Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Dolly's Braces in Moonraker

5 years ago

2019 marks the 40th anniversary of the James Bond movie Moonraker. My parents took me and my siblings to see this movie in the theater in 1979. The funniest scene was when Richard Kiel's character Jaws was helped out of a wrecked sky-car by a pig-tailed, bespectacled woman named Dolly. He smiles at her, revealing his metal teeth, and she smiles back and has braces. I recall seeing this in 1979 and the audience laughing at it. Now, apparently, cute little Dolly doesn't have braces in the scene. No, I do not believe in the Mandela Effect (that our universe is being impinged upon by alternate universes and reality is going wonky), but dammit she HAD braces. We are not characters from a Philip K. Dick novel, so there has to be a mundane explanation (other than false memory). I think the film company altered the scene for fear of offending people with braces. For the movie Jaws: the Revenge, Mario Van Peebles' character was killed at the end, but the studio changed that ending so he'd live when the movie was STILL in the theaters. Here's how the scene SHOULD look. 

5 years ago

Yeah, I’ve noticed movies have been doing this more and more because they don’t wanna “offend people” but I mean, if someone has braces they have braces, what’s the big deal?

5 years ago

I think the film company would deny she had braces in the first place. But a lot of people who saw the movie back then remember.

5 years ago

Alright, but you understand that there;s loads of other examples of this taking place and just being bad memories. So, you know, why isn't that the case here?

5 years ago

I remember the audience laughing when she showed her braces. Other people have commented on this too. This is my Bigfoot, my UFO, my Loch Ness Monster, Ghost, Mothman, Jersey Devil, ect. I know what I saw...but I just can't prove it.

5 years ago

Could’ve just been false memory, I mean you said this happened 40 freaking years ago, definitely could just be remembering things wrong.

5 years ago

Then a lot of people are remembering it wrong. This is very 1984.

5 years ago

Guess we’ll never know then.

5 years ago

I think I have to agree with the first comment on that video, I don't remember Dolly's tits being that big. I thought she had a smaller frame in general.

5 years ago

Thank you Endmaster, very cool!

5 years ago

No, I can't complain about her rack. And the woman who played her is French. 

5 years ago

I saw enough people remembering that in the comments, and you also recall the audience laughing, so I think it's fair to say it was altered by the company.

I can't really contribute to this since I'm pretty sure I've never seen Moonraker, but I do remember Jaws since he haunted my nightmares for a while when I was little. I think I was watching The Spy Who Loved Me with my parents on tv but I was too young to actually follow the plot, so my mind just fixated itself on the character of Jaws and found him horrific enough, lol. There's also a scene of a boy being dragged inside an ant nest by a swarm of ants in the desert that I still remember from that period of my life, but I can't find out which movie it was from.

5 years ago

Jaws was pretty creepy. Richard Kiel, the actor who played him, was always down-to-earth and charming in interviews, though.