Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

Who all here thinks the ratings system for storygames is a bit disheartening? I keep checking the ratings of my storygame and worry whenever the score goes down. I think my priorities have gotten out of whack. The point of this site is about being creative and getting your stuff out there. I'm pretty sure my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder has encouraged me to dwell on something rather inconsequential. Or is it? If your ratings go down too much, does your storygame get pulled from the site?

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

Generally if your rating goes below 2.5 it gets unpublished. Your story is pretty safe.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

Thanks. That takes load off. 

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
You get used to it.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

I hope so. 

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
Your story is rated 6.02. That's really good. You're one of the great writers of the site. It's totally understandable that you'd be worried or self-conscious of this, but I think you're overthinking this. You have a lot of skill.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
True, a 6 is a very good rating. You're a competent writer and you've got nothing to worry about.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
Go into a category and sort some stories by ratings. Read a few at the bottom of the list feel better. @wouldntitbenice has a problem similar to yours, although his(?) stories are pretty bad even accounting for being written a 12 year old weeb so maybe it's not quite the same. Perhaps he'll find some support in this thread.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
I ain't twelve nor am I ever worried about storygames getting unpublished. Not all of my storygames are bad though, just most of 'em. I just track ratings obsessivly. Some storygames go up over time (like my story The Duet) others go down (yours apparently?) while some just fluctuate (my story Darius).
Also, yeah... your story is a lot better than most of the crap, including mine, here. Don't worry about it.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
And interestingly enough, from what I've seen, ratings just tend to decrease over time. I can't explain it, just that not just with my own stories, but others I've watched -- they get a rating in the first few months, but after that they seem to only stay the same or decrease over time. I don't think I've seen one really go up...

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
Most likely people see a 6.whatever and are inclined to just go with the flow and rate it a 6, because they have no will or thoughts of their own.

That's why I still think the first few ratings now showing up is so important, although suggesting that may have been indirectly responsible for the category lock out bug getting added, whoops.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

Eternal occasionally goes up to 7.32 and then back to 7.31 again.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
Really the faster you learn ratings don't matter because most readers are idiots, the better. Whether they liked it or not, I only pay attention to people who convincingly explain WHY they left a rating. Even when dealing with non-idiots, everyone uses a different system to decide on the number to stick it with.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

Good point.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
I don't put much stock in ratings to be honest. On mine most of them are 8s, but two 3s from people with higher power around here brings it WAY down. (Mine's not that great and I wrote it in 22 hours though, so I don't really mind.) But one person's opinion can carry a ton of weight in the rating system. That's why I think comments are a lot more beneficial than keeping an eye on ratings. Not only do they tell you what you can improve on, but they give a more accurate sense of the general opinion than ratings do. Storygames only get pulled if they're below a 3, so you should be fine on that front.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
did you fix your several pages of broken italics and bold tags yet btw?

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
Dammit I thought I caught all of those. I'll have to check.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

I just checked my game and my ratings have disappeared! What the Hell?

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago

Okay, they reappeared. I'm not sure what's going on.

My OCD and Ratings

5 years ago
you got a problem man lol