Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Pit of Shame

5 years ago

So I've seen this referenced throughout the site and I've started to wonder, what is the "Pit of Shame" and what can get you thrown in?

Pit of Shame

5 years ago

The PIT OF SHAME is a place where you do not want to end up. It is cramp, dark, smelly, and generally horrible, and you CANNOT LEAVE until you basically atone for what got you thrown in there in the first place, which means you might be stuck there for a while, if not till the heat death of the universe. Regardless, escape is possible, but the pit has layers, almost like hell, so try not to get shamed too many times while within it, lest your very soul end up purged. The catch is that to attempt to atone, you have to do something which will end with you shamed again if you fail, so hopefully you can muster up the power to push through and escape should you ever find yourself in that wretched place.

Err, to get shamed, enter a contest and fail to submit an entry. Basically be too lazy to put together something that meets minimum site requirements for a storygame, which honestly ain't too hard to do, as we aren't talking about a good story, just one that isn't utter garbage. Keep in mind it actually needs to not get disqualified from the contest, so keep it relevant to whatever the goals of said contest are.

Anyway, if you get shamed three times without getting unshamed (which is done by submitting an entry to a contest) your account gets banned. I think that was how this part worked. This rarely happens tho, since again, avoiding shame, especially when your account is on the line, is easy enough (also you are only ever eligible to getting shamed if you put yourself in the position in the first place, you practically have to try and get banned for something like that to happen).

Shaming can also be incurred due to special circumstances, something like betting that if you don't win the contest, you should get shamed. These are obviously brought upon yourself, so not worth worrying about. Similar thing with betting your account, but that has dropped off as such bets were more so only allowed for one contest where it made thematic sense to be legal.

Anyway, rules are always subject to change, and admins are the higher authority, but hopefully I got these parts right.

P.S. On the People's Democratic Republic of CYStia discord server, shaming exists but functions slightly differently, in that you can get shamed for pretty much anything (usually saying something extra stupid in some way) and if the SHAMING wasn't done as a joke, to get out of it you'll need to fulfill a request that will generally be one of two things:

1. Write a short story/written piece on some given theme/idea/something and post it here (on CYS).
  2. If you are eligible, you can draw a drawing instead.

I'm pretty sure only one person is eligible for number two, but I could be wrong, as my understanding of the shaming system there is less concrete than of the one here. At any rate, shaming on the discord server is generally weaker/lighter of tone, but it does restrict what channels you can talk in (I believe), so getting out tends to be a priority.

Pit of Shame

5 years ago

Ok thank you, I guess I don't even have to worry about the discord part since my phone can't even get discord. smiley

Pit of Shame

5 years ago

If you are twice shamed, and manage to submit an acceptable story for a contest, are you allowed to leave, or do you just go up a level?

Pit of Shame

5 years ago

You're completely free.

Pit of Shame

5 years ago
Unless it's too funny not to do otherwise.

Pit of Shame

5 years ago

Link to the current pit of shame.