Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago
broke ass link

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Wait... it doesn't even give you a result... why?

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Oh.  Thanks.

It's a little weird...  But I like it.  It really made me think for some reason, and when the old lady dissed me for not picking her, I was really sad.  crying

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Just did the first choice and I doomed the accountant and he got pissed, told me to go apologize to his 3 daughters and go kill myself. Lol.

I'm liking this already.

EDIT: Gah, this is getting difficult.

I should doom the CEO of the Healthcare Organization since that might cause the most chaos.

But dooming a 5 year old kid is almost too good to pass up.

EDIT 2: Saved the kid. Maybe they'll grow up to be a serial killer.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

"Introduce a little anarchy into their system." 

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Holy fuck that made me feel. Seriously. Like the time I had the choice to save either the doctor or the lawyer... The lawyer was a douche, and the doctor begged for death... That game grabs you by the balls with the feels

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved the slacker. Doomed the accountant.
Saved the soldier. Doomed the tree hugger.
Saved the kid. Doomed the do gooder.
Saved the construction worker. Doomed the whiner.
Saved the murderess. Doomed the old man.
Saved the suicidal doctor. Doomed the lying lawyer. (Lol at the lawyer's response)
Saved the truck driver. Doomed the teenager.

Fun, but sort of disappointed that there was no proper end and it just restarts.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

WHAT!? You and me did the same thing! The only difference is I saved the old man and killed the murderess.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

The biggest problem I had with the lawyer wasn't so much that he was an asshole, but that he lied to me on several occasions. The whiner and the teenager did the same thing.

I'm not going to save someone who's lying to me.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Yeah, that's what I did. Honestly, why lie for your life? Maybe if they didn't lie, they'd be alive.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Damn Chris, I did the exact same thing as you.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

It's a demo, according to the author. A WIP.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I thought it was an old woman...  Eh.  What evs.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved the slacker.
Saved the tree-hugger (reasoning was soldier could die the day after I save him anyway, so why bother).
Saved the kid.
Saved the construction worker.
Saved murderess.
Saved lawyer (hey, doc wanted to die).
Saved teen (truck driver had 3 hit and runs).

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved the slacker, too, 'cuz the lawyer may not have had the red text, but his application was still BS. Falsifying documents, embezzling, and accepting bribes, but he acted like he only ever broke a rule in the name of justice. :P Saved the soldier because, hey, I might owe him ... though he's an ass when you let him die, practically calling you a terrorist, and the tree hugger is just like "well... good for him."

Saved the kid because ... killing a 5 year old? =\ Besides, the lady had lived long enough that her company wasn't likely to die out without her. Saved the construction worker because the other guy just annoyed the f*ck out of me. Saved the murderess because the guy was 92 and I value potential. She had more. Saved the doctor because the lawyer lied through his teeth. Pissed them both off, of course, but it was funny. xD

I saved the truck driver. The teen was a lying, unrepentant, snotty brat and while the truck driver didn't have a clean record either, he was honest about it and again, I value potential. The teenager committed arson and intends to do it again. I could easily see him stepping behind the wheel drunk and it's likely, if he continues, that he'll kill more than three people. The truck driver's got a record, but at least he's older. He'll die sooner. xD 

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved the accountant. Doomed the slacker.
Saved the soldier. Doomed the tree hugger.
Saved the do gooder. Doomed the kid.
Saved the construction worker. Doomed the whiner.
Saved the murderess. Doomed the old man.
Saved the suicidal doctor. Doomed the lying lawyer. 
Saved the truck driver. Doomed the teenager.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Honestly, I'm tempted to make a CYOS after this, partly because I'd like to see the consequences of my choices. The actual consequences, not just "did they get pissed off that they're dying?" xD

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Yeah I was hoping it would tell me what the people did with their lives due to my choice, like did the teen go on a Columbine murder spree because I doomed him? Did the murderess go on to kill someone else because I saved her? Etc.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Exactly. I mean, after all, they each have a few days to spend however they like... them getting mad or being disappointed (save for the Doctor) was obvious, but I want to know what happened in those few days, and what happened later down the line for the ones I let live.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Ever read Ikigami?  

People are randomly selected to die for the good of the country, and given 24 hour notice.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Lol.

The only thing that irritates me more than manga is manga that makes no fucking sense. 

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

... Yeah, I think that's just called "manga" cheeky

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago
I think I made all the wrong choices. I honestly don't even know why I saved the treehugger.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved the accountant; Doomed the slacker

Saved the soldier; Doomed the environmental activist

Saved the kid; Doomed the nonprofit lady (Holy shit so many feels on that one, I had to)

Saved the construction worker; Doomed the telemarketer

Saved the widow; Doomed the old man

Saved the doctor; Doomed the lawyer

Saved the trucker; Killed the arson

Damn that's a good game!

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I saved the:

Accountant

Environmental Activist

Nonprofit Lady

Construction Worker (I fucking hate Telemarketers)

Widow

Doctor

Trucker

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

You killed the 5 year old?

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I mean logically it's the best choice, I was just sooooo guilt tripped on that one

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Too be fair it's not like a CEO of a company is doing all the life saving-ness.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

True, but she does actually do a lot of good for people. Plus the non-profit lady is a bitch when you kill her. Most people were like "Oh yeah I guess I see why you made that choice" but with her it's like "You saved a 5 year old kid? You're a fucking monster!"

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago
Hey, there are a lot of cases where I would have killed both parties if I could've.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Much necro. Very proud of self.

I decided to do that in my latest playthrough. Can't call yourself a sociopath if you don't kill a kid when you have the chance!

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

That's the point.  There's not a right and a wrong decision- it's just your decision.

Sometimes you're choosing between two good people, sometimes you're choosing between two bad ones.  You're meant to think about what you chose and why. 

If you knew what happened with the people, what they did with the life you gave them, you'd know which choice was the "right" one.  You wouldn't keep thinking about it after the game was over.

To me, the entire game would be ruined if it told you at the end what the results of your decisions were.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

"You wouldn't keep thinking about it after the game was over."

Why? As it stands I'm not really thinking about these fictitious people now. If I got some resolution I'd be more likely to think about them since there would actually be an impact.

Since there really isn't any of that, I might as well just been LARPING as Two Face and flipped a coin.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Dammit, now I wish I would've suggested a Batman game way back in the days when I had LARP-y friends...

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I disagree completely.

There's no impact if I know "oh, I picked the slacker and he didn't actually change his life, so I went back and picked the other guy instead," or "I picked the kid, and he turned out to be President, so I don't feel bad about the old lady." 

As opposed to "I wonder if the slacker did anything with his life," or "Did picking the kid really mean a lot more innocent kids died?"

Giving us the resolution turns it from something thought-provoking into nothing but a game.

It makes a difference if it's "I picked him because the outcome was X" versus "I picked him for X reason, I wonder if it was the right thing to do."

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Agreed with Seth. The whole point of the game was to provoke thought, in my eyes. So just telling us our outcomes shuns that entire... aspect.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

We're going to have to disagree, because I don't think it's really all that thought provoking to begin with.

If this situation happened in real life, I really wouldn't be thinking about any of these people after I already decided whether they lived or died. I might think about the situation itself or wonder why I was picked to make these decisions in the first place, but not the actual people.

The effect here is even less considering these aren't even real people.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I think I understand both sides of this debate and I realize that the game isn't actually focusing on the consequences, but rather the decision you've made. However, it doesn't necessarily sit well with me, deciding who lives or dies in all those scenarios without getting to see any consequence to your choices.

Also, I don't think the point of the game is not to know. I think the point of it is "what does this choice say about me" which is something you can reflect on regardless. Knowing the consequences doesn't change that, especially if you've picked between what you consider the lesser of the two evils. I'd just like it if they gave consequences, but saved them for the very end and in the order that you made your choices so that you have time to think about your answers and what they mean to you. 

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Why did so many people save the truck driver? The guy did 3 hit and runs and when it came to defending himself, told you a story about someone else. 

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

The fact that the teenager was a whining bitch and a liar might be the reason.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I told you my reasons already. "The teen was a lying, unrepentant, snotty brat and while the truck driver didn't have a clean record either, he was honest about it and again, I value potential. The teenager committed arson and intends to do it again. I could easily see him stepping behind the wheel drunk and it's likely, if he continues, that he'll kill more than three people. The truck driver's got a record, but at least he's older. He'll die sooner." 

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago
I saved the truck driver because I thought he was saying that he was going to be driving the kid across the country to apologize.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved the slacker
 I mainly focused on the crimes and ages here. Time left influenced my decision pretty heavily. The last part of the accountant's letter, the bribe offer, pissed me off.
Saved the soldier
I just didn't like the environmentalist that much.
Saved the kid
Logically the non-profit woman was probably a better choice, but I tried to go off of what I would do if I had to actually make that decision. I couldn't think about killing the kid for the "greater good."
Saved the construction worker

No one likes a whiner. I liked that the construction worker didn't try to give a guilt trip.
Saved the murderess

The elderly woman did not have that much time left. Her arthritis would make her remaining time less comfortable for her. It didn't seem likely the murderess would murder again.

Saved the doctor

The doctor didn't lie to me, but I knew he wanted to die. The lawyer lied to me repeatedly, but wanted to live. I figured if I saved the doctor he might realize life is worth living possibly. The lawyer just wasn't a likeable enough guy compared to the doctor.

Saved the truck driver

The arsonist repeatedly lied to me and showed that he was thinking about continuing his crimes. The trunk driver seemed to be at least a little regretful of his crimes.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Saved: Why:

Slacker: Wasn't being arrogant. Officer kept pleading that I'm not saving him, I'm saving other people. 

Hippie: I don't support war. Don't like people killing each other.

Kid: I couldn't help it. Why doom a kid? 

Assistant: I hate cussing. -_- Though if I could, I'd have doomed them both. I hate lying too.

Murderer: The old man didn't have long to live anyway. Also, I can understand what she did and why she did it.

Doctor: I didn't even have to go through the entire first paragraph to choose that one. He was willing to sacrifice while the lawyer basically said 'me me me me me' and lied a bunch.

Truck Driver: Didn't lie.

(I know I'm necroing, but this is quite interesting.)

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I know this is a huge necro, but;

Let the drifter live, on the condition that if he didn't publish a book or something in the next year I would come and kill him personally. (Which I could do, since it sent me all his information, and he probably has a facebook.) The angry letter that Devin sent made me feel a lot better about killing him.

Saved the environmental activist, America has like, a billion soldiers, especially people who are "just grunts," and he probably would have died soon anyway. Again, that angry letter was hilarious with its indignant stupidity.

Saved the kid first, because I heard a lot about her response. I stuck to that decision, because overpopulation sucks, and saving a lot of people will contribute to that.

Killed the telemarketer. Yes, he was promising, like the drifter, but he was still a fucking telemarketer. I hope his end was painful.

Let the murderess live. The old guy didn't seem like he'd be so troubled by it if he read what I read too. Introducing someone to a community who overcompensates with good deeds because of a past crime is always a sure way to help it.

Killed the lawyer. He was a fucking asshole, (Seriously, not only does he lie to your face, but he sounds like a real fucking douchebag!) and the doctor would have killed himself anyway. I know he did this because he didn't want to kill himself, but if you can't even do it yourself, then mayhaps you shouldn't fucking do it. And, in answer to the lawyer's question (What good would the law be without us?): Judge Dredd. Of course, maybe he'd be better at doing this kind of thing than I am. And in answer to his other question (Did a lawyer kill your mother or something?): No, but fucking "Winners" like you killed my soul.

Killed the pyro. He sounded like a real creep, the stereotypical problem kid. The trucker seemed pretty endearing somehow.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Cool game.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Wow, this game is awesome! ^_^

Seriously, this is the exact kind of thing I was trying to do with POF, only not nearly as well as this guy does it. If anyone cares, I chose:

1. The young guy whose dad died. (The other guy was a jerk and his daughters can get jobs without him.)

2. The soldier. (I just wanted the other guy to shut up about the environment.)

3. The little boy. (Actually think the old lady was a bit of a bitch for saying it was the wrong decision to save a 5 year old boy. Had a lol moment when his notice just said "yey".)

4. The ass-hole guy. (... Yeah, he was kind of an ass-hole, but the other guy was a whiny little bitch... Ass-hole wins.) :p

5. The old guy. (He just seemed really nice. ^_^)

6. The lawyer. (Funnily enough this was actually the hardest one. I respected the other guy wanting to save somebody else's life, but at the same time I really, really wanted to kill the lawyer... I guess in the end I didn't want a note from that doctor saying he was going to kill himself anyway.) cheeky

7. The pyromaniac. (... Yeah he's probably going to set his girlfriend on fire, but the other guy ran over three people so... Kind of a lose-lose.)

So yeah, fun game! Gonna play it again and save the other people now, just for the hell of it.

... Tell you what though, this game should give you the option to let them both die... Just for funsies ^_^

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

I thought we would get the option to kill both since in the beginning I think it said something about if you don't make a decision then both of them die.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Then I would have ended up doing that for most of them.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Then both are mad at you :P

Anyone else bummed out that the story didn't go anywhere? Choosing who dies or lives was nice and all but it felt like it had no soul in the end :(

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Sort of felt the CEO/kid was too easy of a choice. There is really no reason not to pick the kid to live. Even if you're picking the CEO for the "Good of the many" there is no indication that someone just as competent isn't going to take over after her.

They probably should've gave the kid an incurable disease (not necessarily fatal) or had mental handicaps to make the choice slightly harder.

Has anyone played this?

9 years ago

Yeah, it was too easy. And the lady was a dick afterwards so it made it easier. As if none else can continue her work...