of Leora and Ford.

5 years ago

The jokes just never seem to get old, they’re classics. 

5 years ago
Teasing me is already classic? Score! I've only been here for like 6 months!

5 years ago
Aww but it's so much fun to watch y'all fight.

5 years ago
Hahaha nice one :)

Sadly the people in charge of my transcripts don't know Ford, so no free pass for me.

5 years ago
fuck milk came out my nose.

5 years ago
Well it's definitely taught by a retard. Send her a link to the site and let her try going on about how AMAZING it is she wrote between six and ten thousand words here.

5 years ago
I know, right? And it took her ten weeks... I was honestly trying really hard not to laugh.

5 years ago

Well now that making fun of Leora is out of the way, might as well add a minor story.

About the only frustrating professor had in college was a teaching assistant in my statistical psychology class mainly because the fucker kept telling bad jokes and thought he was hilarious. He was more just annoying than actually frustrating.

When it was time for the evaluation thing you have to fill out at the end of the class, I wrote that the guy sucked a lot and should be publicly castrated for wasting time by telling his shitty jokes in class and generally being an unfunny faggot.

Other than than him, rest of the college professors/teaching assistants were fine.

5 years ago
Your evaluation would be considered extremely problematic today.

I hope Leora learns from this though and has some good insults prepared for hers.

5 years ago

In my criminal class, my professor started going into an aside about how evil and dehumanizing rape jokes were. I found it kind of refreshing she focused on how men were usually much more likely to be victims, and it was kinda nice... until she started putting up pictures of rape jokes.

The first one was a girl tied up, with the caption "Don't struggle, let's not turn this rape into a murder". Now, that way hilarious, but I only snickered. However, the next joke referenced the amazing Irish crime show Love/Hate. One of the characters gets raped with a pool cue, and the picture was him, with the caption "Fancy a game of pool? I do in my hole". At this point, I broke into laughter, and had to get glared at my the professor before I stopped.

Fucking hilarious, though.