Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

IFComp 2020, actually pretty retarded

3 years ago
https://ifcomp.org/ The IFComp is on its 26th year and there are over a hundred entries this time. This is the big comp that gives all the scattered IF communities a glimpse at what others are up to, and so I hope you all can make a little time to browse around. There's plenty of CYOA style games in the mix along with parser IF and assorted hybrids and experimental stuff, and most can be played in a browser. I haven't really gone through them all yet, but I'll of course be pruning out anything overly artsy-faggy or political looking and I'll try to get a short list together for any that look particurly interesting. If you guys discover any gems be sure to post about them too. I know we make fun of the intfiction community sometimes ever since they became CoG-lite, but a whole lot of authors put a ton of effort into their games over the past year and there's a significant amount of cash in the prize pool, so voters are important. You only have to play five games off the list to put in some votes, and you're not even required to beat them.

IFComp 2020 games ready for voting!

3 years ago

Weird, what sort of CYOA-style game would do that? Sounds pretty shitty. A community definitely could not make that the norm and expect to have anyone take them seriously as a source of interactive fiction.

Great posts, I agree!!

3 years ago

Well at least some folks are making sense in that thread.

3 years ago
Trimmed out like 20 of the games already just by doing a Ctrl F for '15 minutes or less'. It's like come on folks, this is a serious competition, not a place for your artsy little sad twines about being gay and depressed. Look at this, what even is this? I feel like I wasted too much time even just reading the blurb. e: Oh, there's another by the same author. What an insufferable human being this must be. Or at least one that is very poor at attemptung to get players or win contests. "Your choices don't matter and also I'm going to lecture you on the environment...wait come back you weren't supposed to choose not to play my games!"

3 years ago
I can say with confidence that the first sentence of the equilibrium game is technically wrong.

3 years ago
I had some good screenshots I was going to share, but y'all are just lazy and don't deserve them.

3 years ago
^

3 years ago
The intfiction forums got trolled by some guy insisting that CYOA games shouldn't be allowed in the contest because they're "so easy to write" while making parser IF is hard. He knew this because as he pointed out, he never played CYOAs and just ignored them completely when judging.

After throwing that grenade in the room, he just sat the rest of the convo out while everyone spent nearly 200 posts making these well reasoned arguments against his non existent points.

Only when the topic changed and people were just generally enjoying conversation with each other did he step in again to stir things up by saying that no, *actually*, the reason CYOA games should be removed was because it wasn't fair to them that parser games always won the contest , that showed a clear bias against them, etc. (And he still hated them...because of all the reading.)

Now I and a couple of others recognized this as confirming the already suspected trolling right away, but his second post contained so much long winded self important faggotry that it blended in too well with, you know, just the normal sort of posting over there that the mods were bamboozled into just letting him do it while chiding everyone who saw through the BS for "provocative posts" and finger waggling that sarcasm wasn't 'productive'.

Like no shit, nothing about the thread was productive because the OP never had a point to begin with besides wanting CYOAs removed from his sight because of his personal dislike of reading. Highlighting how idiotic his posts were meanwhile was something everyone could enjoy.

And then they shut down the thread because, well they're still CoG lite and terminally unfun, so that's just what they do. Dan Fabulich is still over there coating things with slime and trying to snag more authors in his webbing.

3 years ago
Lol, I'm glad everyone was too apathetic to pay attention to this thread.

End will have a funny story for you guys later.

I'm now obligated for political reasons to SCORN the IFComp and the entire IF community, but I actually still really like the games, and I had plans for enticing epics out of you guys next year. All very complicated stuff now, why must lame and unfun people insist on causing divisions between IF communities by being such little pissbabies?

3 years ago
Last day for the IFComp so I just got my votes in.

Even without their boring shitty mods randomly turning against CYS, I think this would've been the year I just got so over intfiction.

Here we are with over a hundred games for a much anticipated contest, and half of them are the most mediocre dribblings that I'm pretty sure were originally written out on the back of a napkin. Useless, empty little bits of fluff. Completely linear and a failure even in the writing sense.

A year.
A fucking year they had to prepare for this.

If we'd decided to enter this contest, anyone here could've smoke fully half the entrants without even trying. Hell, even with the heavy bias against CYS among the intfiction crowd, the general bias against CYOAs, and the organized attacks from Mother Tranny and Friends we'd be dealing with now I'm still convinced we'd end up with enough good ratings from the oblivious to shake up their little world.

Goddamn do I miss when people had any fucking standards or sense of self awareness and shame at all.