Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

New Sci-fi Game - Achilles

8 years ago

Didn't see an announcement for this, so I'm making one!

Achilles is a game by Chase223 with help from Steve24833 (why these guys love boring names with random strings of numbers attached so much is anyone's guess...).

In it you're a General commanding a fleet of battleships and making Important Decisions that effect the lives of billions and the fate of humanity and the various alien races they're in contact with. And this isn't just the usual cheesy 'only you can decide the fate of the galaxy' hyperbole, your choices really do have consequences and the game tracks your military strength and relationships with other powers in addition to a bunch of other factors. 

Anyway if that doesn't sound rad and like something you want to play you obviously must be the type who would enjoy  this game instead and are also probably gay as hell. (not that there's anything wrong with that! the gay part I mean, obviously there is something severely wrong with you if you enjoy poorly written cat fucking over awesome space adventures)

e: ffs why is it so hard to make links on this board

8 years ago

Yeah, this story caught my interest while I was stalking browsing your experience points and seeing what you were recently rating. After laughing at your comments about various WC stories, I saw this one standing out from the mockery and getting praised instead.

8 years ago

I JUST wrote that review, the WC ones were from this morning and so you must have just been sitting there on my EXP page hitting F5 all day, That's pretty weird man.

8 years ago

Lol, I just found all of them at once!

Anyway, so far this looks like a story that should get featured.

8 years ago

This probably should be in the Parlor Room.

I definitely liked this one.

Final stats were something like

ALLIANCE SCUM: 20

LIZARD SAVAGES: 80

THE GLORIOUS HUMAN RACE: 475

MULTICULTURAL LIBERAL SICKNESS: 0

I actually didn't start out as a jackboot stepping on the face of freedom forever either, just sort of started happening after the assassination attempt.

8 years ago

It's funny, I was just thinking your old Paradise Violated story could use a rating system like that.

And sounds like I really need to play through again as less of a liberal hippy dipshit. Though I see you had a high relationship with the lizard monsters even as a xenophobic asshole...but then again they loved it every time I went all Captain Kirk on their asses and started punching them out so I guess that makes sense.

Also, on the reviews page, what does it mean when it shows 'with a score of [whatever]' after the reviewers name? Is the game keeping track of an overall score too?

e: I didn't even think of the Parlor Room. Shows how well I know this site...anyway a mod could move this?

8 years ago

The game is great and should be featured.

8 years ago

I found it quite compelling. Also ended up the warmonger type haha!

8 years ago

@Killa_Robot

I was fine with the "Problem -> Solution -> Repeat", method of playing the game for the most part,but when the war happened I would have preferred to be a little more proactive. I was never given the chance to do assassinations or spy, or learn what was happening from behind us. Despite us losing many resources, we just kind of ignored it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here because I actually thought it was a strength of the game and kind of unique that you played a General, not Actionguy McTwofists. In addition to the choices the player gets to make, the character is presumably getting reports and giving orders to dozens (hundreds?) of fleets all over the Galaxy, which it turns out is quite large. The fact that you, the player, learn about the sneak attacks at all means that the General is getting reports on that too and that your men are over there, it's just that the focus remains where the main fighting is taking place. 

8 years ago
I didn't mean to do any of that personally, I meant as orders.

If someone tried to assassinate you, why wasn't there an option for you to try and hire some assassins? Why were we never given the opportunity to order spies around and learn about where we should strike next? Why couldn't we investigate the stuff from behind if all we were doing is getting info and giving orders?

The war just didn't feel different from the rest of the game, which was kind of annoying. Being able to manage your assets like that would have made it feel more like an actual war.

8 years ago

Hey guys, I'm glad everyone likes the game. Thank you all, especially Mizal for making this post. This is my first time being able to get around and see the forums since making the game, and I'm glad people enjoyed it. I'm currently working on the sequel with my budy/captor Chase223, but I'm not exactly sure when that'll be ready. But thanks everyone. And hey, Getting on the Sci-Fi category: Pretty cool, right? This was a game where I put all Chase's nonsenscial ideas about alien races and cultures and sci-fi vehicles as well as my own and for some reason everyone enjoyed it. So thank you.