Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Is There A Way To Unlist / Privatize Stories?

5 years ago

I decided to write a game script for -- well, a game I am working on, and wanted to do so VIA a CYOA. My only problem is, I can't find a way to privatize it so that only people I link to it can read it. I realize you can do Co-Authors but it is way too much of a hassle. So I was wondering if there is a way to do this without Co-Authoring. If anyone new were to join the project they'd have to go through the same process which I am not a fan of.

So if there is a way to solve this, please let me know,

thanks.

5 years ago
The story is in Sneak Peek when you create it. Just leave it in Sneak Peak and pass the URL to whoever.

5 years ago

Oh, really? Aight, I'll try it.

5 years ago

Long Version

If you look at any storygame, you'll see the first part of the URL is http://chooseyourstory.com/story/ and this tells you that the link is for a storygame.

If a story is not on sneak preview, you have to be an author or coauthor to be able to access the link (where the link is http://chooseyourstory.com/story/[storyname]. Note that the story name, if it contains special characters, will have to be parsed. i.e. Your story is called 'RavenFall - Demo', but the parsed variant (which is the part at the end of the link) is 'RavenFall%20~2d%20Demo'.

If a story IS on sneak preview, then anyone can access the link, and the storygame will be listed under 'Storygames' on the author's profiles, but will not be hyperlinked (as this is reserved for published storygames).

However, the link, in this case http://chooseyourstory.com/story/RaveFall%20~2d%20Demo, is still accessible by anyone, but slightly annoying if the hyperlink isn't provided (as you've got to change it yourself). Luckily this is still relatively easy, for spaces are automatically changed, and other special symbols can be found easily enough by looking for a published storygame with the desired character in its title, or if this fails, making a storygame yourself with the desired symbol.

Note that the CYS extension provides links to the storygame eliminating this hassle (as far as I'm aware).

So, assuming I interpreted this part correctly: 'My only problem is, I can't find a way to privatize it so that only people I link to it can read it', then you are out of luck as what you are looking for doesn't exist. The story is either on sneak preview (available access to all) or not (only available to authors). Further, I think there was a limit of five for coauthors.

Anyway, I guess if there was a way to hide the sneak preview story from the profile page you could get what you want, in that the link is the only way to get to the story, and that there is no way to get the link (as there is no story name anywhere for people to figure it out).

I will mention that people generally won't bother with sneak preview stories if they don't know the author or if the author isn't asking people to look at it, so I imagine this still works as a solution, but I did want to make sure you knew it is easy to access sneak preview stories even if an author doesn't give you a direct link.

Short Version

If a story is on sneak preview, it is easy enough to access without the link being provided by the author, so it may not be as private as you are looking for (assuming I understood this properly: 'I can't find a way to privatize it so that only people I link to it can read it', as it won't ONLY be people who you link that can read it, but anyone who can write up the link).

Game Script

You didn't get too specific about what precisely you mean, but the phrasing made me worried that you'll be trying to make a game game as opposed to a storygame, and I wanted to warn you that tools for storygames are not a game engine.

While you can make certain styles of games, or more game focused storygames, making works which almost look like proper games is something that, while possible, is extremely tedious, and the amount of effort that'd go into working around the limitations would probably be a bit pointless, considering there are better tools out there for game creation.

Granted, I'm no expert, so it might not be as difficult as I'm envisioning, but a warning, just in case, won't hurt anyone.

Conclusion

Best of luck with your project.

5 years ago

I am using it as the script for better navigation. I wish I could make a password or something in the game.

Thanks for the response, I guess I will take what I can get. Not sure too many people would be that interested in writing up the link for that.

5 years ago
If it helps, I followed instructions on how to make a custom name in a game. You could do that, and have the password be the only link that continues to the beginning of your story. I can copy paste the code to you but the tedious part is making all the links on each page for each letter.

5 years ago
I genuinely think I'm the only person in the site that ever bothers to click through random profiles, and for that matter, nothing you can do could keep me from reading the story if I actually wanted to.

5 years ago

Translation: “When I come for you, don’t fight, just let it happen.”

5 years ago

Can you look at another admin’s writing?

5 years ago
Yes.

The stories End has about your mom are really something.

5 years ago

Yeah, I guess a story about my mom would be appropriate for End to write. After all, he already has a couple of stories that involve necromancy.

5 years ago

Um at least end can write a good story but you just disappoint people. At least that what your parents say.

5 years ago
I don't think you read his post very closely lol.

Although that's pretty in line with what I've observed of your habits so far.

5 years ago

Well I guess you beat me; I had to let my dogs outside in the middle of writing this.

5 years ago

Now that I read it a second time, I can see that maybe it wasn’t meant as an insult on EndMaster but it’s still fun to see how pissed off this kid can get.

5 years ago

If I’m a disappointment, then what does that make you? You’re on a writing site, and yet I don’t think that I’ve ever seen you use a comma correctly. Read your first sentence to yourself, bud, then reread my post. If you look closely, which I know must be a little hard for you, you might just see that I said nothing even close to an insult, and unlike you, I’ve shown my respect to my superior by at least considering him as a noun.

5 years ago

So original the “what does that make you” comeback gotta say not surprised I mean you haven’t even started writing a story is it because you lack original ideas or maybe your just to stupid to come up with anything original. I am willing to admit I read your comment about End wrong I thought it was an insult and I just love start verbal fights with people. Still come up with some original insult. Also I do know I need some originality too, I’m not that big of a hypocrite. 

5 years ago

I’ve started a story, it’s just not in sneak preview.  Also, I’m not a big enough blockhead to lose my temper to an online moron, I just take pleasure in putting illiterates in their rightful place.