Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Visual Novel from chooseyourstory (AGAINNN)

3 years ago

Hi, It's me again.

We made a game based on http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-vampire-hunter story. (Author in credit)

This is the itch.io of game https://thunderliz.itch.io/the-vampire-hunter

And android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thunderliz.the_vampire_hunter

The first game, so we have a lot of mistakes, so please be nice and give us a comment.

Thank you and love you guys alot

3 years ago

Well, for having made this in the span of two weeks, I suppose it could've been worse.  Bear in mind that I don't play visual novels often, so I'm probably not the best person to judge.  I found it kinda short, but then, so was your source material, so I guess that makes sense.  And it was your first project, so I'm assuming it was more experimental and explorational than anything. 

Anyways, for a first project this was fine.   I hope you guys keep doing this and eventually get a the point where you're good enough to actually charge for one of these.  Maybe try to make something a little bigger next time, now that you've got this under your belt, just bear in mind that it's going to take a lot longer than a couple of weeks to make something of professional quality.

3 years ago
I have sincere doubts you got permission to do this when the author hasn't logged in for 10 years now.

EDIT: After playing for a few seconds it's clearly a blatant copy and paste of the story. Take it off the app store before we have to take legal action.

3 years ago
Ah yes, I was wondering how you made a game so quickly, and it sounds like the answer is simply theft. I hope that's not really the case or that there was just some misunderstanding. I can't understand why you guys would do this if you're trying to be taken seriously or expect any goodwill from the community. The fact you deliberately drew attention to this at least implies you're not aware that using other people's work without permission is uh, frowned upon, to say the least...but if you've never encountered that idea before then it would be good to look into it now because people take this kind of thing extremely seriously in any creative community. Your first thread got very little attention because you had no links or information to give and nothing to show. I'm sure there are active authors who would be happy to work with a team like yours based on even a simple example game like this. tbf, Ren'Py isn't that difficult to pick up and learn, but a VN format does have a lot of potential to bring in a new audience and most of us would not want to bother with the conversion process. But this is just not a good way to go about gaining anybody's trust. Particularly if there's any plans to monetize these.

3 years ago

3 years ago
When asked for comment, this bystander expressed strong disapproval of crime.

3 years ago

Oh.
Right after reading this comment, I contacted the author.

Does anyone know how to contact him directly if he is not online?

If he does not respond in 1 week, we will remove the game from store.

Btw, to avoid this legal situation, we decide to develop story ourself (luckily, after this post, an author contacted to me)

And, thank for being nice to us. (You are always nice)  We know we have a lot of defects, and we will correct it.

Thank you so much

3 years ago
I emailed him with the contact info I had, but it's obviously been awhile so I don't know whether he still uses that address.

I started looking back into Ren'Py after playing this, it's not a complicated program. The biggest issue I'd see is that we mostly do pretty text heavy games here so you'd need an author that could either write something new in the VN format, or else was knowledgeable enough about that style of game to carve up and convert something they already had to that style.

3 years ago

Didn't even include the Eldritch Horror ending. LAME!

3 years ago
That would've required the art for the player character to not be an attractive blonde woman.

3 years ago

Nevermind I found it but it was lamer than not having it because the transcription and imagery is garbage.

3 years ago
Well, it's been over a week, and you updated the game as of yesterday, but its still up.

@mizal did the author ever reply to you?

3 years ago
Nope. I doubt he's still using the same email. They said this was just a test thing and they already have another author interested in working with them, so there's no reason it needs to stay up anyhow. And they really do need to work directly with an actively involved writer...the quality of everything they didn't lift word for word is honestly pretty poor.

3 years ago

Sorry, but I set published country only to my countru for friend to play.

If you are still seeing it, it may an error.

I rechecked it, please tell me if you still see it available.

3 years ago
Yeah, the link above still works and i can see in the store if i do a search.

3 years ago

I am asking my tech guy about this.

Thank you for responding to me.

Btw, where do you live? (Your nationality)
Do you use a VPN or anything else? (We set its publication only to Vietnam)

3 years ago
Canada, and no.

3 years ago

Can you kindly clear the cache and check it again.

I tested with Canada, It's not available too.

3 years ago
Looks like its gone now. @mizal how about your country?