Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Weekly Review - Edition 40

5 years ago
The Weekly Review – Edition 40

FEATURING

What’s New
Recommended Reads: elfred’s Arakhan’s Vengeance
Who’s Who: Alexp, Chocobot, March5th00, Madglee and EndMaster
The Riddle Corner
Credits

WHAT’S NEW

In Story Games AlexSchedel publishes his entertaining story YeeHaw!
In Newbie Central the site welcomes Cupcakitty_13, eeythatsprettygood, Lupyne and lionothunder66 while Fang joins and almost immediately manages to get banned.
In the Lounge EndMaster’s fantastic End Times enters its fourth edition!
In the Parlor Room the fan club of EndMaster’s story Eternal get their own Discord space!
In the Creative Corner Corgi213’s unofficial writing contest Lords of the Land enters its final month!
In the Writing Workshop Ozoni shares a new short story!
In the Reading Corner Mizal shares a great deal on Warhammer books!
In the Advanced Editor Forum Khaleesi takes time off from the conquest of Westeros to pose a question about Link Restrictions!

RECOMMENDED READS

elfred’s Arakhan’s Vengeance
A Fantasy Adventure Story with a Maturity of 7, a Play Length of 8, a Story Difficulty of 8 and a Player Rating of 7.31.

This game follows the adventures of the occasionally hapless Captain of the Guard Arakhan, protector of the peaceful village of Lyestra who’s casual absence from the village leads to a general massacre of its people at the hands of vicious goblins. Learning of the fact Arakhan swears vengeance and thus we find ourselves at the beginning of the story…

This particular story-game is vastly entertaining, told in a classical fantasy setting in a lively way with colorful characters, dastardly villains and with a few very funny moments. Highlights of the story include clever card tricks in the local tavern and a crash course in the finer points of fencing this is a story I would recommend to anyone who enjoys fantasy and has a spare fifteen minutes in which to be entertained.

WHO’S WHO

This is a new idea I am trying, a sort of Who’s Who of site members that will grow by five entries or so a week and when it gets to 100 or so I’ll stick them altogether and publish them as a site resource (or that’s the plan anyway):

1: Name: Alexp
Last Active: 2018
Top Story Games: The Proposal (Romance)
Notable For: Alexp was and os the principal founder and creator of this writing website, back in 2001, the majority of all site content originated with him and he continues to maintain the site financially, if not personally. As you would expect he has infinite points, just about every trophy ever made and wrote the wonderful romance story The Proposal about his real-life marriage proposal to his partner. He is the main reason we have this wonderful site.

2: Name: Chocobot
Last Active: 2013
Top Story Games: Various
Notable For: Designing the artwork and imagery of this website as the second of Alexp’s co-founders he is responsible for the unique character and feel of the site which makes it a very special part of the internet. Of course, he has infinite points, a large number of trophies and, though he hasn’t been active for a very long time, he has also left us with four very entertaining story games to read.

3: Name: March5th00
Last Active: 2018
Top Story Games: Finals Week! (School)
Notable For: Playing a creative and technical role in the creation of the site March was the third founder of the site and helped AlexP and Chocobot put all their ideas together. Like the others he has infinite points, a host of trophies and wrote three extremely readable story games, one of which remains one of the longest-featured story games on the site. Like the other founders he is only occasionally active on the site.

4: Name: Madglee
Last Active: 2019
Top Story Games: Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight? (Modern Adventure)
Notable For: Madglee is the oldest still-active site member, he has been an Administrator for the site for more than a decade and remains an active trophy holder. As well as his constant work to improve the site he wrote Mommy, still one of the best written and most popular stories in the Modern Adventure category. He also enjoys infinite points and an array of trophies.

5: Name: EndMaster
Last Active: 2019
Top Story Games: Eternal, Geek, Ground Zero, Necromancer, Repression, Rogues, Suzy’s Strange Saga and more
Notable For: EndMaster is the most talented overall writer on the site, dominating his preferred genres, and is the oldest very active site member, still crushing newbs and maintaining the quality of the site on a daily basis. So admired he even has his own fan club End is an Administrator with infinite points, an array of trophies and can claim authorship of many of the site’s best stories, including possibly the site’s best story-game Eternal.

RIDDLE CORNER

As this section seems popular I’ve expanded it from three to five riddles and specifically looked for some difficult or tricky ones. Enjoy!

Last Week’s Answers:
1: The more you take the more you leave behind. What are they?
Answer: Footprints
2: I fly without wings, I cry without eyes. What am I?
Answer: Clouds
3: What is easy to get into but hard to get out of?
Answer: Trouble

This Week’s Riddles:
1: Everyone has it but those who have it the least don’t know that they have it. Those that have it the most wish they had less of it and often try to make it look like they have less. What is it?
2: I have hundreds of legs but can only lean. You make me feel dirty so you can feel clean. What am I?
3: What room can no one enter?
4: I am the only organ that gave myself my own name. What am I?
5: What rock group features four men who never sing?

CREDITS
What’s New: AlexSchedel, Cupcakitty_13, eeythatsprettygood, Lupyne, lionothunder66, EndMaster, Corgi213, Ozoni, Mizal, Khaleesi
Recommended Reads: Elfred
Who’s Who: Alexp, Chocobot, March5th00, Madglee, EndMaster

All of you for taking the time to read this Review, even after 40 editions :)

5 years ago
This got missed in all the flotsam.

5 years ago
Oh wow I did miss this one. I'd been wondering a couple of days ago if he was going to update this week too. Well, unusually busy week for the Lounge actually, I still have to remind myself I should click past the index and look around sometimes because yep, it's spring now and all our bouts of activity here have always been weird and backwards.

5 years ago

Congratulations on forty editions.  

The Who's Who is an interesting idea.  EndMaster deserves at least his own autobiography, but what can you do?  

Now, as for the thread summaries, I would recommend paying more attention to the background event, context, and all that if you consider something worth including in this fine publication.  

5 years ago

Yey! Riddle time!!!

1. Ignorance?

2. A shower head?

3. Uhh... Headroom? Elbowroom?

4. Brain?

5. Evanescence... The woman does all the singing! (Though somehow I doubt that's the answer.) cheeky

5 years ago
"In the Parlor Room the fan club of EndMaster’s story Eternal get their own Discord space!" Huh. Seems Will knows something I don't.
But oh well, I'll let others rant about all the things this newspaper did wrong. I'm just here for the riddles! :)
1. Um ... I don't know. The first idea I got was age, but that doesn't quite work.
2. Maybe a brush?
3. A broom! Get it? Because it has the word room in it! I so smart! Or maybe groom or ... oh, it's mushroom, isn't it? But small animals could eat holes in mushrooms and enter them. Hmm.
4. A brain.
5. Don't know enough rock groups to answer that one. But I imagine there must be quite a few rock groups that just play instrumental music.
Yes, I do indeed suck at riddles.

5 years ago
They were given a link to a server, let's just say.

5 years ago

Mushroom! Dammit, I should've gotten that >.<

5 years ago

I am going to guess that the answer to the rock group riddle is a quarry full of mutes.  

5 years ago

I was thinking the "rock group" might be something like sedimentary, metamorphic, or igneous... But can't figure out who the four guys are.

5 years ago

Foremen.

5 years ago

Ahh! ^_^

5 years ago

2.) A broom

Got nothin on the rest or else I'm pretty sure they've already been guessed.

5 years ago
Ah and there was me not bothering to publish any more Reviews because no one commented on the 40th one :D
Actually I'll have a break from publishing them again, it's hard to find the time to write and publish even these very limited versions of the Review and it's depressing not being able to do the Review justice because of real life distractions such as work and love :D For those that guessed at the riddles the answers are:

1: Age
2: A broom
3: A mushroom
4: The Brain
5: Mount Rushmore

Maybe I'll bring the Review back in the summer when my workload lightens and I definitely want to work on the Who's Who idea a bit more... meanwhile if anyone wants to publish versions of the Review as long as they are sequential and in the same sort of style that would be fine :) Personally, I'd enjoy seeing more of the End Times :D

5 years ago

Lol! I like the fifth one ^_^

5 years ago
Mount Rushmore, what the hell. Everyone was way off base with that one lol. I'd have said they were 'always in a hurry but never going anywhere' or something to make it more of a sledgehammer clue.

Probably there's not enough excitement around here anymore to support a week to week newsletter about just the forum, you need a high population of retarded children running free to generate that kind of thing. The movie thread and the riddles in these generated more interest than anything else, and I think that's because they invited people to participate rather than read too many scary words all at once. (Even End's newsletter didn't get that many responses to the actual content, it was like 20 posts of Cricket doing general purpose fawning.)

5 years ago

Hello Wiiiiilllllll!! I'm going to try to keep up with the site again. 

Um, the only riddle thingy I can think of right now is for #5: Probs like Mount Rushmore, it's got them lizard folk up on it and all.

Oh! But #3 might be a mushroom, huh?